notation for n-Track

I’ve used n-Track for years, but one thing has always been lacking – notation. I usually record my solo piano MIDI performances with n-Track and then capture a recording using Gigasampler or Sampletank samples. I play and compose by ear mostly, but it would be great if I was able to simply convert my MIDI files into a basic piano notation that I could refer to later when trying to remember my compositions. By including this, n-Track would be an even better all-round compositional tool. I simply don’t want to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for notation or scoring software. Has anyone brought this up to Flavio before? What do other people think? Does anyone know of a simple, easy to use alternative to notation in n-Track? Thanks.

shrecg

N-track doesn’t have notation.

Does anyone know of a simple, easy to use alternative to notation in n-Track

this is worth a look

noteworthy

the demo isn't really time limited and allows up to 10 saves per modified file and prints with a watermark. I've had various incarnations of it on my m/c for a few years now.

Maaszy

sorry for the multiple posts - something went wrong.

Maaszy

Melody Assitant at www.myriad-online.com works great with N.

Only $20 and works on all platforms, too…

I’ve thought about this a lot because I’ve used notation software. I read and write music but many people don’t nowadays.

What I’ve found is that composing by notes usually results in music that sounds too machine-like. Then I have to go back and adjust it all to sound human. I think notation is good for classical music but even then it needs to be humanized.

If you want the cheapest notation get a copy of :Computer Music" magazine or one of the others. They usually have some free software with notation. I’m using Cakewalk Express.

But still, input by a midi keyboard is still the best- no need to humanize.

no cents

Hey Bubba-

Thats nice work on the krististrauss website. Was all that recorded in N-track?

no cents

I really appreciate everyone’s input with this one.

I, too, appreciate the fact that music comes from the soul, not the page. But it can get a bit difficult to go back and learn music you improvised or composed by ear. I think that having a simple notation program would ease the burden and actually make me more creative in the long run.

Thanks again for the leads on the inexpensive software options.

Quote (nocents @ Sep. 14 2004,18:38)
Hey Bubba-

Thats nice work on the krististrauss website. Was all that recorded in N-track?

no cents

Most everything was done in N-track. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. Also, check out my interview over here. It gives some ideas as to how we do things.

/thread hijack