Newbie question

Saving transferred waves

Hi Folks,

I have a seemingly basic question upon which I’m stuck. I’m trying to transfer wave files from my Fostex MR-8 into N-Track.

I’m able to accesss/import the wave files on my flash card and they play fine in N-Track, but I can’t seem to save my work. I’ve consulted the manual and forum can’t seem to get it right. I try to save the file as a “packed song file” and it seems fine and I can see a file saved to my computer’s hard drive. But once I remove my flash card from my reader, my computer can’t see my wave files any longer.

I know I’ve got a lot to learn and I hate to sound like a pest, but I would really appreciate some help, because I’m totally stuck.

Thx again and rock on.

If you want to work with the wav files in n-Track you would be much better off creating a new directory, for each song, on your harddisk and copying the wav files from your flash card to there.

Then create a new n-Track sng file, import the wavs from your new directory, and save the sng file (not as a packed song file). All should be well.

Packed song file is really an option for moving songs around (possibly between computers) - not for “normal” saving.

It seems to do what it’s supposed to do on my system but I wonder if it works properly if you have not saved the sng file first…

EDIT: THere is an option in the Packed Song dialogue that allows you to select eithe “All tracks” or “Selected Tracks”. Are you sure you’ve selected “All tracks”? Either way, don’t use Packed Song files for normal editing.

Mark

Alright alright alright.

I think what you’ve suggested is working (and is so obvious, I’m frankly a little embarrassed).

Just so I’m clear, when you say “create a new directory” do you mean create a new folder and dump the individual song’s tracks to that folder? What I think you’re telling me to do seems to work fine.

One more question, though. The file size looks rather small when I look at it as a saved sng in my hard drive. The saved sng is only 154kb, but the waves are about 50 mbs total. Am I correct in thinking the machine is saving the sng info. and just accessing the larger file on my hard drive? Does this question make sense?

Many thanks again for your help. I guess we’re both up late.

Cheers, Mouthbreather

<!–QuoteBegin>

Just so I’m clear, when you say “create a new directory” do you mean create a new folder and dump the individual song’s tracks to that folder? What I think you’re telling me to do seems to work fine.

That’s correct.

<!–QuoteBegin>

One more question, though. The file size looks rather small when I look at it as a saved sng in my hard drive. The saved sng is only 154kb, but the waves are about 50 mbs total. Am I correct in thinking the machine is saving the sng info. and just accessing the larger file on my hard drive? Does this question make sense?

Correct again. The n-Track sng file just references the WAVs so they need to stay with the sng file. It gets much easier to manage your songs if you create a new folder for each one.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Many thanks again for your help. I guess we’re both up late.

Incorrect ( :p ). There are other places in the world you know!

Excellent!

Well, Mark, I thank you wherever you are! You are the man.

Hi Mouthbreather:
This is quite a Board… It covers Time zones that stretch just about around the world. Ya post your issue, ya get your answer… These guys are Clever… as well… Keep readin the threads… There’s some good Off Topic readin up here… too…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

much better off creating a new directory

This statement means that Mark A is a crusty old DOS guy-we just can’t seem to call em folders.

<!–QuoteBegin>

This statement means that Mark A is a crusty old DOS guy-we just can’t seem to call em folders.

Yep.

Folder?

you old farts. That’s why I like this place. makes me feel young. I’m 24, but everyone I know is younger (my finace is 19), so I feel old a lot. Nice to be the youngin :D

Anyway, I second creating a new folder (directory) for each song fie. Name the folder (song A). Then be sure all the songs are saved in that folder. Make sure “save song files to current directory” (or whatever) is selected in “preferences” (this is the default, I believe) or all the song files will be saved in some other folder you’ll never find if you need to export the files, etc.

Also, don’t fear asking questions. We all don’t know stuff or (given the age of some of these guys) forget stuff. :;):

fish

Right on, guys. Yeah, I’m really kind of feeling my way through the digital thing and I know it’s going to be a struggle at times. But I’m definitely trying to navigate the manual before I pose questions to the group.

But thanks for making me feel welcome and I look forward to more shenanigans, ballyhoo and monkeyshines. (old people talk).

Thanks again for the help. Now, let’s fuckin’ ROCK!

lml.