nTrack for live playing

requirements for live playing

I have to play live , through a DAW (Lexicon Omega), a computer, and a sequencer, with the following requirements

1 guitar, going to Guitar Rig
2 voice, going to GAC-1, Antares Avox Duo and a Delay (3 inserts)
MIDI control (from a Foot Controller) to Guitar Rig. GAC-1 and Antares seem not to be MIDI enabled

My Omega might have 4 inputs, so 3 fit well.

The problem is in the sequencer. Currently I am using 2 inputs (so, guitar and voice) and not all the vst I mentioned, in Cubase LE 1. Sonar 8 is unusable, it booms latency when you add a new insert.

My questions is if nTrack will be able to handle all that (after all, the requirements are not sofisticated, no recording, no automation, no 48 tracks…) and if there is any experience (one of my concerns might be the Lexicon Omega, their drivers might be dodgy). I use ASIO4ALL

thanks

You might try…

http://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html

I wouldn’t recommend n as a VST host for live playing.

D

I’m back… :)

For hosting VST’s or VSTi’s for live play, low latency is a must. This means your audio/MIDI interface AND your host must operate with as low a buffering setting as possible. That will depend a lot on how efficient your interface driver operates shuttling data to/from your host. As you already mentioned, you are forced to use ASIO4ALL for your interface, you may find that to be a real problem!

Unfortunately, yours is not the first post I have read regarding Lexicons lousy drivers for that range of interfaces.

Download the n demo and give it a whirl but I’d be amazed if you can get acceptable performance. The Xlutop host might work depending on how well the Lexi runs.

D

I am NOT an authority on what you are trying to do. However, I know a few folks who use computer music to enrich their live sets. That is, they play back accompaniment tracks and sing and play along. In every case, they are using outboard effects to enhance the live vocal and instruments.

Quote: (bax3 @ Aug. 31 2009, 11:48 AM)

I am NOT an authority on what you are trying to do.
However, I know a few folks who use computer music to enrich their live sets.
That is, they play back accompaniment tracks and sing and play along.
In every case, they are using outboard effects to enhance the live vocal and instruments.

I use VSTis straight off the laptop and 0 latency plugs all the time. It is very doable.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Aug. 31 2009, 11:57 AM)

Quote: (bax3 @ Aug. 31 2009, 11:48 AM)

I am NOT an authority on what you are trying to do.
However, I know a few folks who use computer music to enrich their live sets.
That is, they play back accompaniment tracks and sing and play along.
In every case, they are using outboard effects to enhance the live vocal and instruments.

I use VSTis straight off the laptop and 0 latency plugs all the time. It is very doable.

Yep. It is very doable... I just don't think n will do it. *shrug*

D

thanks

I will check chainer
I am happy with the latency I get with Cubase LE 1 (2004 build), around 17 ms with ASIO4ALL, using guitar RIG, GAC-1 and AVOX. The only problem there is that I cannot add a 3d track, so I will try another sequencer (forget Sonar 8.3.1, in my case it just can deal with guitar RIG, GAC or Antares jeopardize it)