Oh man...look what I just scored!

Or a plumber…

It could very well be worth 20K but my point is that I don’t know, nor do I necessarily believe that just because it is rare or that Mark Farner used one that it has gained that much in value.
I did a quick eBay and Google search and I couldn’t find out any information on the value of one of these guitars.

There are lots of guitars that are just as unique as this one that are not worth anywhere’s near as much as you paid for yours.
Just look at the Vintage Vault column (or whatever it’s called) in GP.

Mike, I entirely agree, past market behavior is the best guide. I’ve only found it once, for 5K USA clams.

Cut the guy some slack… these things are subjective. I wouldn’t give 10 bucks for it myself… but if it is “special” to him… why not?

I’m not one to jones after vintage gear or pumped up “hoity-toity” stuff. I buy 'em to play… not hang on the wall and stare at. Some folk like to buy the high dollar toys. Nothing wrong with it. (Except for all the homeless… and kids starving… and cats sleeping with dogs! OH THE HORROR!!!) Please! Sell it! Stop the cat/dog inter-breeding!! Is NOTHING sacred anymore???

UJ

PS Next thing you know, people will be keeping Raccoons indoors and breeding them with all manner of critters and even inanimate objects… It’s a SICK world we live in…

I heard about mice with human brains.

Quote: (Mr Soul @ Nov. 01 2010, 1:58 PM)

Man - I wouldn't make any assumptions on the value of vintage gear.
That guitar might be priceless or it might worthless.
Right now it has significance because it was Mark Farner's guitar (for a short while) and because it's rare, but it's a company that didn't survive and didn't have much other significance.
Therefore, I wouldn't invest 5K in it unless I was sure it was worth that as an investment, no matter how much I wanted the damn thing.
But that's just the way I approach antiques and vintage stuff.
And also, it's because my money is scarce and there is so many ways I could use 5K.

I onced owned a Gurian maple cutaway.
I decided to sell it no long after Gurian went out of business but I couldn't even get my money out of it.
I end of waiting 20 years and found a collector who wanted Gurian guitars, so I sold it for $1,500.
My point is that I could not have predicted the value of the guitar all these years before.

"it was Mark Farner's guitar (for a short while)"

It was the guitar he used on the first 4 albums which are the most important "classic" works for GFR afficionado's. You'd have to be an enthusiast to understand.
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 01 2010, 3:46 PM)

I suspect yer just not as full of it as U1 Tom. Cash that is. :p

WTF? I detect hidden meaning there. I guess you don't want to play nice afterall. Time to break out the kung-fu grip.
Quote: (Mr Soul @ Nov. 01 2010, 6:49 PM)

It could very well be worth 20K but my point is that I don't know, nor do I necessarily believe that just because it is rare or that Mark Farner used one that it has gained that much in value.
I did a quick eBay and Google search and I couldn't find out any information on the value of one of these guitars.

There are lots of guitars that are just as unique as this one that are not worth anywhere's near as much as you paid for yours.
Just look at the Vintage Vault column (or whatever it's called) in GP.

Couple things:

I'm am unfortunately a vintage gear whore and I've got several very reputable connections in the gear market who buy and sell this stuff all day long.
From a pure collectability standpoint, the Meesengers are fetching way more than what I paid and the prices continue to go up.
They're very rare and the desirability factor isn't solely based on the fact that Farner played one.

The market value of collectables are based on perceived value and worth. They're like stocks that trade on an exchange.
That doesn't mean however that any one particular individual would pay market rate or even subjectively deem a given item worthwhile.
Take Salvador Dali or Picasso paintings as an example...I think their ugly and gross and would never adorn my walls with one, or pay the ridiculous sums they command.
Another case in point...'59 Sunburst Les Pauls with original PAF's are regarded as holy grail "must have" axes.
Personally, my Gary Moore signature LP with Burstbuckers is better constructed and sounds a hell of a lot better, so I'd never seek out or pay for a '59 but there are plenty of fools lined up who will pay $25K - $40K for one.
Quote: (Unknown1 @ Nov. 02 2010, 11:32 AM)

[quote=Poppa Willis,Nov. 01 2010, 3:46 PM]I guess you don't want to play nice afterall.
Time to break out the kung-fu grip.

Careful... Pops is a Country/Western Ninja master. He once crippled a feller from all the way across the joint just by givin' him the 'Stank Eye'... Your kung-fu grip is powerless gwas-hoppa...

UJ

I ain’t skeered o’ no nunknown ninjaz… bring it…

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 02 2010, 12:59 PM)

I ain't skeered o' no nunknown ninjaz..... bring it....

Done. Prepare thyself. :laugh:

and here I thought we wuzza gonna be friends

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 02 2010, 1:31 PM)

and here I thought we wuzza gonna be friends

We are, brutha...I'm just kiddin. Time to make some musique! :)
Quote: (Unknown1 @ Nov. 02 2010, 11:30 AM)

["it was Mark Farner's guitar (for a short while)"

It was the guitar he used on the first 4 albums which are the most important "classic" works for GFR afficionado's.
You'd have to be an enthusiast to understand.

that must be really exciting to own a rare guitar your hero used!
But i dont know GFR or mark farner. is that Guns for Roses & Slashs real name?

Tina

You don’t know GFR or Mark Farner? Tina, I approve of you more and more. :agree:

Quote: (TinaM @ Nov. 02 2010, 4:30 PM)

Quote: (Unknown1 @ Nov. 02 2010, 11:30 AM)

["it was Mark Farner's guitar (for a short while)"

It was the guitar he used on the first 4 albums which are the most important "classic" works for GFR afficionado's.
You'd have to be an enthusiast to understand.

that must be really exciting to own a rare guitar your hero used!
But i dont know GFR or mark farner. is that Guns for Roses & Slashs real name?

Tina

Here ya go...a trip down the memory lane of raw power trio energy.

the power trio with a hammond guy. :)

I don’t think that counts.

I listened to a whole bunch of GFR stuff last night, first time in years, never really appreciated how up front the bass is in the mix.