Ok, now the President has lost me...

“People are interested to know why I picked Harriet Miers,” Bush told reporters at the White House. “Part of Harriet Miers’ life is her religion.”

Yikes.

Not the “R” word again! run hide…

Bush said that Miers was consistently ranked as one of the top 50 lawyers in the US on the Today show (yesterday). In fact, Miers was named one of the Top 50 Most Influential Lawyers by the National Law Journal once in 1998 (7 years ago). So he’s either lying or he doesn’t have a clue what he’s saying, or both.

The simple fact is that Bush appointed her because she’s a conservative, evangelical Christian & has no judicial record. It’s pissed off some convervatives who don’t care about her religion because they want a proven conservative.

But make no mistake, Miers will be as conservative as they come.

Clark - you are kidding about being surprised about this - right?

<!–QuoteBegin>

The simple fact is that Bush appointed her because she’s a conservative, evangelical Christian & has no judicial record.

And she served him for years.
Quote (TomS @ Oct. 12 2005,12:41)
The simple fact is that Bush appointed her because she's a conservative, evangelical Christian & has no judicial record.

And she served him for years.
and I would rather have heard that as the reason he picked her, honestly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9673338/

There you have it.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Some of Bush’s conservative critics say Miers has no judicial record that proves she will strictly interpret the Constitution and not — as Busy says — “legislate from the bench.” They argue that Bush passed up other more qualified candidates to nominate someone from his inner circle.

Well, DUH!!! Where have they been for the last few years. This is business as usual that they have been a part of for a while.

Anyone want to speculate that the recent public decent from some conservatives is now public because Delay is out of the picture, and could be for good, and they no longer fear reprisals from the far far right?

And PART of Harriet Miers’ life is her religion. Not all but part. Not that I’m really for or against but I think it’s a bit of over reaction…

Come on Clark, I know you voted for Bush but you’re smart enough to see through Bush. Publically, Bush is saying all the right things but it’s easy to see his real motivations.

Franken just did an interview with Catherine Crier, a conservative judge, who’s written a book called “Contempt: How the Right Is Wronging American Justice”. This woman has it completely right. These f*ckers are going to destroy our system, and if people can’t see what they’re doing, then we deserve to have our system destroyed.

<!–QuoteBegin>

America’s federal courts have an enormous impact on the daily lives of Americans. They also make up the last relatively independent branch of government. But, there is a committed and well-organized confederation of ultra-conservative politicians, reactionary interest groups, and fundamentalist religious sects working to change that once and for all. And they are succeeding.

How?

They have a plan. They have money. And they have millions of “believers.”

A majority of Americans strongly oppose the dogmatic agenda of this extreme right-wing onslaught, but that majority has remained silent.

Someday, you and your family may wake up in a very different country, a country re-made in their intolerant image, a nation governed by their inflexible laws.

This crap about activist judges and “legislating from the bench” is all BS & double-speake/distraction. Rehinquist had one of the most activist courts in history. And this BS that they spread about strict constructionists is also BS. Crier discusses all this in her talk (and book). The fact is that Delay et al. are trying to change the end result of the courts, because they don’t like it. A perfect example was the Schiavo case. Look at what Delay did after he lost - he started smearing judges.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Anyone want to speculate that the recent public decent from some conservatives is now public because Delay is out of the picture, and could be for good, and they no longer fear reprisals from the far far right?

No doubt; they have been internally divided all along. Think about the treatment of colin Powell - Cheney and Rummy et al really did not like him, and sought to purge the admin of repubs with those values. As long as Bush’ numbers were good there would be no reason to let the conflict out in the open. But now with his numbers going south, and not likely to come up again, and with DeLay and Frist esp. running into problems, and let’s not forget Rove and Scooter and possibly Cheney, well, now the cracks will widen.

At least that’s what it looks like to me.

:)
Quote (SOULTOKER @ Oct. 12 2005,14:00)
And PART of Harriet Miers’ life is her religion. Not all but part. Not that I'm really for or against but I think it's a bit of over reaction.........

One thing that is clear is that the selling points have changed a bit, in response to the criticism from the base.

Come on Clark, I know you voted for Bush but you’re smart enough to see through Bush AND Franken just did an interview with Catherine Crier .
Mr. Soul

You ask if Clark is smart enough to see through Bush? and YOU mention Franken as if he was a reliable talking head?????
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Bob…that’s Mr. Soul. We expect this from him. :)

Hey Bob - do you listen to Franken? Probably not. Have you heard Catherine Crier speak? Probably not. Even if you don’t think Franken is intelligent, you might think that she is.

I don’t make claims about people or views unless I’m pretty confident that I know what I’m talking about (however I do make mistakes from time to time :slight_smile:

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 12 2005,17:05)
I don't make claims about people or views unless I'm pretty confident that I know what I'm talking about (however I do make mistakes from time to time :-)

D*mn, my left eye just fell out....
Quote (teryeah @ Oct. 12 2005,17:20)
D*mn, my left eye just fell out....

BAWAHAHAHAHA!! :D :D

TG

Quote (clark_griswold @ Oct. 12 2005,12:07)
?People are interested to know why I picked Harriet Miers,? Bush told reporters at the White House. ?Part of Harriet Miers? life is her religion.?

Yikes.

You know what the real significance of this is? Now that the religious qualification is on the table, it has become a legitimate topic for questioning during the senate hearings. Bush really blew it this time. Making it explicit that this was something he thought about now opens up the topic for questioning.

Bush must be kicking himself right now. Just watch what happens in the hearings, Dems (and some repubs) are going to give her ####.

Bush has really blown it in general - have you seen the latest poll?

Latest Pole? Tony Stewart? Ryan Newman? :D

Hey Bob - do you listen to Franken? Probably not. Have you heard Catherine Crier speak? Mr. Soul

Yes I have heard Franken and have had enough of his idiocy and yes, I have heard Crier also and have heard her opinions and they are just that…opinions, not rulings. I don’t give a #### about polls…who do they poll anyway? The majority of polls are conducted during the DAY! Thats when most adults work and are not home…and in general, the ones that are home during the day, obviously are not working during that time period and many are on some sort of Fed or State assistance waiting for that check. If you live your life by polls or form your opinion by polls and consider yourself informed because of them good luck, because you obviously don’t have much upstairs. When I vote someone into office it is because I expect them to do what is right and appropriate for the situation, not because polls tell them what to do.

As for going to war to disarm Hussain and not finding those WMD’s, well do your homework. Both Clinton and Kerry and a score of other Libs believed Hussain had them and publically voiced those opinions(and it is public record) and believed he was dangerous enough that he should be stopped. But once Bush declared that it was time to go in and do something about it, oh well!!! lets not rush into things! One more thing about polls…John F. Kennedy, the sacred cow of the Dems, was at his lowest point in the polls when he was assassinated. Yet he believed in lower taxes and smaller gov’t. ####, hahahahaaa!!, he would have been a Republican if he had been alive today.

That said, am I happy with the Republicans? Not entirely. Would it be better if Dems were in office? Not on your life. When was the last time and what was the last issue they had a solution for, that actually made sense?? They offer nothing for solutions except criticism. I take great offense when Libs tell me I am against the poor, or want children to starve and suffer or that I am forcing the elderly to eat dog or cat food because I do not vote for Dems. I would NEVER vote for a party that espouses ridiculous lies like that. This is the last response I will give on this subject.