Oceanlike sound in mic and preamp?

What happened?

I’ve been recording without any problems. I turn on my mic and preamp today and there is a constant oceanlike sound that i hear in the headphones and that gets recorded as well. It makes the VU move…twitching a little. And no, it’s not any type of environmental ambient sound where I am. Any solutions? Thanks.

Edited to add-When I push in the ‘PAD’ button on the preamp, most of that sound disappears. I have no idea what the “PAD” button is for or what it means, and I’ve never had it pushed in while recording before. I’ve only had the +48V button pushed in and lighted up.

“PAD” lowers the signal by a fixed amount, usually -10db.

Do you have another pre-amp to try? Sounds like something may be fried… Is it a tube pre-amp? Maybe your tube has died…

It’s probably the tube and most likely a 12ax7 you should try a 5751 they are cheap and those 5751’s are nice sounding. goto www.eurotubes.com Bob will answer any ?? you have. greeat guy.
Cheers
Cruiser

What mic and preamp, out of curiosity?

Thanks for the responses. It is a ‘Tubepre’ made by Presonus. I’ve only had it a few months. Could a tube have gone out that quick?

tubes can flame at any time, mostly no, especially preamp tubes 12ax7’s and the like, but they do. companies put the cheapest available in their products if it’s chinese get rid of it. Bob at eurotubes will set you up.

Cruiser

Quote (DC3443 @ May 23 2005,20:24)
Thanks for the responses. It is a 'Tubepre' made by Presonus. I've only had it a few months. Could a tube have gone out that quick?

Yep... I had to replace the tube in my old ART pre-amp shortly after I bought it. It was cheap, maybe $18 or so.. Easy to replace, no big deal.

What mic?

I ask b/c it sounds like something that happened to me - cheap condensor (superlux, like 30 bucks US!) works great for about a month, and then something in it started making the exact noise you describe. Do you have other mics to try? Or have you decided that it is indeed the preamp?

18.00 buks for a preamp tube is waaaay too much they should be 6-8 buks. Power tubes yeah but not pre’s.

cheers
Cruiser

Great place for tubes, cheap and expensive: Antique Audio Supply:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

6 bucks for chinese made 12ax7, 81 US dollars for Amperex Bugle Boy NOS. :)

Quote (cruiser @ May 24 2005,08:54)
18.00 buks for a preamp tube is waaaay too much they should be 6-8 buks. Power tubes yeah but not pre's.

Man... They didn't even give me a kiss after they sold me that tube, either. :laugh: