nTrack Drummer

Can I?

:D Hello,
Hey, how do I get nTrack Drummer to play a midi file that I have created and loaded into nTrack?
The track plays but not with nDrummer.
If I click on that midi files track preferences and look at the list of instruments, I don't see nDrummer.
However I can open it via the effects drop down menue.
But it does it's on thing from that point.
Or is nTrack Drummer for creating patterns only?

Real curious, Thx.
Levi

Hi Levi,

for you midi file make sure that ntrack drums is loaded as the output vsti. also you either want to clear the current pattern in ntrack drums or just uncheck the option on the to play the pattern. so the ntrack drum pattern and your midi file don’t play at the same time.

hope this makes sense

You can see why people get turned off by this stuff.
Take the second line for instance; it contains two letters followed by a number followed by more numbers.
What the heck is that supposed to mean anyway?
Heres a chance for you midi geeks to really sell us on the idea of midi. :laugh: So for the sake of argument lets say that CC means control someting. On good ol #71. So you hit control and c then 71 to cutoff frequency? huh? That got me sticking my toung out to the left.

MIDI control messages supported

CC #71 Cutoff frequency
CC #9 NA Volume (64 = 0dB)
CC#12 NA Pan (64 = Center)
CC#16 Generic 1 Velocity (applies to all the pads)
CC#17 Generic 2 Low-pass Filter velocity (0 = off)
CC#18 Generic 3 Pitch bend range (applies to all the pads)
CC#19 Generic 4 Tune (64 = normal)

Quote: (nramusic @ Jan. 22 2009, 8:14 PM)

Hi Levi,

for you midi file make sure that ntrack drums is loaded as the output vsti.
also you either want to clear the current pattern in ntrack drums or just uncheck the option on the to play the pattern. so the ntrack drum pattern and your midi file don't play at the same time.

hope this makes sense

Hey thx! I'll give that some practice first chance.
Yes it makes sense! Well it made sense until your summation. But you have me headed in the right direction, considering I"m usin a blind mans cane and reality galsses! ;)
Much appreciated!
Quote: (nramusic @ Jan. 22 2009, 8:14 PM)

Hi Levi,

for you midi file make sure that ntrack drums is loaded as the output vsti.
also you either want to clear the current pattern in ntrack drums or just uncheck the option on the to play the pattern. so the ntrack drum pattern and your midi file don't play at the same time.

hope this makes sense

Thx nr that worked first time! One thing I don't like about this method so far is that fact that you can't add fx or adjust eq on that track. So mixing will be a little tough.

n-Track Drum Tutorial
I managed to save this a long time ago. Hope it helps.

All things MIDI… LINKAGE Dooood… :p

D

PS CC == Controller Change message OR Continuous Controller

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 22 2009, 8:39 PM)

n-Track Drum Tutorial

Ya thx, I'll check that out tomorrow. I found it pretty easy, to experiment anyway. nDrummer has quite a few options for mixing the sound of the drums. I then mixed it down to a wav file but it all looked very weird. The wav file was about 4 mins long and had large blank areas along the time line covering at least 4 measures each. That happened about 5 times in the entirety of the song. I'll check into that later. I'm gettin tired at the moment. Maybe come up with a screen shot later.
Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 22 2009, 9:22 PM)

All things MIDI... LINKAGE Dooood... :p

D

PS CC == Controller Change message OR Continuous Controller

Thx I'll study that soon!
Much appreciated good buddy!
for now, me ---------> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I see potential.
Quote:

for now, me ---------> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Yep. Me too... G'night ya crazy ol' blues banger! :laugh:

LATER GENTS! (and any ladies that might be lurking... doubt it...)

D
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 22 2009, 8:39 PM)

n-Track Drum Tutorial

Very good... got part 2?

Part 2 was never done from what I heard.

Could some of you folks that are competent at drums create some patterns that we could load into n_Track? Or do they exist somewhere already?
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have Jamstix with all their kits, but I can’t use it because I don’t know drums - or midi for that matter. I just watched the video Part 1 on n-tracks drummer. Pretty cool. As an ol’ folkie, I was never into drums, now I love what they can do for a song - but I need it simple to use, to match my IQ.
Bax

Quote:

As an ol' folkie, I was never into drums, now I love what they can do for a song - but I need it simple to use,

I got three letters for you Bax, "EZD". If there was ever a dirt simple, great sounding drum software, it's EZD. Unfortunately, it's a PITA to use in n-Track right now. Flavio is on the case though...

D

PS Hey EZD is sooo easy to use, if I can do it, anybody can...

Yep - I tried jamstix befor I bought EZDrummer and the call was easy for me. Flavio is giving EZDrummer a going over too so he should have them working together soon.

You could just download a midi file of a tune you like (in midi not mp3 of course) open it on n and assign the drum track to whatever to play around with it.

thanks for the tutorial - i plan to study it this cold rainy weekend!

wish it was warm enough here to rain.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 23 2009, 8:27 PM)

wish it was warm enough here to rain.

62 today... almost summer-ish! It was 11 just a couple days ago... :laugh:

D

Also, guys on the hunt should check out XLN Audio’s “Addictive Drums”. If I had known about it sooner… It would be on my hard drive instead of EZ Drummer. They have a pretty nice demo on their web site…

D