OCD distortion

ever tried it?

Got a chance today to try out three things I really liked. A PRS guitar with p90 pickups (hey, it’s OK, it’s not a LP), which was really really nice, a Fulltone Obsessive Compulsive Drive pedal, and a Carr Mercury Tube Amp.

My wife wants me to buy all three.

Hi Tom:
You’ll soon have to consider putting a sub-floor into that Basement.

Can you ask your wife if it’s O.K. for me to get that Drumulator VSTi? :O ??? :laugh:

Bill…

I hear ya, Bill!

Well, she just wants me to be happy. So I bought the distortion pedal. It’s very…distorted. :)

I’m intrigued with that Carr Mercury Tube Amp… Got a photo of it? or what does it closely look like. in the “classic” sense? What output tubes are in it?

Bill

Bill, I went back and played the amp again today. It is unbelievable. Unlike any amp I’ve ever played.

The design is interesting. It is set up for an EL-34 for the power tube, but it will take any octal pentode or beam power tube - they list KT-66, 6L6, KT-88, and 6550 as options. It’s set up with fixed bias and is designed with test points on the bottom of the chassis - so it would be easy to bias, even for someone like me. :) The bias can also be adjusted for a cleaner or a thicker sound with any given power tube.

It has a complement of 2 12AX7 tubes and a 12AT7, and has three really interesting features. First is a three position boost knob - the second two positions bypass the tone controls and increase the gain, and have a low end cut. Second there is high pass filter, so esp. with the second and third boost setting you can alos cut the high end to get a pretty warm and fuzzy sound. Third is a built in power soak - it runs nominally at 8 watts (but is really, really loud), but has 2, 1/2, and1/10 watt settings - the amp runs at its full power but the speaker gets less. I love this sort of feature - I have another amp with a power soak built in, and have a rack mount power soak box. But however they did it with this amp, it just kills. Especially with the Paul Reed Smith guitar I played through it. (hey, this amp might even make a Les Paul sound good!) (kidding, LPs are amazing, yes, yes, I know…)

Oooohhhh, what am I gonna sell?

:D

Picture is the purple amp at the top left of their web page:

http://www.carramps.com/

Here:

Tube complement:
From right to left looking at the back of the amp
V1 - 12AX7EH - first and second gain stage
V2 - 12AT7WA - reverb drive
V3 - 12AX7C - reverb return and mix stage
V4 - EL-34 power tube

<!–QuoteBegin>

KT-66 – EL-34 tone comparison in the Mercury

The Mercury amp was designed using the Chinese KT-66. At the time of the amps introduction the supply of Chinese KT-66s (my favorite of the KT-66 current production tubes) was plentiful. After the first year of the mercury the Chinese stopped producing the KT-66. We then switched to the Groove Tubes KT-66HP (Russian made). This is also a nice tube but we ran into bias drift problems when the tube was run very hard for extended periods - something mercury owners, including me, tend to do! I made a decision to find the best sounding, most reliable current production tube to replace the KT-66HP. After countless hours I settled on the JJ brand E34L which shared the KTs ability to split the difference between 6L6 tone and EL-34 crunch.

Many people wonder the sonic differences between the two tubes.

The similarities far outweigh the differences. The KT-66s have a bit more of the Fendery tone in the cleans while the EL-34 leans to the British on the clean tones - more jangly rather then glassy and more upper mid cut. In moderate overdrive the EL-34 is more graceful in its transition to distortion. This is a favorite setting of mine - volume at about half in the second boost setting with a hummbucker in the bridge position.

Great early AC/DC or Mick Ronson like overdrive - mild and raw at the same time. I love the EL-34 for this. In the heavily overdriven tone I find the EL-34 much smoother then the KT-66. All in all, thought they are similar which was my goal when looking for a replacement, the JJ brand seems to have this combined EL-34/6L6 sound while most of the other EL-34 I tried just did the British thing.

If you are primarily a clean player you can always use a 6L6 in the Mercury.

The bias we set the E34Ls at is 45ma with 120V on the AC mains. The KT-66 we set on 50ma.

I have the JJ E34L in my personal Mercury!

Hey, Bill, here is a picture of the heart and soul:

Beautiful… TomS…

Sydney is playing the Habs in the “Early Game” tonight on Hockey Night in Canada and the USA and Newfoundland… as Foster Hewitt would say when he introduced the CBC Radio Show on Saturday Night… That was before 1949 and Newfoundland was not part of Canada…

I can’t sit here and listen to the game and not see Crosby take his shift…

Sorry, I’ll post tomorrow…

What an amp that is…

Bill…

Hey, we’re watching the Sens take apart the Sabres right now!

Lots of good hockey tonight! See ya tomorrow! :)

The Leafs woke up and won last night… :O :p They should’a saved some of them goals for some game when they need a “Winning Goal”…

Anyway, My Team beat Sydney last night… That Ruutu guy is gonna get hurt some night if he keeps up his “Ice Attitude”… The other teams around the NHL aren’t gonna tolerate his style and let him get away with it… I heard them talking about any available Lower Bowl Seats were going for $500.00 a-piece… All the Montreal’ers wanted to see Their Team beat Sydney… Although, they like to see a good Game over there… and they know a Good Game when they see one… It seems, that all the Montreal lines got a chance to skate with Sydney… but they were frightened to touch him… Nobody skates on their ice without getting “Hit”…

The late game, out on the coast is just too late for me to watch…

[EDIT]
I had to come back to add… Was it an “Under-Dog” night for Hockey? Did any of the games go to the Benches that were supposed to win?

The Penguins are on the Auction Block… Lets go splits and buy the team… You’ll be able to buy a million of those amps…

Have you seen any photos of the “Hardware/Transformer” side of that chassis?

