Odd Issues with V6

Plug ins, Aux buses, can’t revert to v4

Heya folks I’m right in the middle of trying to finish a record with nTrack (the second we have recorded with it) and was begining to run into some issues with file management - in short the tracking work we did has disappeared into the vapor of our standard recording hard drive (we were able to play back the night of the session, space is “missing” from the hard drive, but the .wav files are no where to be found) - in the spirit of trying to make sure we were up to date before complaining or posting issues, we felt the best plan was to upgrade to the latest version of ntrack, and reformating the hard drive in question (after a complete back up, so that if it is a NTFS file structure problem, we can start from scratch. The drive was also brand new, so phsical failure is unlikely) in the hopes that some of our issues would be resolved. For naught!!! Now that we have upgraded to v6 we have run across the following issues -

1) klaerhaus reverb plug in generates feedback

2) when adding new tracks to an existing song the new tracks have no aux busses

3) While as recently as last Friday night, we were able to jump back and forth between v4 and v6, currently we can NO LONGER USE v4!!!

Has anyone else run across similar issues? Are we running up against know bugs?
doing a search of the forums yielded no viable results, so I appologise in advance if these are common questions which have been answered time and time again…

Any help would be huge since we are approx 90% done with this project, are nearing deadline, and have a final recording session scheduled for Weds. evening…

HELP!!! :wink:

I’m really very sorry to hear about your lost files. I lost a complete song of tracks last yr with v5. so I know how you feel. If this is your second album with n there is no need to ask you the standard questions about “saving as” songs etc.

I do know that a couple of diffrent builds of V6 caused feedback for plugs and it was an ntrack issue. That was ironed out in build (aprox) 2510 or so or earlier. I believe the current download (it’s beta) is fee of that issue.
Wish I could help you more but there will be someone poppin up to help out soon :agree:

Quote: (Jimisin73 @ Oct. 26 2009, 11:45 PM)

for this click on the output of the track and from the drop down menu select add send.
a few versions back this became the new default behavior for sends.

for the reverb plug, check to see if it is mono or stereo (if mono then expand to stereo).
the old feedback issue had to do with that. so that may or may not work.

Thanks for the quick answers - I will pass these along and see if it solves any of the problems…

Heya folks I'm right in the middle of trying to finish a record with nTrack (the second we have recorded with it) and was begining to run into some issues with file management - in short the tracking work we did has disappeared into the vapor of our standard recording hard drive (we were able to play back the night of the session, space is "missing" from the hard drive, but the .wav files are no where to be found) - in the spirit of trying to make sure we were up to date before complaining or posting issues, we felt the best plan was to upgrade to the latest version of ntrack, and reformating the hard drive in question (after a complete back up, so that if it is a NTFS file structure problem, we can start from scratch. The drive was also brand new, so phsical failure is unlikely) in the hopes that some of our issues would be resolved. For naught!!! Now that we have upgraded to v6 we have run across the following issues -

3) While as recently as last Friday night, we were able to jump back and forth between v4 and v6, currently we can NO LONGER USE v4!!!

Has anyone else run across similar issues? Are we running up against know bugs?
doing a search of the forums yielded no viable results, so I appologise in advance if these are common questions which have been answered time and time again...

Any help would be huge since we are approx 90% done with this project, are nearing deadline, and have a final recording session scheduled for Weds. evening...

HELP!!! ;)

The sudden loss of data could be just about anything. What comes to mind is, could the hard drive or the machine been near a speaker at anytime, such as placing the laptop/PC on top a speaker or anything similar. This will wipe a section of the drive and also report the drives capacity to be less than it should be. (I once placed a mic near a hard drive and lost 50% of it's size permanently) In this case the data is gone. On the other hand, failures in the file structure with the file headers being missed placed on the drive or sectors on the drive no longer working, the files will appear to be gone, when in fact they are still on the drive. There are programs, like "undelete" or other program that can retrieve lost data, that can search the drive for files in which the headers no longer report them and can be copied back to another drive. However, if you did a backup of this drive only the files that could be seen, those files whose files structure/headers were intact would be copied. Files which were hidden (seemingly lost), because the headers were corrupt and not seen on the drive would not be copied. Formatting this drive would destroy all the data only if you did a full low level format. If you did a "quick" format, it's possible the files are still there, hidden from view because only the headers are removed. This is what is commonly referred to as a quick format. If you did a quick format, do not use the drive anymore, meaning do not add files to it because it could over write the files you might be able to recover. Use a another drive to install undeleted or other program to restore files. If you can restore missing files, store them on another drive.

