new Vista Computer problems

pops and crackles on new system

my old HP finally crashed in the middle of a session - I bought a new machine - it has Microsoft Vista (annoying).

I re-installed everything - now my track all play with pops and crackles.

any help?

Just newly recorded tracks or do ones recorded on your old rig play pops & crackles, too? What about other sound files - .wav, mp3, whatever - that you didn’t record? How do they sound?

What’s the sound card?

other files are fine - only ntrack plays ‘dirty’ - I use my tascam us 122 for sound card via usb

I just re routed my input to my mixer from the headphone jack on the front of the computer and all is well - must be a conflict with my tascam.

For those of you having the same problem - my solution was to get a fair amount of power to the usb connection. The new computer had power issues with a lot of usb plugs. I bought a 29.95 wall powered USB hub - it fixed the quality of the sound right away.Powered USB hub

Quote: (poppawillis @ Oct. 30 2007, 4:12 PM)

my old HP finally crashed in the middle of a session - I bought a new machine - it has Microsoft Vista (annoying).

I re-installed everything - now my track all play with pops and crackles.

any help?

Hi PW, removing SuperFetch from vista can help alot. I had pops and cracks untill I disabled this microsoft program. See my post "vista and ntrack v5".
Tom

Thanx - I’ll check it out.

Hi Gents:

I don’t think this reply is going “Off Topic”…
But “pop’s-and-click’s” appear to get reported here, on the Board, quite often…

Having said that, posting resolves to “Pop’s-and-Click’s” whenever and where ever you can on the Board’s threads can very well help whoever reads the resolves, whenever they get posted…

I have a suggestion that could very well help n-Track users who finds themselves with these issues…

Most of us connect to the Internet with the same computer that we use for recording with…
SO…
to protect ourselves from viruses, Mal ware, spy ware and Trojans and all, we have installed all kinds of whatever software we use that works for us… to keep all this stuff, in check…

Here, I use an application called Panda Antivirus+Firewall 2008…
It’s not very pricey…

I’m NOT Selling anything…

It works for me and many of the Audio Heavy-Weights out there claim that this Utility works for them and their set-ups better than some of the other Virus Applications…
Well, to-each-his-own…

However, all of these utilities begin looking at how you use your machine and watch how you use you installed programs and applications when you are on-line and off-line or not connected to the Internet…

Recently, I’ve been using and editing video projects with my setup…
This stresses my P-111 to the limit…
Pops-and-Clicks in the audio are showing up where they never did…

It doesn’t seem to be present in the “END Product” of the work I do…
but …
it’s there while I’m in the editing process…

The Panda Application appears to be looking at the work I’m producing and adding to the machine’s Stress Level…
I can see now why some of these BIG-TIME Audio guys use this Panda Utility…
The config. panel of Panda has some pretty detailed and High-level adjustments to control what-and-when Panda looks at when you use your machine…
On-and-Off Line…

Having said all of that…
If some of these Security Applications happen to be running in the background, this might add to the “Pops-and-Clicks” and stress your machine’s Bottom Line and add to the Pops-and-Clicks you experience with your set-ups…

Something to consider
????

Bill…