normalize not

and ye shall not be normal

New beta build 2558 or what ever it is for today. Will not normalize L or R independently in a stereo track. Bug report is in.

Hi Levi and n-Trackers:

I tried to normalize a file and found other issues…

The file I imported, was an mp3 file, that n-Track converts on-the-fly, so-to-speak…
You’ll see on the lower left-hand corner of the timeline (RESAMPLE)…

I normalized one channel of the file,

e.g. lowered the left-hand channel some 4-5 db…

The normalize feature worked fine…
However, when the file was replayed, the re-sampled file played at a slower tempo…

Bill…

p.s.
I hope Flavio gets to see this thread and looks into this issue…
Somehow, these issues may be connected…

Hi Again n-Trackers…

I took the issue one more step…

Instead of normalizing the entire length of the file, I just normalized several seconds of the file…

e.g.
I lowered the left channel some 4-5 db for about three seconds…
When I repro’d the file this time, the lowered section played at a reduced level…
AND the section of the file that played at a lower level played at a slower tempo…
That’s THE issue…
Then when the file returned to the un-normalized repro the file returned to the normal tempo and All-was-Fine…

I’m being the Devil’s Advocate…
Could there be a Code’ing issue contamination between the Normalize and Tempo features ????

Bill…

Hi Bill,
That’s an interesting find. True I was trying to normalize the size of an eight note only. I reverted to an older build to complete my work.

Wait a minute - You’re trying to normalize a 1/8 note section ?
So are you saying normalize doesn’t work? Or are you saying it doesn’t
work for an eigth note section?

Yep just a small section with a little noise.
But I’ve normalized larger sections and now I’m hearing the timming issue in the mixdown and also understand now how that’s happening.
Not nice. It’s hard enough to sound good
:D
or to complete a mix.
:angry:
At least some of us are testing the betas… It will be interesting to see what the cause is.

OK - thanks.
So it turns into a timing issue after you normalize a section.

I haven’t kept up on the beta scene. Good catch on your part.

:) Yep we owe Bill!
I use normalize pretty often.
I know I've scratched my head at parts that where found out of time when the where perfect the day before.
Big find!
:agree:

Back Again Gents:

Can I try to describe again, but in more detail…

I normalized the entire file, the first time I checked to confirm the issue…
That time , when I repro’d the file I discovered the whole file played at a slower speed…
Then, I just normalized a small section of the file and discovered that just the section of the file that I normalized, played at the slower speed…
When the file/timeline returned to the file that wasn’t normalized, the song returned to
play at the original speed…

It didn’t seem to matter if both channels were normalized or just one (left-or-right) channels were normalized…

I’d like some else to confirm this issue on your setups…
Then we’ll post a “BUG” to Flavio…

Past version-and-builds never seemed to show this fault…
Not that I can recall…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Mar. 19 2010, 7:52 AM)

Back Again Gents:

Can I try to describe again, but in more detail..

I normalized the entire file, the first time I checked to confirm the issue..
That time , when I repro'd the file I discovered the whole file played at a slower speed..
Then, I just normalized a small section of the file and discovered that just the section of the file that I normalized, played at the slower speed..
When the file/timeline returned to the file that wasn't normalized, the song returned to
play at the original speed..

It didn't seem to matter if both channels were normalized or just one (left-or-right) channels were normalized..

I'd like some else to confirm this issue on your setups..
Then we'll post a "BUG" to Flavio..

Past version-and-builds never seemed to show this fault..
Not that I can recall..

Bill..

Right!
I've had times both near and far when I've been amazed that the timing has changed in a project, could only wonder how it happened.

For instance; I would redo a part for a section, or implement a new idea and with all parts in sync mix that track down to make a whole complete track for the guitar or bass.

Then later when listening I would normalize sections to get a better balance.
And then to later find parts out of sink or out of time.
I think you've found the culprit!
I hear ye! I be testing tomorrow when I have time mate.
Great find Billy!
:agree:

I think you should just add a bugger and let Flavio confirm it.
This is a pretty major bug.
It appears that we are the only ones running and testing betas.

Hi Levi and n-Trackers:

I just updated v6.0.9 to build 2559 and loaded a file unto the timeline…
I hi-lighted a section of the track and “Normalized” the left channel to -5.3db below the normal level of the file…

Low-and-Behold…
the file normalized the the predetermined level with no change in the tempo/speed…
I’m gonna continue to configure the build…
as…
I always default n-Track to Global Default Settings when I update builds and re-configure the install to the settings I use…

I’ll check the normalize issue again to see if, All-is-Well… So-Far-So-Good…

Bill…

:agree: Working fine in 2559 thx Bill

Hi Levi:

Do you think Flavio may have fixed the code in build 2559?
That fixed the normalization and tempo ????
Whatever happened, build 2559 works just fine now…

Bill…

Yes it’s definitely fixed. Couldn’t answer your question but this one is nice for sure.
I discovered a time saver today. When using the + or - icons to expand the time line or shrink it.
I’ve always click them one click at a time. If you hold either down n will speed those options for you. It works fantastic and saved me big time today! Great feature :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

I can’t wait to get in the studio to capture tracks again… As you are aware, n-Track has been the only Multi-Track Editor that I use…
I am using an m-Audio 192 interface card… I have one in each machine…
I plan to get two more cards…
one for each machine…
That will give me
four I/O’s or two stereo paths for each machine…
These cards along with their drivers are so nice-and-stable…

Then…
I’d like to get a couple of Alesis 3630 Compressor/Limiter/Expander’s for each chain…
We’ll see…
Maybe, there’s some other brand name units…
What might you have in mind
????
as an alternative ????
to them …

The weather is getting better over here…
However, I have so much work to do to get everything up-and-running…

The past few days I’ve installed light fixtures. Now I am in the process of moving repro amps up into the rafters… I don’t need them on the floor taking up valuable floor space/real estate…
I have patch bay wiring to get started, and the list keeps getting longer-and-longer…
This past week we’ve had record breaking temperatures, over here… Yesterday, we had a high of 17c that went on into darkness…
That’s uncommon for this time of year, over here…

Bill…

I suppose if I where going for outboard hardware I’d probably first look a dbx. I have an Alesis power amp that continues to work ok but it’s moody. I still like it though. In the past I was spoiled by Crown and dbx. But Alesis is good too :agree:

I hear you Levi:

I was looking 'Hard Time" at those Alesis Power Amps for the studio…
They make three models…
The 100…
and the 500
in the series…
However, they seemed to have dropped the 300 Amp…
for some reason…
It’s the 300 amp that I have a big time interest …
in…
sigh…

They can be had…
BUT…

What I’d really like is, a couple of them old McIntosh 2250 6550 Tube Amps…
I think that was the Model… ????

Just-a-Dream ????
sigh…

Anyway, we used the Alesis 3630’s in the old L&B Studio, way back when…
SO…
I’m somewhat used to how they behave…
:)

Bill…

Judging by the new changes in the latest build, Flavio is way ahead of all of us. :agree: