OK, any bets on how much?

:slight_smile:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Tue Jan 17, 4:23 PM ET

NEW YORK - John Lennon’s original draft of the lyrics to the Beatles’ classic “A Day in the Life” went on sale Tuesday, the 39th anniversary of the date Lennon was inspired to compose the song after reading his morning newspaper.

The manuscript will be sold in a sealed-bid auction ending March 7, Bonhams auction house announced. The British auctioneer, with offices in New York and the West Coast, didn’t identify the seller.

The song, which begins “I read the news today, oh boy,” was inspired by the Daily Mail of Jan. 17, 1967, which included a story about the death of Tara Browne, heir to the Guinness fortune and a friend of the Beatles.

It was recorded for the Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” album later that year, and is considered one of Lennon and Paul McCartney’s groundbreaking works of pop music.

The single sheet of handwritten lyrics includes the first two complete drafts of Lennon’s contribution to the song.

It was last sold by the estate of Beatles road manager Mal Evans for $100,000 at Sotheby’s in London in 1992, and is now being sold by the collector’s family.

Let’s see… you can buy 500 sheets of paper for about $5… so about a penny a sheet. The ink probably comes out to another penny if he wrote a lot. It is a single sheet of paper… so…

About $350,000.00

I love the Beatles, but it is a sheet of paper people… and John, although talented, was just another Bozo on the bus. I’m sure some one who idolized him will pay some phenomenal amount of money. An amount equal to the gross national product of some third world countries.

Sorry, feeling a bit grumpy today…

:(

Don’t apologize Doc. I also think people make way too big a deal outta crap like this. For what some moron is willing to pay for that piece of paper, he/she could build several houses for people whose homes were destroyed by hurricanes this year. And for what? So they can stick it in a safe deposit box and just KNOW they have it? I don’t get it at all…

D - not grumpy… :)

My precious…

once someone…‘tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti…sluuurrrrrrp.’
h. lectar

my guess = $310,000

cliff
:cool:

I’d pay up to about $100 for that - that’s the limit of what I would be comfortable spending for something like this. Other people with a heck of a lot more cash than I have are willing to spend a heck of a lot more money, obviously. It’s a matter of scale, I suppose: to the uber-rich, $310,000 could be the same as $100 is to me.

i don’t have it, ha ha ha ha
…i just think someone will pay that much for it.

cliff

i am one of lennon’s biggest fans…

Quote (John @ Jan. 19 2006,07:47)
I'd pay up to about $100 for that - that's the limit of what I would be comfortable spending for something like this. Other people with a heck of a lot more cash than I have are willing to spend a heck of a lot more money, obviously. It's a matter of scale, I suppose: to the uber-rich, $310,000 could be the same as $100 is to me.

Yep. It's a relative thing. If you are driving down the road at 70 mph and miss hitting a parked truck by >| |< that length... D@#N that's not much! But if your nose grew that much... :D

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

It was recorded for the Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” album later that year, and is considered one of Lennon and Paul McCartney’s groundbreaking works of pop music.

I am a huge Beatles & John Lennon fan but this statement was indeed funny & absurd. I think “A Day in the Life” were two unfinished/short pieces by Lennon & McCartney that they wanted to include on the record but couldn’t figure out how to do it. It took Sir Martin to figure out, and he said to the lads "We’ll just string them together with a big crescendo and everyone will say “Wowww”.

Having said that, I still like the song but “A Day in the Life” ground-breaking - NO. Even the Beatles realized that & put it as the last song on the LP.
Quote (Mr Soul @ Jan. 19 2006,12:43)
Having said that, I still like the song but "A Day in the Life" ground-breaking - NO. Even the Beatles realized that & put it as the last song on the LP.

Maybe in retrospect, once we've seen behind the curtain, it loses a b it of it's magic when we find that it was two unrelated songs thrown together with a couple of orhestral build-ups... However, at the time there was nothing else like it - The song had a huge range of sounds, and seemed prolific. Lennon's lyrics did have meaning, and McCartney's contrasting lyrics made for a nice bridge that wasn't too thematically divergant. "A Day in the Life" indeed - Read the paper and then went off to work.
:)

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’d love to turn you on

Actually I’ve always wanted to do a Lennon t-shirt with the above quote & the psychedelic picture of him (the yellow & red one).

Have you seen the studio pictures with the alarm clock that they used on A Day in the Life? It was in some Beatles book I saw.

BTW - that new Beatles book looks interesting. I heard an interview with the author on NPR (that famous liberal radio station) about when they went to get Ringo to join the band.

It you haven’t seen the movie “Backbeat”, it’s a must see.

