noob question

I am so ashamed…

I should know this already, but I can’t figure it out…

Is there a way to select multiple tracks and drag the “handles” all at the same time to adjust the size of the track?

Let me get this out of the way - RTFM.

There, it’s said.

I still can’t figure it out.
:p

I can’t really figure out exactly what you mean. If you mean zoom in/out, then you can select one of the magnifying glasses in the second menu bar at the top. This works on all tracks.
hth :)

I think John wants to select the end point of several tracks at once, and actually adjust the end of all the tracks in unison. Did I get that right?

I’m not sure how to do precisely what you’re asking for, but if what you want to do is silence the remainder of the tracks, I think you can select the relevant portion of all of the tracks, then hit the “X” button on the toolbar to non-destructively mute them all for that section. If you only want to do this for, say 3 out of 19 tracks, I’m not sure if you can select only those, or whether you’d have to go back and un-mute the others afterward.

On another note: If John’s got 900+ posts here, and he’s a “noob,” what does that make me? :p

I don’t think it can be done.

You can, on the other hand, drag a selection on the timeline and chose to splice at the beginning of the selection (Menu: Edit/Non destructive). That will put handles at the same place on all the track. Then it’s a matter of selecting and removing the parts on the right or left of the splice.

That ain’t the same thing though.

Bummer…

I’ve got drum tracks that take up a total of 10 tracks for each take. I’ve had to splice the first part of one take and the first part of another take together by adjusting the start/end of each track to a particular point and then dragging the two tracks onto the same “track” (channel?) on the timeline, at which point, they get a little purple circle at the spot where they join… simple enough for one track, but a little more time consuming for 10… I thought there would be a way to grab all those little adjustment handles at once, but I guess not.

-PapaRomeo… don’t mistake a high post count for anything resembling intelligence or common sense. Just have a look at the “other” side of this forum for further proof.
:D

Hi John and All:
I thought you could hold the “Control” key down and select any number of tracks you want to “Slide” on the timeline… ? Is that what you are refering, to?

AaHh… Hold the “Shift” key down… to select the tracks… Then hold the “Control” key down to “Slide” the tracks…

Is that the “Thing” you want to do?

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ July 13 2006,10:52)
AaHh.... Hold the "Shift" key down.. to select the tracks.. Then hold the "Control" key down to "Slide" the tracks..

Nope... The tracks need to stay in the same place in the timeline... I am changing the size of the track by dragging the little handle at either end...

Thinking… lol… Well…

Add a new blank track to the time-line… to the length you want the song to be changed by… “Start-and-finish”… then drag the tracks to the place/position you choose to place them… Would that be what you want , to-do…?

I guess… and… I must be missing something in what the “Task” is about…

Bill.

John, you’re doing the same thing I do when I need to fix a playing error or something like that. It’s a HUGH pain to do each track separately, but that’s the only way I’ve been able to pull it off. It’s a pain to drop in a good beat in place of a flub in an otherwise good track when there are 8 or more individual tracks that need replacing because of bleed-through and all that. On the other hand is sure is nice being able to do that. :)

Hi phoo:
I can see what you are refering to in your post…

I tried many times pulling that of on some of my “Bed” tracks here… I found I could never make a “seamless” effort at doing that type of edit.

I always thought of that as, doing something like cheating… When I repro’d the track, I could sense IT was comming, a mile away…

I always ended up doing that track again and flubbing another note in some other part of the track… :p :laugh:

Bill…

I know exactly what you’re trying to do, John, and I’ve never been able to figure out a way either. You’ve stumbled on one of the few features that ProTools has that n-Track doesn’t have AFAIK.

Quote (8th_note @ July 13 2006,20:32)
I know exactly what you're trying to do, John, and I've never been able to figure out a way either. You've stumbled on one of the few features that ProTools has that n-Track doesn't have AFAIK.

Darn... I could've sworn someone had discussed this already...

[QUOTE]I’ve got drum tracks that take up a total of 10 tracks for each take.

Hey John, I know this is irrelevant, but what sound card are you using to record 10 tracks at once? I’m a drummer too and having all the drums on one track really doesn’t sound as good as separate tracks. What equipment do you have that allows you do to that? And are they mic preamps, or 1/4 inch jacks with adapters? Thanks

By the way, your icon of the floating yin/yang is freakin awesome!

Quote (codeblue1288 @ July 19 2006,02:06)
[QUOTE]I've got drum tracks that take up a total of 10 tracks for each take.

