New stuff, finally.

A moderately quick mix…

I’d recorded the drums and bass, and a couple of guitar tracks a week ago, and over the following week and mixed those, more or less, before doing the vocals and this mix today.

http://users.ncable.net.au/~bakka/Lazy_Gene_Theory-End_Of_Species.wma

Should work shortly.

Everything went through my berry UB2442-fx pro desk.
NT1 on drum room mic, room guitar cab, vocals
peavey 480s on drum OH
sm57 on snare, close guitar amp
ATM25 on kick, eqed direct out on that channel also used for kick
EV something on floor tom, but not used in mix.
Morley bad horsie wah into a Berry vtone GDI-21 for the solo (four hours worth, that was. I’d alwasy played the start how it is, more or less, but had to come up with a suitable 2nd half).
Bass through a berry Ultra-GI.

Kjaerhaus classic reverb, compressor, master limiter.
Fasoft compressor and echo
Glaceverb reverb
Mastered in Ozone.

Have a listen, let me know any suggestions.

Willy.

No problems with timing, singing is good, and guitar playing is good.

Right now, you’ve got a lot of sonic energy below 100 Hz, and a lot in a fairly narrow band of midrange. I think that the recording would gain from spreading things around in the frequency spectrum a bit more. So most of my suggestions have to do with EQ.

Bass guitar lacks punch and definition. It might help if you use EQ to reduce bass guitar frequencies that are below 100HZ and bringing up level of what is left. Right now the frequencies of the bass guitar and kick drum are right on top of each other, and this will also help separate them a little. On the kick drum it might be worthwile to try to use EQ to bring out the snap from the beater strike. I believe that will do a lot to add some punch and to make the kick drum beat stand out better in the mix.

I think that you did a good job recording the lead and rhythm guitars. However, on my monitors they don’t sound very full. You have EQ’d out most of the low frequencies. But I think that this is probably going to work well when the rest of the mix is adjusted. My guess is that after you EQ out some of the lowest frequencies from the bass guitar the bass and guitar will then fit together for a nice full sound.

Listen to the s and t sounds in the vocal. On my monitors they are a bit hard to hear. That signals to me that you might want to EQ very slighly to increase the higher frequencies in the vocals. I think that the overall effect would add life to the vocals.

What you hear on your monitor speakers might differ from what I hear on mine. In particular, my monitors have a lot of low frequency response. So, my comments are based on comparison to well recorded CDs that I have been listening

<!–QuoteBegin>

What you hear on your monitor speakers might differ from what I hear on mine. In particular, my monitors have a lot of low frequency response. So, my comments are based on comparison to well recorded CDs that I have been listening

It’s all fair, I’ll take it on board and see where I can take it. FWIW, I’m mixing on a pair of Yorkville YSM1i, and in the past I’ve had trouble with not having enough bottom end on other systems… go figure.