Newsong with vocals

Hey all, been posting songs without vox for a while because I’d been looking for the right singer. Well I think I found her. Check out this song;

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9240218

I’m going 4CM now days with my GT8 and Bugera 333XL. I record direct but use a Ultra-GI cab sim. This song is co-wrote with the singer. Recorded at my place, all n-track and n-track plugins. It is really just a basic recording demo of the song for writing purposes. We’ll revisit it for some vocal harmonies and a little tweaking. If we get a band together and get a bit serious we’d re-record the whole thing, probably vocals in a studio etc. Also includes crappy drums, which is now part of my signature sound (till I get a drummer). ENJOY!

Yes. That is excellent. Only quibble; her vocals need to be higher in the mix. She is very, very good. Get a drummer, no doubt, this is totally worth it. :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Another thing - bandcamp.com will host the files for free at much higher mp3 bitrate, and as FLAC files.

Hi monstasonix:

You have some nice hi-Energy tracks going there…
Your singer is great…
They (the tracks) sound great…

A suggestion regarding your vocal track…
If you can determine the spectrum of the vocal registry…
I’d consider bringing those fundamental frequencies down a HAIR…
Then remixing the vocal track with the “Band Tracks”… Then give the vocal track fader a little boost, you know…
It’s all according to what you are hearing from your monitors…
weather it’s with headphones or near fields, or whatever…

That would then bring the vocal track up in the Two-Track final mix…
as TomS is suggesting…

That’s in my humble opinion, of course…
The EQ spectrum change is what is known as reverse psychology…????

<<<<
Can I spell ?
NO…

I compliment her…
She has much energy in those pipes…
That’s a great sound you have, there… :agree:
:)

Bill…

Heh - all I thought was “turn it up” - someday I gotta learn all that stuff about frequencies and how they make stuff sit in the mix.

Nah. Too old for all of that. :laugh:

Yup! Monst4 - it’s a corker. Do more together.

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jun. 06 2010, 10:23 AM)

Hi monstasonix:

You have some nice hi-Energy tracks going there..
Your singer is great..
They (the tracks) sound great..

A suggestion regarding your vocal track..
If you can determine the spectrum of the vocal registry..
I'd consider bringing those fundamental frequencies down a HAIR..
Then remixing the vocal track with the "Band Tracks".. Then give the vocal track fader a little boost, you know....
It's all according to what you are hearing from your monitors..
weather it's with headphones or near fields, or whatever..

That would then bring the vocal track up in the Two-Track final mix..
as TomS is suggesting..

That's in my humble opinion, of course..
The EQ spectrum change is what is known as reverse psychology..????

<<<<
Can I spell ?
NO..

I compliment her..
She has much energy in those pipes..
That's a great sound you have, there.. :agree:

Bill..

Thanks for the comments and suggestions all, I do appreciate it.

Bill, just so I understand, are you saying at attenuate vocal frequencies in the "band track" then add the vocal track? Sort of making room for them (vocals)? Or are you saying attenuate the most dominant freq range in the vocal track slightly, then dropping it in and boosting the whole thing (vocals) a bit? Sort of compressing it and being able to boost without it peaking at certain frequencies?

I want to give it a try, cause I think the vox need to be hotter too but when i do it doesn't seem to sit in the mix the way I like. I have this problem on tracks cause I frequently go for guitar parts with the BIG sound but it gets messy with vocals and indeed solos overdubbed at times.

Back Again:

There is software and hardware that can do that…
Har-Bal is one piece of software that can do that very nicely…
If it were my project I’d bring the vocal track into the timeline and attempt to get/bring the vocal track with as much overall envelope level as can be gotten…

Don’t be destroying that original track…
There’s so much natural energy there…
I wouldn’t chance it to leave it to software or hardware limiters and compressors…

There’s gotta be a way to cool down some of those peaks…
I’m somehow thinking it’s a spectrum adjustment-or-shift that could do that…
BUT, you don’t want the “Adjusted” vocal track to crowd any of those other tracks…

If yea do OR if yea don’t youbedamm’d…
You’re only looking for a couple of db’s in level change…
Easily-Said…

It’s a guess, of course… I’d be favoring (not touching) the lower end of the vocal spectrum…
as opposed to the higher end…
THEN…
giving the upper harmonic end of the registry a little boost… Try not to “Thin Out” the vocal registry…

How you do that is beyond me…
:p

Will it fit ????
Remember, you’re only experimenting…

It still sounds nice… :agree:

Bill…

:agree: yup, think you found your gal, she's a great vocalist.

You could do a lot with the mix as it is very narrow at the moment. Pan something. As for the vox… prolly a tad of compression will do what you need. Her vox cut fine, they just need some level.