Hey John, I know this is irrelevant, but what sound card are you using to record 10 tracks at once? I'm a drummer too and having all the drums on one track really doesn't sound as good as separate tracks. What equipment do you have that allows you do to that? And are they mic preamps, or 1/4 inch jacks with adapters? Thanks

By the way, your icon of the floating yin/yang is freakin awesome!

I've got a MOTU 828 MKII.

It's got two XLR inputs on the front and eight 1/4" on the back - for a total of ten seperate inputs. The two over-head mics go into the front inputs, and the rest of the mics are pre-amped through a mixer with each channel of the mixer going to one of the inputs on the MOTU. The mixer is really only acting as a bank of eight seperate pre-amps in the case...

you could probably get a decent drum sound with only three mics if you work at it a bit - two over-heads and one pointing at the kick drum, with all of them equally spaced from the snare (use a tape measure)... at least that's what I've heard.

I can't take credit for the yin-yang thing - I stole it from somewhere..
:D

How do you channel your mixer into all the input channels separately? I’ve got a mixer with 5 mic preamps now, but how would I hook that up so I don’t need as many mic preamps going directly into the computer and still have all drums on separate tracks? thanks again.

The mixer I use (Soundcraft FX-16) has a line output for each channel - each individual channel then goes to it’s own input on the MOTU. You can also use a mixer that has “inserts” for each channel - you just plug the cable half-way in to get the same result. Remember - I’m not really using the mixer as a mixing device - in this case, it’s just eight mic pre-amps that happen to be in the same box.

What kind of soundcard do you have?

Samplitude does this. Its very handy for example to select all the tracks and then do a global fade in or out. Also useful to grab say an entire chorus across multiple tracks and “fly” it to a different position in the song.

Quote (Tom Hicks @ July 20 2006,09:22)
Samplitude does this. Its very handy for example to select all the tracks and then do a global fade in or out. Also useful to grab say an entire chorus across multiple tracks and “fly” it to a different position in the song.

Tom, does Sam SE do this?

*Hey Codeblue1288, You need a soundcard with enough inputs going to the PC, each input representing a path to a track in your software. You want 4 tracks to land in n-Track (or whatever)? You need 4 ins on your card.

I hope I haven’t said something redundant here- anyway, I found a Terratec EWS88MT soundcard, which has 8 RCA I/O, on ebay for $100. A bargain! I use a Tascam M-30 mixer, which has XLR & TRS Ins on ch 1-6, and TRS Ins for ch 7 and 8, to preamp my mics, etc., before they get to the Terratec: Each channel on the Tascam has a Direct Out (these are the RCA connections) going to the soundcard.

For Phantom Power- since the Tascam doesn’t have phantom- I use a small Studiomaster “Logic Twelve” mixer with 4 xlr inputs; and it has Main-Outs L & R, and 2 pre-fader Aux Outs to go on into the Tascam mixer or the Terratec soundcard. So 4 Ins, 4 Outs for phantom power needs.

The upshot of this mess is that I can run 8 inputs to individual tracks in my software because of the soundcard, and- this particular Tascam mixer has 4 Busses + the Stereo Bus, so there are plenty of input and funky mixing possibilities for my funky elementary needs.

This represents a couple years of pulling stuff together, but you can see the signal flow here. The same sort of order of events happens on any system: Mic/source> Preamp (mixer)> soundcard> software> back out via software/soundcard monitoring> ears…

I’m using quite a few RCA conncections with this jig, as the Tascam has RCA’s for it’s bank of connections on the back. And the Terratec too… So we’re not talking the ultimate system here, concerning the type of connectors used- but I’m doing fine with it. I’m going to give it the acid-test though, and post a clip from reggae my band’s demo when I get it done (couple weeks now). You can judge it…

So, I gues the original point was this: *… :)

John, I’ve got a SB Audigy 2 ZS, and I’ve been having lots of problems with the sound and I’m half looking for a new one while I try to figure out what’s wrong with it. That’s why I’m asking so much here, because all this mic input stuff will help me choose a new soundcard suitable for my needs. I know that right now I only have one 1/4" input on my soundcard.

I am also using a Behringer Eurorack MXB1002 mixer, mixing all my mics into one track. I don’t know if it has the capability that yours has to connect each channel to a separate input on the soundcard.

So while I’m trying to figure out what the deal is with my soundcard, I’ve been looking at soundcards with more inputs, and external breakoutboxes like the Presonus Firepod. But if there’s a way to get that same number of mic inputs for less money, I’m going to try that because I don’t have enough for a Firepod right now.

Sloom, how do you hook your mixer up through RCA jacks? I didn’t quite understand that whole setup you have there. And, sorry if this is dumb, but what is TRS?

Thanks alot for all the help, it could be a big money-saver for me.