Oil companies posting record profits...

wondering what to do…

Read THIS and comment?

I found this quote amusing…

<!–QuoteBegin>

“This is the mother of all booms,” said Oppenheimer & Co. oil analyst Fadel Gheit. “They have so much profit, it’s almost an embarrassment of riches. They don’t know what to do with it.

I could offer a few suggestions if they would just ask! :angry:

TG

Yes - I saw this report. If their making so much in profits, why can’t they lower the price of gas alittle bit? Interesting question - huh?

If we had a Democratic President (like Jimmie Carter), we might have a windfall profits tax.

Quote (Mr Soul @ July 22 2005,11:50)
If we had a Democratic President (like Jimmie Carter), we might have a windfall profits tax.

oh yes...I am SURE we would.

You’re right & our deficit would go down if he did. We might be able to pay for your war in Iraq.

whoa mister…MY war in Iraq?

Carter?!? Is that the best you can do? I remember all too clearly waiting in long lines with my parents to buy gas when Jimmy was in the white-house. Anybody else recall gas rationing in the form of the "odd/even" days? Ah... but he was a Democrat, so he can do no wrong, yes?

So the oil companies are making a profit - big deal - that's what companies are supposed to do. Would be nice if they were allowed to use some of that money to build some new refineries, and maybe poke a couple of new holes in the ground up north.

How does the price of gas today compare to the price of gas 20 years ago (in today's dollars)? Anyone know where to find that info?

<!–QuoteBegin>

whoa mister…MY war in Iraq?

You support this war & you voted for the people who created it. I DID NOT!

you are too funny.

John, I remember the gas “shortage” all to well. I was ran away from more than one station setting in line on fumes, only to have a highway patrol using his loudspeaker telling me to get my heap out of the road!

But it did work in my favor, when I turned 18 and had to register for the draft, couldn’t get the gas to do the 30 mile travel to register, so was alittle bit late in getting there, 2 mons late. Showed up on april fools day, told em it was a joke.

Jimmy Carter, ah yes, the dude with the 18% prime rate, put me out of work then cause residential housing went into the toilet. No Construction anywhere. Yep democrat, hmmm, can’t tell the difference in any of those bozo’s anymore myself.

Yaz - I mentioned Carter only because he created the Windfall Profits tax, not for any other reason. Sorry I used Carter as an example. I’ll use Kerry?

Quote (John @ July 22 2005,13:28)

Carter?!? Is that the best you can do? I remember all too clearly waiting in long lines with my parents to buy gas when Jimmy was in the white-house. Anybody else recall gas rationing in the form of the "odd/even" days? Ah... but he was a Democrat, so he can do no wrong, yes?

So the oil companies are making a profit - big deal - that's what companies are supposed to do. Would be nice if they were allowed to use some of that money to build some new refineries, and maybe poke a couple of new holes in the ground up north.

How does the price of gas today compare to the price of gas 20 years ago (in today's dollars)? Anyone know where to find that info?

I'm with JPB on this one. Build a few refineries on OUR shores and fund some exploration and drilling on OUR shores AND fund research into alternative fuels. Yes, I know that sounds crazy. Why cut their own throats right? But you never know what they could do... if they would TRY.

TG

PS The Carter period sucked.

I disagree about the Carter period. Yes interest rates were high & unemployment was high but it was largely caused by the oil crisis. Carter tried to tell us that we should get away from foreign oil. Carter was a little preachy for me but he was a good man. Ironically, it was his fed chairman, Paul Volcher, that ultimately did him in by trying to control inflation.

Look at what followed. Reagan came into office - cut taxes, increased government spending & deregulated everything. On the surface that looked good because inflation went down & people had jobs but it created the HUGE structural deficits that we have now. It also created the massive military spending that alot of states got hooked on & are now paying the price for with base cuts. Maine, my old state, has been hurt alot by base closings. Also, deregulation has not been everything it’s cut out to be.

Reagan also told us to consume, spend & do anything we want, which IMO was not good. We also got even hooked more on foriegn oil than we already were.

The Reagan period sucked. I worked as a public servant then, but I got out in 1980 because I saw the hand-writing on the wall.

i embarrassed that that carter clown is from my home state… i’ve not met a single person who really lived through his charades that recalls him fondly…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Maine, my old state, has been hurt alot by base closings.

but if it makes the military more effective, then this is good… although some people erroneously think otherwise, it is not the priority of the military to create jobs for communities… if the military were made more effective and could protect me better by wearing purple underwear and living in treehouses, then i’m all for it… even here in georgia we’re expecting closings, and i am incredibly annoyed by those that are bemoaning this…

isaac

OK Soul Man, I agree to a point about deregulation. It did not deliver all that was promised. We still had it better during Reagan than Carter. At least around here.

TG

Sure you had it better but you were paying for it.

<!–QuoteBegin>

i’ve not met a single person who really lived through his charades that recalls him fondly…

Is that really true? Carter has been one of the most distinquished & praised of all the ex-Presidents, particularly for his peace work, etc. He won the Nobel Peace Prize 2002.

Carter was the first President I ever voted for. He’s still one of my favorite Presidents, despite the high inflation (which went down under his Fed. chairman). If the mission to save the hostages hadn’t gone down in flames, he would have been re-elected too.

Carter and his genius grain embargo of the USSR in 1980 just about ruined my father.

Who cares if he got a Nobel Prize AFTER he was President

<!–QuoteBegin>

He won the Nobel Peace Prize 2002.

are you aware that yassar arafat also won the nobel “peace” prize?.. i got a trophy for playing little league baseball, but does that make me a great ball player?.. i’ve some friends who call it the nobel piss prize… i’m not sure that i agree with them totally, but it’s still amusing…

well, if you include friends online, like you guys, then my claim isn’t true… but, yes, in person i’ve never met anyone who likes the guy… i even hate seeing the carter center down here… i’m glad my girlfriend moved so that i don’t have to see it as much…

thanks,
isaac

Should we have bombed them Clarke? Speaking of grain, is CAFTA going to help grain farmers?

<!–QuoteBegin>

are you aware that yassar arafat also won the nobel “peace” prize?..

You need to get your facts straight. First of all, Arafat got 1/3 of the prize along with Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin. Secondly, presenting sh*t like this is the same kind of crap Rush does, i.e., tries to mislead and/or distort things.

Can you quantify the genius(cough!) of his embargo? NO?
I can