Newbie question on recording voiceovers

How do u edit the same track & continue?

Hi!

I am only using the recording software for voiceover purposes.

Say I record 20 seconds of copy and then I make a mistake. How do I stop the record process and pick up from there on the same track? Every time I hit record again, another track is added automatically. I just want to continue on with the first track.

Gary

I am using a version 3.3 and what you are requesting cannot be done. I doubt if the newer version allows you to perform that procedure.

Is there a spot in your copy where you would be able to “pick up” again with a second track? That is how many of us overcome this issue.With a little bit of tweaking, the two or more tracks would almost be seamless.

Yeah, it can be done.

Either use punch-in. (No good asking me, I don’t use it), or click the red dot on the recording VU and select “Left Channel Record” to “track one” or whatever. Then put the cursor at the point of the mistake and hit record.

You might need to play around to get the exact process (especially find a gap) but it should work.

Alternatively, just record the new bit to a new track and comp the parts together at the end. Pretty easy in N-track once you’ve got the hand of it.

Mark

Once you get your tracks aligned and save it…save it again as another name. Just in case.

Then render the tracks down to one…go ot the menu bar…

file, mixdown. You will see a few options at this point…choose which are appropriate for you…

“One last chance” asked me how to comp tracks via PM but I thought I’d post here for the benefit of others…

There are many ways to do this. This is just one of them that works for me.

First up, the two tools that I use are “Edit–Non Destructive–>Splice” and “Splice at the start of section”. I like these so much I’ve put them on my tool bar (Right click a blank part of the toolbar to customise it).

Secondly, make sure you are in non-destructive editing mode (“Edit–>Editing Mode”)

Now lets assume I’ve got two vocal tracks that I want to make one good one out of both… I could cut and paste bits of one into the other (easier for just a few edits), or I could just make a new track with the new bits in. Lets do the latter…

Add a new blank audio track. Move it up so it is underneath the two source tracks in the timeline view.

Adjust the tempo of N-track to the tempo of the song, and turn on the grid (you did record using a click track or drum beat didn’t you?). Note for free form speech you can omit this step.

Now, lets assume the first 10 seconds or few bars of the first take are OK. Drag the mouse across them in the timeline and hit the “splice” icon that we put on the tool bar earlier. N-track will split the track and put little purple circles on the join.

Now, press SHIFT and CNTRL and drag that section of track to the new blank track (SHIFT will keep it in the same place in time). Now you have your first bit of new track in place.

Now repeat for all the other bits of the song/performance.

Now (lets assume it is a song), perhaps the first chorus is sung much better than the second chorus so we want to use the first chorus in both places. Highlight the second chorus (oh for audio scrub!!!), and press CNTRL–> or Edit–>cut. It should disappear. Go to the first chorus and highlight it. Press CNTRL-C (or edit–>copy), go back to the blank section that was the second chorus and highlight it. Press CNTRL–>V or Edit–>paste.

Now this is much easier with the grid on (for songs at least), but sometimes word-boundaries and silences fall between the bar lines. So lets change the grid spacing. SHIFT-click the grid toolbar icon. In the resultant properties, set “snap” to “beat” or some other setting. I set “display grid always” too so even when you turn off snapping, the grid is still visible.

Now you can select inside the bar too - depending on what snap resolution is set. Sometimes it’s necessary to turn the grid off to get right in close but hey…

You need to get familiar with ZOOM to make this work right. Zoom out to see the whole song… pinpoint the second chorus… zoom in to get accurate enough to cut and paste… that kind of thing.

The odd word that is out of time can be moved int eh same way. Splice it out, TURN OFF THE GRID, and CNTRL-drag it a little either way as required.

Also you may get “clicks” on the joins between parts. To get over them, zoom right in (right in!) and draw a volume evolution (less than a few milliseconds), of zero (or very low) over the join, and then back up to 0db for the new part.

This is probably explained better in the manual, and this is just one of many ways of acheiving the same thing. It’s a bit fiddly at first but is actually really easy, and very powerful once you get a hang of it.

Mark

I did some voiceover work a while ago for a friend that had put together a flash web tutorial for some software he wrote.
Was the first time I had done a voice over rathar than music with N.

I just broke it up into sections/phrases and then recorded him saying each one 3 or 4 times (maybe more if he stuffed it up)
Then I comp’d together each phrase using the best bits from each take.

I just told him "If you make a mistake just keep going. Even if he stumbled a bit and then re-said a word it was OK cause you can just cut and paste and move things around. The timing isn’t so important when recording the voice, just getting as many good takes as possible to give you the most options.

I later on needed to insert silence here and there anyway to get the timing right

All takes were on separate tracks.
Don’t worry about getting them onto one single track until you have comp’d it all and then mixdown to 1 just to tidy things up.
Also helps to save each section or phrase as separate wav files (after you’ve comp’d each one) and then as a last step import them all into a new song and move them around to get your timing right.

HTH,
Rich