Newbee Question

How to install DirectX plug-in

How do I correctly install a DirectX plug-in? Do I download to the Faosoft folder and run exe.? VST has it’s own folder, but nothing for DX. I’m a poor dumb newbee and I’m easily baffled.

Thanx, JC

Unlike VST effects, Dx effects must be “installed” (rather than just copied to a location like VST effects). In technical terms it’s quite simple - the Operating System’s registry needs to be told where the dll for the plugin is before it can be used. The installer for the plugin should do this.

Dx plugins should therefore always come with an installer. Sometimes this will be a sophisticated installer that copies the dll (etc) to a specific directory for the plug and then registers it with the Operating System (and it you are lucky you might get some shortcuts with HELP, UNINSTALL etc).

Sometimes the installer is “dumb” and just registers the dll wherever it finds it - ie wherever you’ve unzipped the install package. Usually you can spot this type - they’re a batch file. The problem with this type is that if you then move (or delete) the folder then the plugin is gone.

Incidently there is a Dx plugin remover called DXman from Analogx that will remove the registrations for Dx plugins (incase they don’t come with an uninstaller).

HTH

Mark

EDIT: Added to WIKI. http://audioears.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_Dx_Effects

I downloaded VoiceTweakerPro, a DX plug-in, But N doesn’t see it. The exe. file loaded to my hard drive, when I ran it, it created an RBCAudio file in Program Files. N didn’t see it, so I copied the dll. to the n-Track studio file (where all the DX dll. that came with N are) and still N didn’t see it. I tried to uninstall/reinstall, but when I clicked on uninstall, Windows said I need InstallShield to open that program and InstallShield is not free! I’m sure I’m doing something stupidly wrong. Can somebody point me in the right direction

Thanx JC

Put the dll back where it was. As I said above you can’t just move Dx effect dlls around like that. Then try uninstalling.

Download DxMan from AnalogX. That will tell you if the plugin installed OK. You can remove from there too if necessary.

RBCVoice Tweaker does work in n-Track; I’ve used it.

Just tried to d/l Voice Tweaker but the d/l site gives me a 405 error. I’ll try later.

OK. Got it. Installed OK and appears as a Dx effect in n-track.

Have you re-started n-Track since installing it?

I suggest an uninstall and re-install.

First off, thank you very much MarkA, next time you’re in Phoenix I owe you many beers!
Okay, I downloaded DXMan, but before I attempt to reinstall some questions. When I run the exe. where do I want to locate the RBCAudio file? Should it be in Program Files or somewhere else? When I use the remove function on DXMan, is it the same as an uninstall? Again I greatly appreciate the help I WILL pay it foward.

Thanx JC

<!–QuoteBegin>

First off, thank you very much MarkA, next time you’re in Phoenix I owe you many beers!

Well, thankyou. As we say over here, “Mine’s a pint”.

<!–QuoteBegin>
When I run the exe. where do I want to locate the RBCAudio file? Should it be in Program Files or somewhere else?

It doesn’t matter. Might as well let it put it where it wants. N-track looks in the registry to find it rather than in a specific folder like it does for VSTs.

<!–QuoteBegin>

When I use the remove function on DXMan, is it the same as an uninstall?

It’s not quite the same. DxMan won’t actually remove the files from your PC but it will make windows “forget” about them.

Mark

Why did this happen? Apparently it’s been there the whole time. After I would install, I would check it by calling up N and click ADD NEW CHANNEL, select INSTUMENT from the popup and then DXi and it would say " no plugin installed", but my VSTi ( JamStix etc. ) would show at this stage. After a couple install cycles, I checked what came up when I brought up effects from the track mixers and VoiceTweaker showed up then. Did I do something wrong?
I guess what counts is that it works now!

Thanx
JC

<!–QuoteBegin>

Why did this happen? Apparently it’s been there the whole time. After I would install, I would check it by calling up N and click ADD NEW CHANNEL, select INSTUMENT from the popup and then DXi and it would say " no plugin installed", but my VSTi ( JamStix etc. ) would show at this stage. After a couple install cycles, I checked what came up when I brought up effects from the track mixers and VoiceTweaker showed up then. Did I do something wrong?

OK, you need to understand the difference between effects and instruments.

Things like JS are VSTi (notice the i on the end). VST instrument. VSTs (no i) are effects. Instruments make a sound, effects alter sounds.

When you went the “ADD NEW CHANNEL” route you were asking n-Track to add a new instrument, not effect. When you called up the track and added effects, you got… well, you got effects.

Dxi (instruments) and Dx (effects) are just the same, which is why Voice Tweaker didn’t show up when you did “ADD CHANNEL” but did when you added an effect to a track. It’s an effect not and instrument

Make sense?

Mark