No audio from input

??? PLEASE HELP !!!

I am trying to record live input from a guitar. I get a monitor signal, but no audio! If I record the input I then can hear the track recorded, but not AS I am playing it, or recording it. I hope I’ve correctly described the problem and I REALLY hope that someone out there can fix this!

Thanks in advance

Soundblaster Audigy
Win XP SP2
1 GB ram
3.0 GHZ pentium 4 :)

BTW, when I use the “test hardware” oprion under my soundcard options found in control pannel, I DO get audio input sound.

(You know, the one where it makes you read out loud into a microphone)

I also use Logic Pro and I get audio from that but there’s a SEVERE delay and no way to fix it that I’ve found, so it’s a N-Track issue here

Hope this helps

Modulus:

Can you give us some info as to how you’re physically set up and what you’ve tried to this point? (Your recording rig, not really you per se)… :D

This is a great forum, and I’m sure your question can get answered…

There are a few ways to do this …
You should be able to get near zero latency with direct monitoring off of the soundcard itself. I would think.
I don’t have an Audigy but one of my computers has a Live … I would think the two would be similar.
In the mixer applet that comes with the Audigy, you should be able to select the input that you are using as the recording device. Also, you should be able to adjust levels for that input in the playback controls of the mixer applet. For example, if you plug into the the Line In of the soundcard and set it as the recording input and adjust the recording fader … then under the playback controls, there should be a fader and Mute option for “Line In” as well. If that Line In playback fader is up and the input isn’t muted, you should hear what is going in the Line in through your speakers.

Alternately, you can always click the “Live” button in n-Track. However, you will get that delay (latency) you experienced with Logic. This can be reduced by lowering the buffer settings in n-Track.

Quote (billthecat @ Aug. 10 2005,10:43)
Modulus:

Can you give us some info as to how you’re physically set up and what you’ve tried to this point? (Your recording rig, not really you per se)… :D

This is a great forum, and I’m sure your question can get answered…

Well, there is no setup per se. Just a computer and N-Track. I use a 1/4 guitar cord plugged into the mic input in my soundcard.

I have my levels correct I know or I wouldn’t get a recorded signal at all. My problem is that WHILE I’m recording, I get no audible signal. I can see the recording VU meter move as as I’m playing, but the playback VU meter doesn’t budge and I can’t HEAR the signal as it’s played.

I have used the same software and the same sound card in the past and I know it works. Something is not configured right.

I got it. For some reason when I went to the mixer settings of my souncard, the “mic” input was hidden, when I checked it the box was checked for muting. This must be the windows default… I feel so stupid now.

Thanks for all the help folks!