Its funny…I know a couple of people who grew up in Liverpool and actually knew “the boys” as they call them. One is my daughters Scottish mother-in-law who was a waitress in a cafeteria they frequented. She thinks they were “ruffians”. The other friend always went to the Cavern and watched them. Both think it was ‘no big deal’.

are you kidding me , sheesh…

cliff

If you’ve never read this, buy it right now! That’s an order! :;):

A Hard Days Write

This is my favorite Beatles book - it tells the background and inspiration for every single Beatles song. It’s really amazing how mundane some of their inspirations actaully were.
Some examples:

“Fixing a Hole” - was written by Paul as he was fixing up his country cottage with Linda - fixing holes, painting rooms and such… he also makes reference to the home being a refuge from his throngs of relentless screaming fans.

“Strawberry Fields” - name of a boys home close to where John grew up.

“Savoy Tuffle” - it’s about a box of chocolates.

“Helter Skelter” - I think they said this was about a slide in children’s playground:
"When I get to the bottom,
I go back to the top of the slide,
then I stop and I turn and I go for a ride,
then I get to the bottom and I see you again."

Excellent book… Great bathroom reading!

-John

How could Paul have contributed to A Day in The Life?

He died in '64, everybody knows that! And everything he wrote afterwards proves it. ???

Denny Laine from his October 2001 interview in NME.

<!–QuoteBegin>

…So I was at this party in Greenwich with Bobbie Dylan, and I asked him about his famous “I fooled a generation” comment. His reply was; "Yeah man, but I never fooled them good as you guys."

And he was right of course. With the Beatles, even after Paul died and was replaced by the ringer, they still had a lot of talent right there in the band, but Wings were a fake from start to finish…

…We had a lot of the real Paul’s old material, so me and some other writers just tarted it up to make it more up to date. We even had a couple of the guys who used to write stuff for the Monkees do parts…

“Paul” couldn’t sing a note, but he could fake it on bass a bit. But that didn’t matter, Linda couldn’t play keyboards or sing either. So we mimed it all. Even I lip-synced so that it would sound the same.

The albums were no problem, you wouldn’t believe how many singers there are who can sound like Paul McCartney…

But that Linda chick was a fake from start to finish. Heiress of the Kodak Eastman empire? Don’t make me laugh. Linda Epstein was her real name, a New York JAP with a big eye on the big bucks…

Jane Asher from her autobiography:

<!–QuoteBegin>
…I’ve heard people say that it was Brian who was behind it all; that the cover-up was all his idea, but that’s rubbish. The poor man was as shattered by Paul’s death as the rest of us, he couldn’t stop crying and saying “my boys, my boys, what’s going to happen to my boys now?” But it was John he was thinking about. Brian always had a thing about John…

The one’s who arranged it were strangers to us all. Even Mal (Evans) who knew everybody and everything didn’t know who they were. But they persuaded us all. I didn’t think it would work, but it did…

Mal Evans (Beatles chief Road Manager and personal friend) from 1998 interview on the BBC TV programme 24 Hours.

<!–QuoteBegin>
“Listen, it don’t matter do it? The bloke who first started playing with John back in the 50’s was called Paul McCartney. The bloke who was with them when they broke up had the legal name of Paul McCartney. Paul McCartney wrote the songs, Paul McCartney is Paul McCartney, so just leave it yeah? It really don’t matter anymore. It’s all history now innit? And history is what you say it is.”

Paul is dead… turn me on, dead man.
???

Quote (Ali_G @ Jan. 20 2006,13:34)
How could Paul have contributed to A Day in The Life?

He died in '64, everybody knows that! And everything he wrote afterwards proves it. ???

"Someone's knocking at the door,
Somebody's ringing the bell.
Someone's knocking at the door,
Somebody's ringing the bell.
Do me a favor -
open the door and let 'em in."

"Ebony and ivory live together in perfect hakjnaj0j98vnsd...... AARRGGHHHHH 'm strangling myself!8zdhj j9qquy8uioj

Flamesuit ON - I liked Wings better than Beatles. :O

D – sisted twister… and slysdexic!

Nice link John. :)

But I was only joking! :)

But, hmmm…

Denny Laine I remember from when he was front man with the Moody Blues, and what he says about Linda McCartney is certainly true, but the rest of it?

Jane Asher. Now, there’s a good argument for there being a switch. How else can you explain Paul dumping a fox like her for Linda! LOL

Is the Mal Evans quote real? Is any of it? Do I actually care?

Anyway, it can’t be true. The Queen would never knight a dead man. Not only is it unconstitutional, but it’d be awfully messy.

There again, if you look at Sir Paul these days, he certainly does look the product of a very poor attempt at mummification. And there’s still that Mull of Kintyre song; would a living breathing human being really produce anything that awful?

Hmmm, perhaps he died and then came back to life, (after all, it’s been done before), or perhaps he never really existed in the first place. Now there’s a thought! The whole of the 60’s was merely an acid induced false memory! (Wouldn’t be the first time. :( ) :D