No more complaining...

$499

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

This is great. Now we need n-track for mac.

Come on Flavio

Oh man…another toy for the wish list. I’ve been wanting to try out a Mac for years. They were just too dang costly…

TG

they are removing obstacles…

They should have called it the “Mini Mac” instead :laugh:

Or “Apple seed”…add water and it grows up into a G5 Dual 2.5ghz! Yeah baby!

Naw. It’d short out, get mad and stop working. Hey! Just like PC’s do!

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Jan. 11 2005,14:22)
Oh man...........another toy for the wish list. I've been wanting to try out a Mac for years. They were just too dang costly........

TG

Err, Mac to me is simply a jazzed up version of KDE. Call me a cynic, a grouch, whatever, but I still don't see why folks would get a Mac other than for specialized things like ProTools, which I understand is where you guys are thinking, but for the average guy? I don't get Apples on going strategy is all. They scrapped OS 9 for essentially a decked version of KDE. ??? Anymore everything is the same old same old with Linux at the bottom and a different GUI on top. I guess I am just a grouchy old admin who gets sick of Apple's network support. What were they thinking having Rendezvous use *.local? Every small to mid sized network from here to the moon uses *.local internally. *wanders off mumbling admin jargon*

A friend mine (also our company IT guru) has an iMac at home. He uses it for all his personal, general computing stuff. The thing SMOKES! He also has a tricked out Athlon 64 Win Xp system sitting beside the iMac. In general use the iMac is just quicker and snappier “feeling”. It’s an old G4 iMac too… I dunno WHY I want to try one… I guess cuz’ it’s there?

TG

EDIT* This guy is also a Linux nut. He thinks Linux is the best thing since sliced bread. Of course, HE knows all those cryptic command line parameters to make everything work like he wants.

Bubba,

You GROUCH!!! :wink:

One of my DAW clients is a Mac head & got into the Wintel world for the first time when he ordered a DAW from me. He’s survived but I think generally favors his Mac over the PC (can’t fault him for that). However, he got this computer just to run that Tascam software who’s name I’ve forgettern (I think it was Tascam)? It connects to his Mac somehow.

Gigastudio?

TG

EDIT* This guy is also a Linux nut. He thinks Linux is the best thing since sliced bread. Of course, HE knows all those cryptic command line parameters to make everything work like he wants.

That's the key. Every out of the box Mac I have touched is a slug. I don't mean to bash beecuase I am firmly in the whatever works camp, but I have never had good experiences with Macs, or enough good to justify the cost. That and I am a grouch. :D

As for Gigastudio, nice try. Giga is PC only.

Yah I know Giga is PC only. I took Mikes comment to mean this dude was running something on a PC connected to the Mac? Maybe my slysdexia is gnitca pu?

TG

Doh! Bubba need to learn to read more better.

Right - it was Gigastudio. Thanks.

This app must be pretty good to justify buying a dedicated PC just to run it to your Mac?!?!

Guys are doing movie and TV scores with nothing but PC’s and GigaStudio. It’s pretty amazing.

TG

Configurations 1.25GHz Mac mini 1.42GHz Mac mini
Model M9686LL/A M9687LL/A
Processor 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 1.42GHz PowerPC G4
Memory 256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SRAM, supports up to 1GB
Graphics ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X support
Hard drive1 40GB Ultra ATA1 80GB Ultra ATA1
Optical drive Slot-loading Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Ports One FireWire 400 port; two USB 2.0 ports; DVI output; VGA output (adapter included)
Networking Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and 56K V.92 modem3
Wireless AirPort Extreme option (based on 802.11g specification; IEEE 802.11b Wi-Fi certified)4; internal Bluetooth module available as build-to-order option
Audio Headphone/audio line out

Whoa... a smokin' machine.... uh ..... 3 years ago.

Lets see a G4 processor at under 1.5 ghz. Radeon 9200 with a whopping 32 meg of memory. The computer comes with screaming fast PC2700 DDR memory and a huge 80 gig hard drive.

Is it just me or is Apple trying to get rid of old hardware? Geez, Dell will sell you a 2.8ghz pentium 4 system with a 15" LCD monitor for $499. Now, I don't really like Dell, but that isn't the point. If you put 3 years old technology is a cute little box, it still old technology.

Just my 2 cents,

Mike
Quote (DrGuitar @ Jan. 12 2005,18:01)
If you put 3 years old technology is a cute little box, it still old technology.

It's obviously marketed toward the "I know, but it's in a cute little box!" crowd. Isn't that how Jobs did it with the first iMacs? Besides, even PC-lovers have long shown their willingness to pay extra for small form factor PCs which aren't the latest and greatest, either. The Mac mini isn't meant to be a cutting edge product--just a strategy to get some kind of Mac in more homes, especially those of PC users. I've never owned a Mac, but 6.5" x 6.5" x 2" and 3 lbs. sounds awfully tempting when thinking about replacing that old 500 MHz Celeron tower.

Tony

it’s not meant to be marketed toward geek gamers and those that can build their own geek boxes.

It is a closed architecture machine that WILL work, will not BSOD and is finally attainable by the masses.

Sounds like a formula for success to me…

No BSOD’s? Where’s the fun in that? :D :D

Nah, with Mac it’s Kernel PANIC! or something like that.

Seriously, it’d prolly be fun to toy around with to get your feet wet in Mac world.

TG