noise at end of track IDEAS?

why am I getting a noise burst at end

Hey all!
It’s been quite a while since I’ve checked in and I hope that I’m still welcome!

I recently upgraded to the latest 4 track version and am having a new problem (which may or may not be linked to the new version.)
I record rather long (25+ minute) songs and twice now, when making an audition copy to listen to, at the very end of the track is short burst of sound. This sound doesn’t appear in the wave file itself when I listen to it with either 4-track or with Windows Media or my Creative Wave editor. I’ve also tried recording at different speeds (I almost always record at 4X)and with different programs (Windows Media, 4 Track itself, and RecordNow!). I have no idea, but it seems like such a small glitch to be from the cd-rw drive itself, but that’s where it seems to be. Any ideas where to start looking?
Thanks for all your help!
Chester

I found this post a bit confusing at first and had to read it a few times and I think I understand what you are asking now…

OK… I think when you are using “4” you mean “N” and when you use “record” you mean “burn” as in burn a CD…

That being the case it seems like you are able to mixdown from N-Track OK and the wav sounds fine listening to it on the PC but when you burn to a CD it gets the noise at the end.

If so then the probelm would seem to be in either your buring software or the hardware.
What software are you using?

BTW - are you from Oz? Just wondering about the nickname :)

Rich

Rich,
Ha! Wow, I can hardly understand it myself! Late night…

Indeed, I do mean n-Track (not 4 track) and the noise burst only appears when I burn the track to CD and only apppears at the very last second of an otherwise perfect track.

I have tried burning with all the software available to me (n-track’s internal Cd burner, RecordNow!, and Windows Media Player) all at lower than 4x speed.

I have a generic Dell Pc a year to two old with a factory installed cd-rw drive (at one time I knew the manufacturer info, but can seem to access it now.)

I agree that all evidence seems to point to a hardware problem but I’m not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks for your patience and humor!

Chester

P.s. Not sure if you mean the HBO series Oz (which I haven’t seen), but I certainly don’t have a troop of flying monkeys following me around!
Coit is the name of my group with musical partner E. Gomez. We perform free improvisation/noise/experimental music occassionaly.

<!–QuoteBegin>

P.s. Not sure if you mean the HBO series Oz (which I haven’t seen), but I certainly don’t have a troop of flying monkeys following me around!

I think that was more Rich’s ‘Home Island’ - The land down under.
The land of the kangaroo and other weird creatures ! (of wich Rich and Willy is not part of )

:p

try this… open up the wav file of the mix down in n-track or wav file editor (the file you are writing to cd). go to the very end of the song and zoom in really close. verify there are no spikes happening at the end of the track. i have seen this type of glitch before… not sure why it happens, could be something that occurs at mixdown or something introduced by the audio hardware as well… anyways, if its not that, and you aren’t hearing the noise when you play back the file on your computer, the next thing to test is take the wav file and have someone else write it to cd and check that for the noise. have you tried playing the cd on a few different cd players to verify it isn’t the cd player you’re using to test the cd?

i have a cd writer that seems to write cd’s fine but if i make an audio cd and play it in my car, it crackles throughout the entire cd. play it in any other cd player and it’s fine. burn the same audio cd using a different writer and it plays just fine in my car.

Burn your disk as a DAO (disk at once). If you are burning as a TAO (track at once) it turns the laser off between tracks. This can cause noise on older CD players.

Dave T2

I believe Dave is on to something there. The actual Redbook spec is DAO. So it should be the most compatible with the most players. Good catch Dave!

TG

Hey, thanks a lot to everyone for the great advice!

Dimmer, I’ve had the trouble with sloppy editing at the end of a song before, too. It’s especially hard to see when you’re mixing such long songs and look at the whole song view most of the time. I did check that out and it wasn’t the case this time…I even went ahead and faded out the volume envelopes to -Inf even though there was a natural cutoff in the wave file and mixed it down again, but the sound was still there.
I’ve also tried the trouble cds in many players and the noise is always there.

Dave T2, Good idea! I just checked one of the programs I use to burn and I did have it set to TAO. I’ll change it back and burn another test and let you know if that solves it. Thanks

Best regards and thanks to all,

Chester

Quote (coitmusic @ Sep. 02 2005,22:59)

Coit is the name of my group with musical partner E. Gomez. We perform free improvisation/noise/experimental music occassionaly.

No was referring to Australia.
The reason i asked was (and don’t take this the wrong way…) “coit” is slang for a$$hole in Australia.

So if you call someone a coit you are calling them an a-hole.

When I read your nickname I thought it may have been tongue in cheek.

Might want to be careful if you tour Australia with that name :)
Not sure if the locals started chanting your name if that would be a good thing or not :)

Rich

Ah! Success!

I changed the preferences in my RecordNow! software from TAO to DAO and the track burned without the noise burst. Thanks to all and especially dave!

Now I’ve looked a bit and can’t find a similar option to change the burning from TAO to DAO in Windows Media Player or in the built in burner in n-track. Anyone know where they are at?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Chester

As far as my name goes: HA! I love it! Just another shade of meaning to the name. I take no offense at all. Rather, I’m excited and proud to have founded a band named “rectal sphincter”!

Or, go look up Russell Coit, bushman extrodanaire.