No Sound

I have a Boss GT-6B bass pedal and just discovered theres a patch editor software for it. So I got it, hooked it up via midi to usb cable and into the soundcard. My Roland SH-201 hooks up just fine but I can’t hear the pedal. Should there be a driver for ntrack to recognize my bass pedal? Ive searched and can’t find a single thing about a driver for this. I was wondering if there may be an alternate method to getting the sound to come on. Thanks for any input.

from what I can tell of the pedal it has a digital output, “coaxial digital output” and XLR out,

provided you can get either of those to an D/A interface they should record in Ntrack just fine.

THe midi cable you have hooked up via USB adapter is a work around for that software to edit patches stored on the device, it involves no sound as far at the USB connection is concerned, only midi data which is binary in nature travels through the USB/midi cable to the device.

the pedal also has an A/D converter in it (hence the coaxial) also how it processes FX, but you need a sound card that has a coaxil (SPDIF) input to get it into a computer.

dontcare :cool:

Thank you, now going to a website to buy what I need

Although I did hook up a stereo 1/4 inch cable to 3.5 mm into the soundcard and I couldn’t hear anything. I knew, yet forgot to mention, the midi to usb was to manipulate patches. I went into “audio devices” and wasnt sure which I should choose for playback. Either way, thanks for the input.

Quote: (falgorian @ Oct. 28 2012, 3:00 AM)

Although I did hook up a stereo 1/4 inch cable to 3.5 mm into the soundcard and I couldn't hear anything. I knew, yet forgot to mention, the midi to usb was to manipulate patches. I went into "audio devices" and wasnt sure which I should choose for playback. Either way, thanks for the input.

you'll have to check the Impedance of the 1/4 in. output of the pedal (2 kOhms) and see if it matches the 3.5mm input on your soundcard (soundblaster?)

there are line inputs and mic inputs on most standard computer PCI soundcards which most run in the range of 1 to 50k Ohms for the line input and
600 Ohms for the mic input.

according to the Boss specs the 1/4 in. output is set
"At the position of OUTPUT LEVEL mark at 2k Ohms)" might mean there is a knob/trim pot or something there you can adjust the level, that's kind of a tricky thing depending on how far apart the two are.

the XLR output of the pedal is 600 Ohms which is standard on most Creative lab cards
mic level impedance charts.

long story short, try the XLR out to the mic input of your computers card.

Yeah its a soundblaster. Damn, I never wouldve thought of the ohms thing myself, thanks. Now I have to order a cable, should I get a stereo xlr cable to 3.5mm? Or mono xlr to 3.5 mm?

Quote: (falgorian @ Oct. 28 2012, 11:36 AM)

Yeah its a soundblaster. Damn, I never wouldve thought of the ohms thing myself, thanks. Now I have to order a cable, should I get a stereo xlr cable to 3.5mm? Or mono xlr to 3.5 mm?

that depends does the pedal have two different XLR outputs, left and right?

that would be the only way you would benefit from stereo (for example a flanger, ping pong etc)

so it would be TWO xlr's on one end and a stereo 3.5mm on the other, like this.

otherwise with a single XLR to 3.5mm you are only getting one side of a stereo image unless you set the pedal to put out mono.