nTrack Audio Input

Audio Input Level Adjustments

I am currently using nTrack 4.1 and still experiencing some problems with the levels of input from my mic preamps. Does nTrack restrict or limit input levels from PCI audio interfaces? If so, how do I access the software to adjust the input levels?

<!–QuoteBegin>

I am currently using nTrack 4.1 and still experiencing some problems with the levels of input from my mic preamps. Does nTrack restrict or limit input levels from PCI audio interfaces? If so, how do I access the software to adjust the input levels?

AFAIK n-Track doesn’t but the Windows mixer does. Check the Recording mixer for your soundcard (or maybe it’s just the generic Windows mixer)

Yes, volume control is through the PC volume control. There is a way to access them through N (I don’t have my PC in front of me, so I can’t tell you how), but you can also access them the old fashioned way. Given you have the windows software, do the following:

1. Open up your volume control (double click on the speaker icon in the bottom right corner).
2. Click options-> properties.
3. Select the radio button next to "recording."
4. Click “OK.”
5. Make sure “Line-in” is selected (or “Line-in/Mic-in,” “Mic-In,” or “record what you hear” if it is a last resort, depending on how your soundcard is set up).
6. Make sure Ntrack is open underneath volume control, and that monitor record levels is selected.
7. Test your audio from your preamps, and watch the record monitor levels.
8. Adjust the fader until at the desired level.

In case you or someone else reading this post has SB software:

Open up the volume controls. The fader for record levels is on the right side. Where the icon of the input being recorded is shown above that channel, there is a drop down menu that will allow you select the desired input. Follow steps 6, 7 and 8.

hth,
fish

<!–QuoteBegin>

There is a way to access them through N (I don’t have my PC in front of me, so I can’t tell you how),

CNTRL-F4 (recording)and CNTRL-F3 (playback)

Note that the instructions above are valid for soundcards that use the Windows mixer, and not for many aftermarket soundcards. For those soundcards, you use the software that came with the card to control it. Tell us which card and we don’t have to guess.

Also, another way to get there is n-Track’s menus: “View -> Soundcard’s mixer”. But again, that only pulls up the Windows mixers, unless you’ve set the path to your soundcard’s programs in “Preferences -> Paths”.

yeah, sorry. I meant to say that. thanks. :)

I am using the Echo Gina G3 audio interface and have thoroughly reviewed the manual looking for input volume controls. I have been unable to locate any input volume controls and assumed that the inputs were bing controlled by the Microsoft Windows kernel mixer. I am also assuming that the volume controls that you mentioned are the same as the " Microsoft Windows kernel mixer" which is only depicted in a diagram in the Gina G3 manual.

You should have something that looks like this…

According to the manual, it is installed when you run the driver install program. Look at the Echo program group in your Start Menu. You start it up from somewhere. ???

TG

Suggestion from gtr4him:

I had previously accessed the window (for Gina G3 ) which is similar to the Layla window that you placed in the forum response. There are no volume input controls on the panel unless I am overlooking the obvious ! Thanks for all suggestions and comments…I will continue to work on problem

The info is in the manual. I downloaded and read it before I bought my card. I did not get the Echo card though. Read the manual carefully about setting up the card, driver and console. Like Prego, it’s in there! :D

TG

In any case, it’s your soundcard that must control the input signal level, because this must be done in analog hardware before conversion to digital. n-Track only sees the digital data and has no control over the soundcard’s analog hardware. This would be true of any DAW software with the exception of those DAW programs that are built for specific hardware (like ProTools).

It’s too bad that there’s not a universal standard to make this easier for DAWs to integrate the soundcard’s control panels.

The screen above only seems to show monitoring or recording controls, but not both independently. Perhaps you don’t get independent control over monitoring levels, other than on/off (which I would suspect is the buttons in the green square, without having read the manual).