I hope this helps and I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

PACO

the feedback loop bug is back.
tested the classic reverb tonite, sure enough if its placed on a mono track the feedloop begins. only taking it off and making the track stereo will make it useable again.

also found the same result with green machine ampsim. but this worked again if you just made it stereo. did have to remove it first. I'll go update the bug report.

I’ve noticed some odd screeches, too, with certain plug-ins.

But I’m also having major problems with the GUI. It is really sluggish to respond, also it takes several seconds for the sound to reflect the changes made in the controls. It seem like the functioality of n-Track is too closely tied to the graphics driver… or whatever. OK, so my PC isn’t exactly new, but the processor is not redlinig, its only at half-power or less.

Jimisin73, the swithcing between v4 and 6 -thingie: did you save the song in v6?

I wrote a emai to Flavio last night as I had forgotten my Bugzilla password… and because there was like a whole handful of issues. Yeees, I’m not a perticulary satisfied customer right now. Problems like these usually pop up when I’m done with the preleminaries and really digging in the mix. Frustrating.

I:-T

My inability to use v4 was user error - the shortcut on my desktop for v4 stopped working, but when you actually went into the nTrack V4 folder and ran the .exe it worked fine.

That said, I think we’ve got v6 up and running and recorded a new session last night for the stuff we lost.

Onward and upward!! Thanks for all the help guys…

Quote: (Jimisin73 @ Oct. 29 2009, 9:16 AM)

My inability to use v4 was user error - the shortcut on my desktop for v4 stopped working, but when you actually went into the nTrack V4 folder and ran the .exe it worked fine.

That said, I think we've got v6 up and running and recorded a new session last night for the stuff we lost.

Onward and upward!! Thanks for all the help guys...

Let the good times roll. :)

PACO
Quote: (Jimisin73 @ Oct. 29 2009, 9:16 AM)

we've got v6 up and running and recorded a new session last night for the stuff we lost.

Onward and upward!! Thanks for all the help guys...

:agree:
Quote: (Iwont Tell @ Oct. 28 2009, 8:02 PM)

>... or whatever. OK, so my PC isn't exactly new, but the processor is not redlining, its only at half-power or less. <

Oops!
It seems like the CPU meter in n-Track measures resources used by only the program itself. Well of course it does. When I had the sense to check the performance tab in Windows Task manager, well, the CPU is working at 100%. So I'm gonna do the old track freeze thingie next. Silly me.

I had a session yesterday mainly with old projects, but I made a new song too. I had some strange problems. I have vs. 2519

Some of them are probably caused by my inability with the new version, but anyway I have to sort 'em out. I really appreciate any help!

1. With a new song I managed to make an aux send into a track and placed a Kjaerhus Classic Reverb there in the aux channel. But I can’t hear the reverb! I see the meters swinging there like they should, but I hear only the dry sound.

In old sessions I’m pretty sure reverb works. (Or it sounded just cool without actually hearing them)

2. With a new song I tried to add the Blockfish compressor in Vocal track. It sounds like a delay.

In old sessions Blockfish seems to work normally.

3. On one old song I have feedback in a lead guitar track where there’s a Twin reverb plugin, tube screamer plugin (I don’t remember the maker, old freebie plugin that has some amps and pedals modelled, Simul analog suite maybe)and a Classic delay. It’s a loud track.

Similiar set ups don’t have feed back in other songs.

I have some more but these are the most important ones.

varakeef:
1. Do you have the Aux return level set on the master channel? That might be it.
2. I’m baffled. CPU-overload or high buffering, perhaps.
3. This is could be a bug discussed earlier, try the latest build.

1. Now it seems I figured out the aux system, thanks.

The signal routing seems to be changed in a way that you have to adjust another slider in master chhannel to get effects heard. I think it’s unnecessary innovation, I just don’t see why it should be activated from three sliders instead of two.

2.Maybe the Blockfish problem is connected the bug you mentioned too.

It shouldn’t be because of high buffers and latency. It may be, but it is not supposed to work that way. I have huge buffers and I want it be that way. I thing the plugin latency compensation doesn’t work like it did in vs 4.

The program should take it’s time to process the channel and delay the whole thing until it’s ready. Not just the effect.

The new version did the trick with the Blockfish too! :agree:

But here’s a bonus question. Why N-track wants to go into internet everytime I start the program. I don’t want it to do that. Where to turn that option off?

This sounds familiar somehow…Search the forum?

Settings, Preferences, Options Tab, then in lower right part of window, “Check Website for new versions”.

Thanks, pingcat!