notation

I was wondering i there is a program that can take a wave file say a guitar track and convert it to notaion? cause that would be nifty.
Also what is a good program for drums like a drum machein,but thats very easy to use but great.

Any help would be great

BONES

I don’t think there is anything that will convert a wav to notation…
Melodyne might… but that is pretty expensive…

There are programs that will convert wav to midi (although I’m not sure how good a job they do…) and then you could convert that midi to notation using one of the various notation programs like Finale or Sibelius.

As for drums I swear by Jamstix these days.

If you don’t want to spend a lto of time putting a drum track together (like me) it is great.

If you want to be able to program every single drum hit and nuance then it probably isn’t exaclt yhe right tool for you and just the piano roll in n_track plus a good drum sample set will be all you need.

Rich

OK sounds great will give jamstix a try,but dose any one know one of the progs that will convert wave to midi?

Thanx Guys

Melodyne will do wav to MIDI. But it is expensive.

there are others but haven’t tried any.

Just do a google for “wav to midi” or similar

Rich

Wav to MIDI (in my experience) is a very slight and difficult process that doesn’t work very well. This is especially true of the cheap/free programs. The problem is related to the way the conversion is done. What you are doing is asking a computer to listen to the notes, and then determine the pitch, note length, etc. This is difficult for a computer to do, even in monophony. When you are talking about a polyphonic (multiple note) song with inexact tuning for each note, it is difficult or impossible for a computer to determine the pitch of each note, as they all get in the way of each other. Put it this way. I have a midi guitar pickup that cost $150 and a $500 yamaha rackmount that is designed to try to convert that infromation into what you might possilby be TRYING to play. It still is inexact. It is about as accurate as audio to midi can get, and it still is very, very difficult to get it to be set up so that it will pickup correctly.

Just curious, why do you want to do wav to midi anyways?

Fish

For the same reason i suspect you got you midi guitar.I dont play keboard well,but if icould play something on the guitar then convert it to midi then aply any font i wanted to eat,simple huh,lol

Bones

unfortunately, it isn’t that easy to do. The reason I got the expensive setup is because I couldn’t find a program to do it that I thought worked well for the price. I haven’t been able to get my guitar setup right yet (I got it last christmas), so it isn’t doing me any good. I went back to sequencing my synths. I say use your money to get a midi program that uses notation instead of piano roll and sequence your tracks, then import them into N. It will be money better spent. I use cakewalk express (came free with my UNO USB midi I/O), and like it a lot. Of course, I finally hooked up the $2000 keyboard I had collecting dust, and am using it a lot these days. (I’m pretty good at lead. I just don’t have the left hand stuff at all).

fish

For pitch to MIDI conversion, you could take a look at WIDI - Audio to MIDI.
I’ve been trying a pilot copy of their VST plug in and it was actually working pretty good. Polyphonic too.
Sadly, the copy has expired and the software has become pay only.

The following are audio-to-midi plugins, and are all free.

Super-Eel

Ultram

Synodeia

I’ve had some success with an audio-to-midi plugin (not sure if it was one of the above that I used) which I then linked to a VSTi/synth plugin.

When you play single guitar notes, it should convert to synth/keyboard notes relatively easily. However, I found that it was a little clumsy sounding in practice, and really, you can’t beat just using a real keyboard.

I’m not a great keyboard player at all, but it’s not too difficult to pick out simple notes, and chords even, provided you know about pitch and harmony (as any good musician should). You’d be better off learning some keyboard skills than trying to get audio-to midi plugins and synths to sound any good.

JW

I agree it’s probably easier to learn yourself to play a keyboard than to get decent midi out of a guitar track.
But the question was:<!–QuoteBegin>

I was wondering i there is a program that can take a wave file say a guitar track and convert it to notaion? cause that would be nifty.

and that is definately possible using a good .wav to .mid plug or program.

Also, it can be great fun to have your (live) guitar automatically accompanied by a big swelling stringpad. And that is very well possible too (use slow attack sounds to mask the off timing).

I tried Super-Eel and Synodeia some time ago btw and found both plugs rather useless. Maybe they’re better now.
Ultram crashed so badly that I didn’t bother trying again.

Yes, a wav conversion might work better.

The one I tried can’t have been one of those three then, if those are so bad…if only I could remember which one it was. It was monophonic, though it did work quite well. I’ll keep an eye out, mabye search through my files to see if I still have it.

JW

A very decent monophonic one is Nuton Musiciendoz.
It’s not free ($20), but has a fully functional 30 day trial.

MIDI GUITAR PICKUP

<!–QuoteBegin>

MIDI GUITAR PICKUP

I’d be interested to hear how that is going to convert a guitar track to notation?

Well, if you play the guitar track in using the MIDI pickup initially, it is a very small leap to import said MIDI file into Finale or the like.

Write, given you aren’t trying to convert a previously recorded track to midi. Besides, I think he means MIDI, not “notation” specifically, given what he has said he wants to do with it. So Finale should not be needed. (good thing. super expensive.)

Melodye won’t do it. Not the version I have anyway, but perhaps the latest versions will.

Melodyne just chops the wav up into notes, well, chunks anyway.

Then the timing and tuning of each note can be adjusted and reassembled into a new wav. (If you’ve used Autotune, then it’s that plus timing correction).

And it’s quick and efficient, and when you’re doing this as your day job, that’s what you need.

And if you want to gain a reputation for a wizzo engineer and producer, it’s a tool you must have.

I find that the first take is usually the best as far as feeling and expression are concerned. Real professionals can keep that feeling for as many takes as it takes, but there’s not many of those around. So melodyne allows you to correct mistakes in that important best take.

So buy Melodyne. And if you can’t afford it, then download an “extended evaluation” copy, and use that until you can afford it, then pay for it.

As far as wav to midi software is concerned, I’ve never had much success with anything I’ve tried. By the time I’ve edited out all the crap and put back all the stuff it’s missed, it’d be quicker and cheaper to hire a keyboard player. But if someone knows better, I’d like to hear about it.

Quote (Gizmo @ Nov. 04 2005,13:57)
As far as wav to midi software is concerned, I've never had much success with anything I've tried. By the time I've edited out all the crap and put back all the stuff it's missed, it'd be quicker and cheaper to hire a keyboard player. But if someone knows better, I'd like to hear about it.

*nods* yep and yep. umm hmm.

Dose ntrack have midi routing?

Bones