Old version of n-track on Vista?

Help with DirectX

New to the forum, but I’ve been using n-Track for years. As a matter of fact, I’ve been running v3.3 on a Windows 98 machine (don’t laugh!). It’s done everything I need it to do, so I’ve never changed.

Finally the 98 machine is giving up the ghost, so I’ve installed my 3.3 on a Vista machine. It installed properly. And I had to go through a few hoops to get my DirectX plug-ins registered, but they’re there, and n-Track sees them. But when I try to use ANY directX stuff (including some that were already installed on Vista) n-Track gives me a message “Renderer Filter Instantiation Failed”.

What in the world does that mean? Is v3.3 too old to run on Vista? I assume that’s probably the answer, but everything else about n-Track seems to run fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Brian

you might got it, 3.3 was 2003, and Vista was not released until 2007…

I know 64 bit was not supported until version 4,2,1, and vista can run at 64bit? 4.2 has the Direct X 64bit pluggin support.

don’t know if that is of any help…computer tech is not my area of expertise (not saying I have one but this certainly is not one for me)… ???

if I had to guess to make the older app and plugs work maybe set Vista to run at 32bit?

dontcare

Well, I had a really quick go on my Vista laptop. Downloaded v3.3 (seemed like and old friend), recorded a couple of tracks and added and effect. I don’t have any Dx effects installed on the laptop so I tried some of the n-track effects (I’m pretty sure they are Dx effects in that version). In my (albeit short) test everything seemed to work fine.

Not sure if this helps at all??

Quote: (Mark A @ Mar. 09 2011, 1:00 PM)

Well, I had a really quick go on my Vista laptop.
Downloaded v3.3 (seemed like and old friend), recorded a couple of tracks and added and effect.
I don't have any Dx effects installed on the laptop so I tried some of the n-track effects (I'm pretty sure they are Dx effects in that version).
In my (albeit short) test everything seemed to work fine.

Not sure if this helps at all??

So when you installed 3.3 on Vista, it automatically installed the n-track effects (n-track reverb, chorus, etc...)? Mine didn't install any of them, I registered them manually.

Perhaps I should uninstall 3.3, remove the DirectX stuff and start again?

I'll probably end up upgrading to the newest n-track anyway, but now I'm wondering if the problem might be DirectX-related....hmmm....

I didn’t do anything special - just installed n-track from the installer and then ran it.

I think a re-install might be in order.

Mark A, thanks for your help. Complete uninstall/reinstall and all seems good. EXCEPT (there’s always and except) I seem to be having problems registering my FASoft Compressor v1.1. It shows up in the effects list, but when I access it, I get a message about not registering (sorry, I’m at work right now, don’t have the exact message) and the audio on channels using the compressor cuts out every 10 seconds.

This seems to me like the compressor is running in demo mode, but it was so long ago that I originally installed it, I can’t remember if there was a reg code, and where/how I would input the code.

Follow up question - I know the newer versions of n-track have the compressor standard. If I install the newest version of N, will my old songs find and use the now-standard compressor, or will I have to manually change the effect from the old FASoft compressor to the new N-standard compressor?

HEy

I think the compressor automatically registers itself now and has since v5 at least on my systems.
I haven’t opened up any old files that had the compressor on it, but my guess is if you had the old compressor on a track it will still be on it when you re-open the project, the new Multi-Band compressor is VST, wereas the old one is under DX in my list (on version 5) so you would have to manually switch those.

dontcare