Not in C for jdet

Here’s a sneak peak at my new tune in G flat!

oh great, Gb major. you’re every guitarist’s dream. you know, i go to sleep at night, dreaming of scores with 6 flats in the key signature, with temporary modulations to 5 sharps, and i just get a warm feeling and a big smile.

:laugh: :agree:

i’m curious as to if there was any reason you didn’t just spell it in F# instead of Gb, since you modulate to B anyways (then it’s 6 sharps to 5 sharps, much easier for my little mind). Or is this just a middle finger to the session monkeys (composers do that from time to time, you know. they think they’re being ironic or clever. they’re really just jerks)?

Actually if you’re under 50 you’ll go for F#, but after 50 everything becomes flat!
Poppa’s on the flat side o 50!

There ya go - Yaz? I don’t know why you don’t like me! :p

I was programming the song looking for a VERY comfortable key for the tune and I’ll be danged if Gflat wasn’t the next step down from G - it cracked me up. I coulda swore it shoulda been an F#. 'Course the date on the lyric is October 2nd 1986. So I actually most likely wrote it in D.

Here’s the F# version

mm mmm mmmmm that low B on the bass is schweet!

both F# (6 sharps) and Gb (6 flats) exist in western theory and are equally valid. it’s just a matter of taste in how you spell them. there are a couple of keys like that that exist in parallel universes (C#/Db, B/Cb, F#/Gb for major keys). I’m just going to capo IV and play it in D anywhose.

Now Poppa ya know I likes ya! :agree:

Quote: (john doe's evil twin @ Mar. 12 2009, 5:45 PM)

oh great, Gb major.
you're every guitarist's dream.
you know, i go to sleep at night, dreaming of scores with 6 flats in the key signature, with temporary modulations to 5 sharps, and i just get a warm feeling and a big smile.

:laugh:
Thx god you got over those pain meds! Sheesh

Yeah but playing lead guitar it really doesn’t matter what key, just move up or down the frets. No biggie.

Give me Ab-demolished-maj7th!

Quote:

Give me Ab-demolished-maj7th!

With a full 5th?

Hmmm, Jack Daniels? :laugh:

Interesting cord chart you have there.
What inst are you programing to get a chart like that?

F# is liked by the bluse guys. You know how we are always milking the note 1 hole step down from the tonic. ugh ugh ugh ughhh ghhhhhhhhhh!
That open E makes a nice bail out note.
SRV, Freddie King used it, I have to.

That’s the chord window of RealBand Levi.
It is programed by typing in the time signature, tempo, and chords you want to have played, and where.