Not just GM

Kodak announced the halt of B&W paper

Story here :(
Kodak
More jobs lost :(

<!–QuoteBegin>

The paper is manufactured at a plant in Brazil. Kodak declined to specify how many employees would be affected by the production shutdown, which is part of a three-year overhaul to eliminate 12,000 to 15,000 jobs by 2007 and shrink the company’s work force to around 50,000.

My country… I’ll sell my digital camera… :angry:

What sucks is that kodak dropped the ball. If they had gotten in on this digital market sooner, they could convert the plant in Brazil to produce inkjet paper. That is what Ilford has done. After chapter 11 they got the kinks worked out and make a great injet product which is identical to their wet chemestry line. I just wish agfa had done the same.

I think a lot of “experts” did not believe that digital technology would improve so rapidly. I remember a few years ago when a megapixel camera was something only the rich could afford. Now you can buy 'em and throw ‘em away for chump change. The ability to capture higher resolutions AND print quality results has come a LONG way in a very short time span.

Look at what happened to Quantegy a few months ago. They have stopped making magnetic tape. Digital put them out of business.

Times they are a changin’…

TG

oh, how i will miss continuous tone when it is gone…

isaac

<!–QuoteBegin>

Look at what happened to Quantegy a few months ago. They have stopped making magnetic tape. Digital put them out of business.

In some respects, Quantegy put themselves out of business. The failure wasn’t the medium, but the ability to alter the business model to accomodate the times that most certainly are a-changin’. Some have even argued that Quantegy’s position supplying the market with digital storage and CD-R’s and what-not instead of focusing on the analog tape market was a key part of the demise. Fortunately for those of us that still use tape, there’s lots out there and others are stepping into the breech to fill the new product void in a smarter way than Quantegy was able to pull off. Perhaps the same can happen in the photo world. I know folks that still like analog photography, just like I know more people than me that still roll 2" tape machines.

meanwhile, I’m anxiously awaiting some NEW tape stock while I use my old…

They closed their Melbourne factory last year.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2004/s1202074.htm