Old mono track from 2001...posting for boredom.

Its not my best piece, and very lo-fi compared to what I’m doing now, but I went thru some old files and heard this after a few years…wanted to share. I made it with a 1-track compaq wavemaker (that is supposed to be used for taking voice notes and such) and a computer mic. Total outboard gear=$17. My pre-Ntrack days. Guess thats why I’m proud of it. Its primitive. Its the last song at the bottom of the page, called “Asleep”. Hope some of you like it.

http://www.fatmember.com/music/bands/53/

Quote (silvermachina @ Feb. 14 2005,21:29)
Its not my best piece, and very lo-fi compared to what I'm doing now, but I went thru some old files and heard this after a few years...wanted to share. I made it with a 1-track compaq wavemaker (that is supposed to be used for taking voice notes and such) and a computer mic. Total outboard gear=$17. My pre-Ntrack days. Guess thats why I'm proud of it. Its primitive. Its the last song at the bottom of the page, called "Asleep". Hope some of you like it.

http://www.fatmember.com/music/bands/53/

Hey...listened too Asleep and Tron...

You've definatley got an ear for a tune. Liked some of the vocal hooks, reminded me a bit of a mellow electronic Placebo, probably cause you sound a bit like the lead singer (to me anyway!). I dont like electronica though...not really my bag. Youre certainly good at what you do though.

listened to a bunch of your music today… i like it… i like it aloht!

your genre: “guitar driven electroni-pop” :O

reminds me of adore-era smashing pumpkins…especially “a satisfied man”. i’m gonna listen later at home on the hi-fi speakers for sure. would like to hear higher than 128kbps tho :wink:

i really dig the spacey sounding guitars!! most of those done with the gt-5?

Sorry for the slow response. Thanks for the positive comments. I will try to put up more hi-fi versions of the songs later today. Yeah, for the most part the guitar stuff is done on the GT-5, running into a presonus tube preamp, then into a presonus firebox interface.

Quote (dimmer77 @ Mar. 14 2005,14:51)
listened to a bunch of your music today... i like it... i like it aloht!

your genre: "guitar driven electroni-pop" :O

reminds me of adore-era smashing pumpkins...especially "a satisfied man". i'm gonna listen later at home on the hi-fi speakers for sure. would like to hear higher than 128kbps tho ;)

i really dig the spacey sounding guitars!! most of those done with the gt-5?

Oh yeah...and I just noticed the comment about "a satisfied man" sounding like adore era pumpkins.

We actually used the same 2" tape and neve console (not one like it...the same actual console at the Los Angeles Recording Workshop) that the pumpkins used on adore for the first EP we did, which makes perfect sense of your comment, heh. Just thought I'd mention that since you noticed the similarities. Take care.

Chris

I liked “Satisfied Man”, although I would have said it sounds very Rush-esque. The smooth guitars are reminiscent of Alex Lifeson. (IMO).

Liked it, although I’d like to hear more drums, it seems like the guitars seem to push the drum line into the background.

Well played though!!

Thanks.

.-=gp=-.

Yeah the first EP I did with a friend of mine on some very expensive gear we had never or will never get to use again sadly (unless I win the lottery)…a 2" tape machine and the infamous neve console at Los Angeles Recording Workshop (approximately $60,000 setup). We tracked in ProTools ducks the punches then transferred to tape. We had some compression and tape hiss problems that cut the drum loops out lower than we expected and since we were pressed for time we just let it slide the way it is. “Tron” is the best of the bunch that we recorded on the 2" tape, we put alot more time into that one since it was the lead track…the others seem to be a bit over the top on the guitars and the drums are laying kinda low…but live and learn. The EP2 tracks and all the other misc. stuff was done in nTrack. Thanks for the comments.

Chris

2" tape machine and the infamous neve console

*Drools on the keyboard*

Niiiice! I just saw an Otari 1" 16 Track deck on E-Bay going for $800 - Although there were still 5 days to go, so I'd hate to think how high it will go.

I was sorely tempted, but unfortunately, ungrateful kid needs braces first! She seems to think I'm paying all this money for the priviledge of torturing her, by straightening her teeth.

If she looses her teeth through neglect, she's buying me the tape deck!

I'll listen more after *(#&$*# meetings...

Thanks again.

.-=gp=-.

too cool, man. was there a “band” when you were in the studio? or just you and this other person?

so how bout those hi-fi’s? :O

Quote (dimmer77 @ Mar. 29 2005,11:23)
too cool, man. was there a "band" when you were in the studio? or just you and this other person?

so how bout those hi-fi's? :O

I played or programmed most everything, and a friend of mine did most of the production work. He played a few ebow trills here and there too. 2 man operation.

As far as the hifi sounds go...when I get some time basicly. Just moved into a new place and I lost my job last week (funny how that works out), so I'm busy taking care of alot of cleaning and unpacking and job searching for the next few days. Bah.

I'll try to get those up soon though.