Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15285091/DaO%20for%20nTF1.mp3

Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out.

Hi, all. I wanna get this rapped-up, as a gift, to my Dad - it’s his all time fav’. It’s been in and out of the box for about two years and thought I’d better pull me finger out.
I’m working with crap headphones and would appreciate your opinions on the mix. I’m after a taditional feel set in the fifties, and it’s an homage, particularly, to the Ottilie Patterson/Chris Barber take and with my own twist. (I’ve resorted to using a free sax plug for the lead line - a crime that my late mother would have shot me for (the sax doesn’t belong in this genre) but I didn’t happen upon a world class jazz trombonist and I couldn’t hack it out on the guit well enough to convince myself. Also thought I’d try the vocals myself in place of the three female versions (thanks girls, but…)
Poppa Willis kindly provided the lush brush kit (well, half of it, anyway - doubtless testing my editing skills;-))

Cheers people.

Nice.

Ta, Tom.
(mix, your end?)

gotta re-do dodgy lead voc when not having to do close mic whisper mode so as not to wake the sleepers
:laugh:

really liked that tony! thouhgt you got a great live sound there. The only thing about the mix I felt could be improved was the drums sounded a bit to big & if they was more focussed instead of spread out it would tigten up the mix. is that clear what i mean?
never heard any of your stuff before & really didnt expect that it was great!

Tina

as far as the mix goes on this end, it sounded great to me. But you know that I am “mix-challenged.” I am very tolerant & this mix is quite different than msot would make it. The large amounts of verb, e.g., really work for me, the big drums - I like that.

Hi TonyR:

Pretty nice…
All the tracks and groups are there…
The sonic energy is there…
The spectrum is divided up O.k.
Your Dad will like this…
He’ll know you did the project for him…
I’d bring the Drum Group down a bit and push up the Vocal Group up by the same amount…
But that’s just my preference…

[quote]
But you know that I am “mix-challenged.”

:)

Nice job…
:agree:
:)

Bill…

Ton…you have captured the sound, spirit, essence, that as I listened it put me right there in that smoke filled room, having a beer watchin the show.

The only thing I have to say about the mix is I am missing the bottom end.

Diggin it!

Duff

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Dec. 12 2010, 5:24 PM)

never heard any of your stuff before & really didnt expect that it was great!

Tina

Sorry that should have said

never heard any of your stuff before & really didnt expect that.
It was great!

i like a drink at the weekends!

Yeah, that period is sort of important, Tina! :laugh: I suspect Tony read it properly. :agree:

sounds great to me - love that old stuff Tony - really nice job.

Thanks, Tommy, Tom, Duff, Tina, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich.
Working on the bottom end and the drums level and hope to get a new lead voc done this eve’.

Next venture:- Chelsea, London, 1973, silver stack-healed boots :laugh:

I wants me a studio Tardis for Christmas!!!

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 13 2010, 3:08 PM)

i was born a bit late for dddbm&t but having older brothers & sisters remember them & thinking why are there only 5 of them not 6.
you learn something evryday i never realised dave dee was not dave, dee but one person!
this feels like an important moment in my life!!
Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Dec. 13 2010, 3:56 PM)

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 13 2010, 3:08 PM)

i was born a bit late for dddbm&t but having older brothers & sisters remember them & thinking why are there only 5 of them not 6.
you learn something evryday i never realised dave dee was not dave, dee but one person!
this feels like an important moment in my life!!

Hahahah!!! Nice.

Bill. How’s this one sound?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15285091/DaO%20for%20nTF2.mp3

Nice piece, Tony. Well chosen tempo. Ditto on that comment about the smokey room vibe. :agree:

Great song, great cover, you’ve captured the real classic sound perfectly. Loved it, Daddy’s gonna love his prezzie :;):

Thanks Geoffo and Ange.
Concidering buying a sax plug to replace the freebie that I’ve used on this. Any suggstions?

Hi TonyR:
You got the mix Covered… :) The energy and dynamics are there, in this mix… The right amount of Room-and-Sizzle… :laugh: Sounds like the Bar Rooms we used to play… There are some nice Sax Samples out there… Sony has one, I think… I don’t know what brand name, it’s called… ???

Bill…