NTrack 4 24 bit w/ M-Audio 1010L FRUSTRATION!

On a MSME platform. I’m about to give up. I can’t get anything on the Record VU meters. The Track/Line in settings are confusing the heck out of me. I used to use an older version of NTrack to mix my 16 bit stuff that I’d record using Logic with my old soundcard & was pretty confortable with the controls. Thought I’d be in hog heaven buying the 1010L & the 24 bit version of NT.
Is anyone else using ASIO with 24 bit NTrack?
Flavio, can you offer any assistance?

Sure I use 24 bit V4 n-Track all the time. Using an EMU 1820M at home and a Tascam US-122 in the field with a laptop. Works great for me. When you say MSME platform, are you refering to Win 98ME or Xp ME?

TG

I use 24 bit with ASIO with a Delta 66 and Audiophile. No hassle.
Ludo

Quote (bassfass @ Jan. 06 2005,22:05)
On a MSME platform. I'm about to give up. I can't get anything on the Record VU meters. The Track/Line in settings are confusing the heck out of me. I used to use an older version of NTrack to mix my 16 bit stuff that I'd record using Logic with my old soundcard & was pretty confortable with the controls. Thought I'd be in hog heaven buying the 1010L & the 24 bit version of NT.
Is anyone else using ASIO with 24 bit NTrack?
Flavio, can you offer any assistance?

Don't worry, they work fine together, I had the same problems at first. Go to your windows control panel and choose "Sounds and Audio Devices", click on Audio:
For "Sound Playback" you have to assign one of the sterio groups for playback, M Audio Delta 1010 1&2 etc(you can make that what you want),
For "Sound Recording" assign "M Audio Delta 1010 Multichannel" (you can assign as few channels as you like. Better slect Delta 1010 for your midi device as well.
Then go into ntrack prefrences click on audio devices and apply the same settings in ntrack. Don't forget to select Delta 1010 for midi

Now you have to open the dialog boxes from the Record vumeter and also the playback vumeter from within ntrack (apply the 24 bit settins there).. Click on the hammer icon to make your setting changes. Apply the same info here. Note, in the recording vumeter dialog box I found it helps to uncheck "Inable Live Input Processing" when recordng multiple tracks at one time.
That should do it! Oh! After these settings have be made in n-track, close it! Then reopen it so ntrack will remember your changes. If you don't close it first, and you start to record and happen to get a freeze up, it will close the program with out those settings being saved, and you'll have to redo everthing.
PS, I might need some bass tracks ;-)
Quote (Tom @ Jan. 07 2005,12:17)
Don't worry, they work fine together

Sorry, I ment to say that ntrack and Delta 1010 work fine together, try the settings I mentioned, you should be fine!

I used to get confused by that patchbay too.

If I remember correctly, in order to hear the output of N-tracks, you need to have the first set of outputs H/W Out 1/2 set to WavOut 1/2 (if your speakers are hooked up to H/W Out 1/2)

Using the Monitor Mixer option routes the input of ALL the channels AND the output of your program (n-track) to the first two outputs.

the SPDIF options route the audio to your SPDIF and not your first two outputs,

and the h/w in options connect the inputs to that output. so if you have a guitar going into h/w in 1, it’ll go to n-track and simultaneously go to h/w out 1. it’s made to for monitoring your inputs with 0 latency.

so if you’re trying to record an external source, you’ll want to do one of two things.
h/w in 1/2 - wav out 1/2
this will route your n-track’s output to the first two outputs, but you won’t hear your inputs unless you press the LIVE button on N-track.
h/w in 1/2 - Monitor Mixer
this will route all the inputs to your first two outputs-allowing you to hear your guitar while playing it. using the mixer, you adjust the volumes and panning of each input to your liking.

to record in n-track, make sure you’re using the 1010lt in the preferences. use the recording vu meter’s “hammer” button to select the inputs/outputs you want available. use the red dot to designate where the inputs should go (track 1, track 83, new track, or disable…) use the green dot to allow the meter to show the input signal.

I think that covers it. I haven’t used the card in a while, so I could be off on a coulpe of things.

one last thing.

setting up windows sound devices only forces programs like media player and such to play your files out of your 1010lt. it is NOT required to do that to have n-track use your 1010lt. but if you want to hear something while not using n-track through your 1010lt, you’ll need to do it.

The other thing to check is that when you first install the m-audio drivers, the volume sliders on either side of the vu meters in the monitor mixer are are all set to -144 db, so no sound goes through. The sliders aren’t all that obvious, so it is easy to overlook them. I have been caught by this more than once. The first thing you need to do is grab the sliders on the Master Volume, the Wave Out, and the H/W in and move 'em up to the top.

John

Thanks everybody.
All these learning curves are frustrating when all I want to do is make music. M-Audio’s Control Panel, N-Track’s recording & playback settings… I haven’t even figured out how to get Notewothy’s Midi to play thru the Delta 1010L.

4Him - Windows Millenium. I didn’t know there were different platforms of ME.

Thanks, Tom. I’ll start with your suggestions. When I get this stuff figured out, I’d love to offer some bass lines. I’ve got an old Kay upright I’ve been playing a lot lately, & a G&L 4 string elect. College jazz band chops, but have played in pop, rock, bluegrass, cajun-zydeco, western swing bands.

Thanks, Guitar69. Lots of info to digest, but at first glance your explanations look clearer to me than M-Audio’s. That whole Patchbay thing has confused the heck out of me.

Thanks Stringer. Those slider controls I am familiar with (maybe I do have a brain cell or 2 left after all).

I’ll get back to this post with results.

My bad. Microsludge has a version of XP out dubbed ME for “Media Edition”. There was a Win98 based “ME” too. Confusion abounds…

TG