New user question

Viewing Midi tracks during recording

I am a brand new user of N-Track. I have connected a midi kybd
to my computer using a USB Midisport 4X4 device. I do not know
how to view the recording track while I am playing. Can anyone tell
me how to do this, please? I think it may be recording as it wants to
save the “song”, unless that is the default response when shutting down.
I can see the device in the lists and can select it just fine.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am a brand new user of N-Track. I have connected a midi kybd
to my computer using a USB Midisport 4X4 device. I do not know
how to view the recording track while I am playing. Can anyone tell
me how to do this, please? I think it may be recording as it wants to
save the "song", unless that is the default response when shutting down.
I can see the device in the lists and can select it just fine.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure what you mean by "view the recording track while I am playing", but assuming you mean real-time drawing of the MIDI events as you're recording, N-track doesn't do that AFAIK. It shows the recorded MIDI clip in the track after you're done recording, which you can use the Piano Roll to edit in detail later.

Now assuming I'm way off in the above, is it that you just aren't able to record MIDI events at all, or is it just that N-track isn't playing back what you recorded through your MIDI keyboard? If you haven't done so already, try looking at the track's properties and checking the transmit/receive channels to see that they match up with your keyboard's settings. Also, for basic setup, you might have a look at the "Recording MIDI Tracks" section in the manual here.

HTH

Tony

Thank you, Tony. You were correct about my wanting to see it in real time.
Since I am not the one who will actually play the keyboard, I was trying
to make sure it would do what I wanted. I guess I will play some notes
and save them, then try playing back. I have the Manual in print form,
I just did not see what I was looking for.

Again, Thank you for your response. It helped.

Nick

First, there’s a toolbar button near the top center that, when you click it, cycles between a mike, a mike and keyboard, and a keyboard. If you only want to record MIDI, it’s best to set that to “keyboard”. But you can also have it in “mike and keyboard” setting. If it shows mike only, then that’s your problem.

Next, make sure the MIDI track you’re recording to has the red Record dot turned on.

Finally, hit the Record button, play a few keys, and hit Stop. You should see the area where the recording time occurred turn light gray (rather than nearly black), with some small black dots or dashes in it corresponding to the notes you played. If not, then something isn’t set up right yet.

Yes, n-Track will almost always ask you to save the song – if you’ve done anything that might have changed anything. So that’s not a good indication.

If the above doesn’t get you going, the next thing (well, shoulda really been the first thing for you to do) is to make sure you have your MIDI device selected as an input for n-Track. Go to “Properties -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI Devices” and make sure the MidiSport input for the connector you’re using is selected – most likely, “A” (if it’s like the 2x2, which is what I use).

If you’re going to use audio as well as MIDI, be sure to set it to use Wave timer rather than system timer while you’re in the area. Also, be sure to uncheck both boxes for “Preferences -> Options -> Use System timer for”. Note that these options don’t work for all built-in soundcards.

HTH :)

Thank you, learjeff. I had found the mic/kybd button and was able
to select the input device. I did not know about the record button
so will go home in a bit and play with it. Thank you.