New Toy

and it’s not even Christmas

After 6 years of recording with a Shure stage mic, I finally took the plunge and got a relatively cheap Audio technica AT2020.
Short demo here (1.55 and 55 is the intro):slight_smile:
Love new toys :)

Demo

uhum… better stuff = better performance. Subtle but it’s there in the way you sang!

I have a couple AT2020’s Ian. IMO they are swell mic’s for the money. Are they gonna sound like a $3000 Neumann? No. But don’t tell anybody!

D

Purplelishious!

Excellent. In Rock, my favorite Purple album. Do you do that song in the clubs there?

Nicccccccceeeeeeeeeee Ian!

Quote: (kevinmyers @ Feb. 24 2009, 5:33 PM)

Excellent. In Rock, my favorite Purple album. Do you do that song in the clubs there?

Depends on who's in! A lot of the Indians and Egyptians, Jordanians etc, are big Rock fanatics. However, have to cheat and get the girls to do a smooth version of the screaming section (the way Blackmore's Night do it). My age, lungs and testicles are not up to that.

By the way: That's the song that changed my musical life. I went from Hermans hermits to Deep Purple overnight. Yup! In Rock is still my favorite album and just to please Yaz, it was played on a Gibson :) :whistle:
Quote: (DEAD CERTAIN @ Feb. 24 2009, 3:00 PM)

I have a couple AT2020's Ian. IMO they are swell mic's for the money. Are they gonna sound like a $3000 Neumann? No. But don't tell anybody!

D

Don't matter! A Neumann ain't gonna make me sound like Ian Gillan :)

Played on a Gibson! :agree:

I’m rather glad you don’t sound like Ian Gillan, I like the sounds of Ian Brough much better myself, thank you very much! :agree:

Quote: (Yaz @ Feb. 25 2009, 4:46 AM)

Played on a Gibson!
:agree:

I'm rather glad you don't sound like Ian Gillan, I like the sounds of Ian Brough much better myself, thank you very much! :agree:

Knew you'd like the Gison quote :) To be honest, to this day the guitar sounds on that album still blow me away. Some of the sounds on 'Hard Lovin' Man' were just amazing. Mr Blackmore was and still is unique!
Btw, Gillans voice on Child In Time was truly great, but I've seen him live at least 10 times and never been impressed.
Quote: (kevinmyers @ Feb. 24 2009, 5:33 PM)

By the way Kev. we never made Club standard yet :) Actually, it's not allowed to have a part time band and play in clubs in Dubai. Here you can only do what your work permit says you can do. My work permit says 'Fire Protection Manager' so I could not perform at any public venue. The fine is around $3000. So we play private gigs like weddings and company parties which might be in clubs that are closed to the public for the night.

Well, you could always claim you were just there to make sure no one burned the club down. :laugh: Seriously, it still sounds like a good gig, and you shouldn’t have to worry about the crowd getting too rowdy.