Octave error in Piano roll note display?

Build 1791

I will report this to Flavio but first I want to check with you folks.

It seems that the MIDI note numbers shown in the Piano Roll window are off by 2 octaves. When I play what is shown as note “C2” my VSTi’s seem to be playing “C0”.

I have checked all of the transpose settings in both n-Track and my VSTi’s and they are all set to “0”. Therefore, I think there is a display problem in “N”. This makes MIDI editing a bit confusing at times.

Can someone else check and advise? Thank you.

It seems that the MIDI note numbers shown in the Piano Roll window are off by 2 octaves. When I play what is shown as note "C2" my VSTi's seem to be playing "C0".
That's a MIDI standard thing....or lack of proper implementation. It's been going on for years in many apps.

The correct ranges would be C-2 to G8, but many (years ago most) would display them as C0 to G10. It was easier to code up C0 when translating 0-127 to text, so the "new standard became" C0..., and almost no one noticed or cared.

n-Tracks is already setup to do exactly waht you want. You can fix this by editing the names shown in banks_default.txt under [Note names], or you can add your own. The format is pretty straight forward. The only bug in n-Tracks is that it's not included in the text file already.

Just to make sure, what do you call middle C? Because there are two “standards”.

In n-Track, Middle C (MIDI note number 48) is C4. If that’s not what you’re getting, then there’s something wrong: either with n-Track or your VSTi. Try checking with the MS WaveTable synth, too. Evidently you’ve already tried with more than one VSTi – which ones?

Because there are two "standards".
That explains it even more.

Thanks!
Quote (learjeff @ Mar. 16 2005,12:46)
In n-Track, Middle C (MIDI note number 48) is C4. If that's not what you're getting, then there's something wrong: either with n-Track or your VSTi. Try checking with the MS WaveTable synth, too. Evidently you've already tried with more than one VSTi -- which ones?

The general MIDI spec 1.0 defines middle C as note#60 so that might be the problem right there.

I guess what is really at issue is how these notes are displayed (C1,C2, etc.).

All I know is that when I play C2 on my VSTi (SampleTank or ProteusX) "keyboard" I get a different octave than when I play C2 on the n-Track "keyboard". The VSTi's seem to be consistent with each other.

Since I can edit the n-Track display as Phoo suggests, this is no longer an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Um, I think I goofed up.

n-Track has always worked fine for me using MIDI (including importing and exporting MIDI files), but I just recently upgraded to V4. To test it out I just edited in a note at “C4” and played it using the MS software synth, and it sounded right. I’m sure you’re right that middle C is 60. Also, there used to be a C-1 and C-2 in the piano roll (or something like that).

I think there’s a bug, and I’ll look into it further later. Phoo, if you edit the text file, does that also affect the labeling of the piano keys?

Phoo, if you edit the text file, does that also affect the labeling of the piano keys?
Yes, it does, even though only the C notes are displayed. I just tried it by changing just "48=C4" to "48=C-2" and middle C is displayed as C-2 in the piano roll. I also tried "48=Middle C" and that worked as well. (no quotes)

This is the list about halfway do under [Note names]