Old old reverb effect anyone?

Hi all…long time…

I wonder could anyone identify the reverb used in really old jazz/blues recordings akin to Ella Fitzgerald or the Ink Spots in the 30s or 40s?
Maybe the 50s even…

I’m looking to ‘oldify’ a song and make it sound really old. It has an old time authentic blues feel. I was even thinking of adding the record scratches…
Think Leon Redbone type of stuff but authentic and ‘back in the day’.

Can any of you guys help?

Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig. I bet Bill and TomS will have you sorted.
I’m ‘oldifying’ an old jazz track but have approached
the acoustics from the other end with software.
Are you thinking of buying an old reverb unit?
I think Hammond had something to do with the invention
of ‘reverb’ with springs. Just having a Google around
for some of the myths I’ve heared of ginormous tanks
of oil with inch thick reverberation plates.

Well, what you’re probably going to need is a bigish empty room, preferably deep underground, some plaster and shellac, a good speaker, and a nice Neumann microphone, and a looooong cable…a lot of those recordings used actual ambient spaces. Most famous: look around for info on the Les Paul designed echo chamber at Capitol records. I wonder if there is an impulse from it? Probably not…

Short of an echo chamber, a plate is the way to go, absolutely. One of my bands eons ago recorded with one of those, and it beat the pants off of anything, including convolution, no surprise. I’ve toyed with the idea of building one, and actually made a small, crappy one for the fun of it, and it worked, but did not have the magic that a real one does. Tapeop had an article a few years ago on building one. did not look too hard. Just need the space.

I’ve an empty room in the basement that I’ve considered transforming too, but that’s a little bit over the top for a weekend warrior…but my wife said it’d be cool!!! :agree:

Hi Gents:

There sure is a reverb that’ll knock your socks off… I know you have it, spreadercraig… If you don’t get the S.I.R. VST Plug in…
Then you’ll need to get the EMT Plate Sample(s)…
There are many other samples but The S.I.R plug needs to be had…
You’ll have fun discovering what’s out there, for some reverb for your project…
The latest Free version of S.I.R. is v1.0.10
or something… If you are unable to find it I have it hanging around, on a drive, somewhere…

Hey, I have a Fisher Stereo Reverb with the real Hammond Two Spring Tank outta the late ‘60’s that I want to set up in the Studio… I wish I just had the time to play with all these toys I have…
Maybe, one day… :)
:p

There’s a UK site around where all the top Reverb guys hang out…
I got the link somewhere on a drive…
I used to hang out there, for the longest while… I was into making samples…
I have a set of mono samples that work pretty good on 12’ Grand Pianos so someone in Europe tells me
:)
:laugh:
I just don’t have a 12’ Grand to play with them…
Anyway, if you can’t find the latest S.I.R. Free plug post back here again…

Bill…

[edit] TomS… You’re man after my heart… Do you remember those old double bed “slat spring” bed frames ?? Well that’s what is used (as the frame) to build the plate for the plate reverb… a sheet of 304 stainless steel… Carry-on from there… Yea, need tube amps, in-and-out… And take-it from there… AKG made a nice “Spring Tank” back in the '70’s…

They don’t make that stuff anymore…

bed frames? cool!

Bill, here are the instructions from tapeop - they want us to weld the frame together. I don’t know how to weld!!!

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/how_to_build_your_own_plate_reverb/

Thanks guys!

Bill…is this the one?
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/download.asp?ID=62

I’m looking for the type of reverb in a vst…the tracks are already recorded…

Craig

Craig, you mean you have not been using convolution? Go get the free version of SIR. Then lots of impulses here:

http://noisevault.com/nv/

remember that SIR needs stereo in for stereo effect. Also, n-Track automatically compensates for latency. Easy as pie.

Here’s the proper link for SIR:

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index.html

Quote: (TomS @ Sep. 22 2010, 5:23 PM)

Craig, you mean you have not been using convolution?

To be honest the songs been recorded in a pro studio. Its a freebie for charity so the engineer has asked me to go research which reverb to use to get the particular sound needed.

Its one of my songs done by someone else....so I didn't get to arrange or do any planning.

We just heard the song and thought....hhmmm this is what it needs.

I'm asking too because I'm probably mixing it myself in N.

Yes…
You’re doing fine…
You know, you can get swept up in this reverb, thing…
I did,
It don’t hurt at all…
If you go up on that old page I have you’ll find the Impulse Samples I made at a church that Leonard and I recorded
a Folk Choir way back when…
There should be a half dozen (or so) Samples there… Remember, you’ll get what that Church Room Volume sounded like…
What a beautiful sounding Room that Church is…
Remember, they are mono samples…
BUT, n-Track is able to reproduce the convolutions in stereo…

Something else to consider with this Reverb Thing…
Yea really don’t want to touch the fundamental frequencies very much, well, SoMe… It’s like painting a picture…
Try not to use too much paint… Use a Dry Brush…
Try to concentrate on the second-and-third harmonics of the instruments(s) of your tracks, including the vocal tracks…
and work on the delay times of the individual tracks…
Working on those aspects will create depth in your audio image…
Well…
Just something to consider as you play with S.I.R…

Just talking about this Reverb brings back a truck load of memories…
:agree:
:)

Bill…

{edit}
Thanks for that link TomS…
Yea know, I never paid much attention to that ProSound Project, till just now… There have been much TO-DO about these plates, over the years… The CBC here in Halifax had one way back in the '60’s… It was in the basement of the TV Building…
They used it on us when we got work from them in TV and Radio and Films… They had several buildings in and around the city… They piped it through the telephone wires and through their patch bays from building-to-building…

There sure are some clever minds Out-and-About…
This Internet is beautiful…
Where was it IT…
40 years ago…
?
I don’t know whatever happened to it…
Could be in the landfill site…

spreadercraig…
I’d be interested is hearing how you use this stuff on your tracks when you get going…
Get those EMT Plate Samples…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Sep. 23 2010, 5:32 AM)

Something else to consider with this Reverb Thing..
Yea really don't want to touch the fundamental frequencies very much, well, SoMe.. It's like painting a picture..
Try not to use too much paint.. Use a Dry Brush..
Try to concentrate on the second-and-third harmonics of the instruments(s) of your tracks, including the vocal tracks..
and work on the delay times of the individual tracks..
Working on those aspects will create depth in your audio image..
Well...
Just something to consider as you play with S.I.R..

Bill..

Hi Again:

That's not entirely true..
BUT..
spreading it on too thick could very well be..
in some cases..
AND..
you'll know when enough is enough..

Bill..

Craig, SIR works exactly the same in n as it does in Pro Tools or Cubase or Logic or Reaper or whatever. :agree:

:agree: