ntrack 3.x question

“Cutting” a wave file

Hey all,
Been using ntrack 3.x for over a year with literally NO problems!!! I have finished many recordings and am very pleased. One question though:

Sometimes in my projects I have these long wave files and would like to split them into 2 shorter wave files at a specific point. How do i go about splitting a wave file into 2 at a specific point in time?

Thanks

This has been covered numerous times so I will give the short version here (you can find longer replies in the archives).

You cannot cut the file directly but you can create mixdowns of portions of the file then delete the original if you need the space. To do this you need to select the portion you want to have as a separate file in the timeline and then go to the mixdown dialog, expand it using the “more options” button and look for the buttons that give you the choice of “mixdown the entire song” or to mixdown a portion of the song (I don’t have N in front of me so the names may be different). The start and end times of the selection you made on the timeline should be displayed when you choose the partial mixdown option, all you need to do is name the mixdown as desired and mixdown of that selection. Repeat for any other sections you want.

This process is sometimes easier if you set markers where you want the selections to start and stop then right-click on the timeline and choose “select between markers” from the menu. On version 3.3 it seems as though I have to first make a selection between markers that spans more than one track before I do this but I may be missing something.

Jim

Quote (jimbob @ Mar. 30 2006,20:21)
This has been covered numerous times so I will give the short version here (you can find longer replies in the archives).

You cannot cut the file directly but you can create mixdowns of portions of the file then delete the original if you need the space. To do this you need to select the portion you want to have as a separate file in the timeline and then go to the mixdown dialog, expand it using the "more options" button and look for the buttons that give you the choice of "mixdown the entire song" or to mixdown a portion of the song (I don't have N in front of me so the names may be different). The start and end times of the selection you made on the timeline should be displayed when you choose the partial mixdown option, all you need to do is name the mixdown as desired and mixdown of that selection. Repeat for any other sections you want.

This process is sometimes easier if you set markers where you want the selections to start and stop then right-click on the timeline and choose "select between markers" from the menu. On version 3.3 it seems as though I have to first make a selection between markers that spans more than one track before I do this but I may be missing something.

Jim

All i wanna do is split the file into 2 smaller files (non-destructively). What's all this about mixing down?????

Try “Edit”–>“Non Destructive”–>"Splice"

or "Splice at the start of the selection"

This chops a track into two parts?

Is that what you are trying to do?

HTH

Mark

Hey MarkA, I don’t get your geek test. Good thing, huh?

:D

Jeff

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hey MarkA, I don’t get your geek test. Good thing, huh?

What’s another name for a VW beetle?

And what do programmers say when you tell them there’s a problem with their software…

“It’s not a …, it’s a …”

I guess I don’t understand your question. You cannot split a long wave file into 2 smaller wave files “non-destructively”. A non-desructive edit is one where no changes are made to the otiginal wave file, changing one file into two shorter files is by its nature a “destructive” edit as defined by the any program I am aware of. The proceedure I described creates two wave files, each a copy of a portion of your original file, but leaves the original long wave file unaffected (thus it is non-destructive). It is then up to you to decide whether to delete the original (which is as destructive an edit as you can make). Each of the shorter individual files can be imported into a blank song file and you are good to go.

If you want the portions of the original to be identical to the corresponding portions of the unaltered longer file you do have to do this on a .sng file where you have not manipipulated the mixer (everthing at 0dB) or added effects, volume envelopes, etc. In other words it should be the first thing you do with a new .sng file.

If you simply want to make two songs that both refer to the same long file you can do that as well. In the timeline use control X to cut the portion you don’t want from what will become the first song. Save the .sng. You can then open a second song (file/new) and import (open) the same (long) wave file into that song. Use contol X to cut any unwanted portion from the timeline of that song and use the arrow cursors to move it to the beginning of the timeline. This gives you two .sng files, both pointing to different portions of the same wave file. That file is unaltered.

The disadvantage of the second approach is that if you move one song (and its wave file) without moving the other, the other file won’t be able to locate the necessary wave file and you will have to manually tell it where that file is located. You can avoid this by copying instead of moving files but that takes up more space.

Jim

If all you want to do is rearrange the parts on the screen, just drag to select and use Edit->Cut and Edit->Paste (or Ctrl-X/Ctrl-V). Works great; I do it all the time.