Did you LIFT that amp? Does it have any “Heft” to it? Are you able to see the back of the speaker? Do they put a decent speaker in it? I should go in to the Musicstop over here to see if they are selling it over here… What are they asking for it? From what I see it’s all hand wired… There ain’t no robots putting it together… What part of the country is it made?

You know Hartley Peavey started out making his amps that way… Too bad…

??? I think he forgot how good amps are supposed to be built-and-sound…

You know… today’s generation of players coming through have to have an amp to “Grow-up” with… There isn’t too many amps out there that are built right and can afford to buy… :O :(

Bill…

You’re an early riser, Bill!

The amp is heavy. Don’t have a photo of that side, but I wil post one later. The speaker is one of their own - hand made for the amp. I suspect that makes a difference. Their website lists dealers in about 25 states - and not one if Michigan! Nor is there one in Ohio. They are based - of all places - in Pittsboro, North Carolina - you know, the place they based Andy Griffith show on.

Here’s a list of some features you might find interesting:

I have to add this: plugging a strat into it on a clean setting cranked at 2 watts gives one instant Big Star sound at a very reasonable volume. September Gurls, the whole #1 Record sound. Which is my all time favorite rock recording. Everything about it. And I have the Ampex preamps now! :)

Well, Bill, I did it. 1200 on the credit card. Gonna sell some stuff. Usual guitar center buy now pay in 15 months with no interest. I did note that the going price for these on Ebay is around 1600, so that’s OK. Call it an investment. :)

Hi TomS:
I’m proud of you Tom.

I’m not one to Burn money or money that belongs to other people. Money is tough to come by, in this Day-and-Age. I’m the type of person that needs to justify trading money for material things if the need is justifiable… From what I see in the photos you posted there is plenty of value there. This ain’t no toy… Pittsboro, North Carolina and the people there knows what it takes to get their music out to their audience… I don’t think they are asking too much for their amp… I’m gonna say a comparable Fender Amp is gonna run you more than that… I’m going to see if that amp is available over here… I’ll wager that it’ll run 1500-1800.00 loonies… We’ll see…

I know, the guitar player on Brian White’s Stage when I was talking to him about the Vox AC 30 amp he had, set him back 2400.00 and I can tell you he questioned himself as to the money he laid out for that amp… when I asked him if it was a real one. He said it better be… lol… He was serious… 2400.00 is a bunch of cash… in any one’s hands… He used 5 guitars and a Black Faced Twin amp along with that AC 30 Amp, on that stage … The kid wasn’t any slouch with his music, either… :O :;):

I’m up and going sometime before 5am. My internal clock gets me going around then. I’m out for a morning walk at around 5:50am. I’m on-the job at around 6:55am. But… I’m looking forward to the Christmas Break… Wednesday is my last day till January 3rd…

Today, I put the supreme effort in and completed that '70’s Plastic project, Re-mastering job… It’s ALL DONE… :p :O All that’s required to complete it is lots of patience, a steady set of nerves and clean ears… I took on the task before I had enough software… and the “In-the-Box” knowledge to do it…

It was all done in n-Track, builds 2099 - 2191… I’ve listened to it on several CD Repro systems… I haven’t heard it in a car playback system yet…

I know Flavio is able to see the number of songs I play on my P-111 editing machine that I used for the project… When I check the number of songs I’ve play on this machine sense n-Track was able to log the “songs played” I have 2087 on the log file. With only “Two Tracks” recorded…

Thank you Flavio for the steady hand and patience you show … posting updated builds to a great editor.

Bill…

My sense is that a comparable Fender is a vintage one that has been rebuilt. And this amp has that great power soak feature - that isn’t standard Fender! :)

But you are right, there is no way I would have purchased this unless I thought I could turn around and sell it for the same price if need arose. I can now see that I don’t need any of my other, “pro-sumer” grade amplifiers anymore. Isn’t that nice? :)

Now - what’s this about the program keeping track of how many songs it plays? I’d like to see that statistic for my set up.

Hi TomS:
We live in a NetFramwork time With Service Pac’s and whatever… When we fire up our computers we have to open our doors to MicroSoft and the Programs and Applications we use on a Day-to-Day basis… I believe it includes everyone… as-well-as programmers and coders and sellers and buyers… and who else? We can’t do a “Key-Stroke” without it being available for others to see…

We produce a “Close Exception” while we edit our music creations on n-Track… we’ll use n-Track for the example… We create a dmp file … that’s if we choose… we are then able to send the .dmp file off to Flavio for him to check to see what happened to n-track when it failed… No, Flavio don’t care for that matter what’s on our computers… But he likes to know how he can assist us in making our music easier to create…

Let me stop there… Hey, I don’t care what’s on your computer… or anyone else’s computer, for that matter…

We know one-another, on this Board from how we interact with each-other… What a great place this is… In-My-Opinion, of course…

Now… back to n-Track… If you open the “About” screen in the “Drop-Down” menu and let it scroll, you’ll find that n-Track records how many songs have been loaded into n-Track… How many times they have been played… How many tracks have been recorded using n-Track… and Maybe more… Who knows… ?

I think it’s great… I have nothing to hide… You can’t hide anything on your computer, anyway…

As far as I know, there’s no one out there that is above this… that is, if they are using an operating system that has NetFramWork installed on their desks… We discussed all of that on this board when it first came into being… way-back-when… If I remember…

Check it out TomS… Comments please, guys…

Bill…

Hey, I think that’s cool, I want to go look at that statistic…or maybe I don’t. It’ll probably just tell me that I’ve recorded a lot of crappola. :)