OMFG!!!!

I have just figured out (this morning, even!) why the timings seem to go off on some of my songs. For YEARS, if the track had a little background noise in it, I would drop Blueline Gate on it to keep noise out of my songs, and evidently the gate plugin renders slowly or something, so that the track is a fraction of a second behind where it originally was, especially on my vocal tracks. So now, when I use it, I use the little move tool, and edge the track over slightly so it’s back in time…

Jeez, Louise, and I thought everyone was just being overly picky about my horrible singing

:laugh:

Well, ain’t that just a horrible thing to discover, and yet, something one would definitely like to know? Now you gotta go back and remix a whole lot of stuff…

As I said several times… it ain’t the singing that is off time. So am I to understand you don’t listen to your mix downs?

Holy plop, Danny! How long has this been going on. I don’t know if I’d be relieved or ready to shoot my self.

(my wife’s mum, at the age of 60, discovered that she was actually 59 years and 360 days old)

Not to hijack the thread, but how did she figure that out, Tony?

I do listen to my mixdowns… but it’s hard to explain, lol! It’s almost like I don’t notice it until my voice is in it, and then I guess I’m so busy cringing at my own singing that I don’t notice the timing on other stuff. Since I usually don’t use the gate plug-in on instruments, it wouldn’t be the cause of an issue there…

Why do you use the gate on vocals anyway? that much hiss or background noise? You could always do it manually. I do wish there were newer a gate with all the features the BL gate has. I don’t know any others with ADSR controls. Are there any?

I don’t have the greatest mic, Tom, and my signal to noise ratio on my soundcard isn’t that hot either, so hiss becomes an issue, when I really have to boost the vocal volumes so they can be heard. I realize this could be fixed by buying a better soundcard and microphone, but that ain’t happening soon unless I win the lottery, lol!

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 14 2010, 3:56 PM)

Not to hijack the thread, but how did she figure that out, Tony?

she needed to apply for a copy of her birth certificate for her bus pass and found that she had never known her real birthday - crazy old chick;-)
Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Nov. 14 2010, 5:23 PM)

I don't have the greatest mic, Tom, and my signal to noise ratio on my soundcard isn't that hot either, so hiss becomes an issue, when I really have to boost the vocal volumes so they can be heard. I realize this could be fixed by buying a better soundcard and microphone, but that ain't happening soon unless I win the lottery, lol!

Sounds like you're pulling it together now, Danny. There's no perceptable hiss at my end. Sheeeesh! You can hear the fish tank pump, dogs barking, the TV.....and sod knows what in the back-ground of my doodles. It don't matter none. Art or craft?

On louder songs, Tony, it’s very hard to hear, but on acoustic melodies or songs that aren’t very busy in the background, it’s very obvious :frowning:

Boy…
That’s quite a discovery…
Can you post an A/B of a track that you’ve fixed ????

I’m looking for a FIX for this…
I want to move a “Cloned Track” a few samples…

If I clone a track, when doing an edit process on the track, in question, I find I’m unable to move the “Cloned Track” independently…
I used to be able to do that (move the newly Cloned Track) and not touch/move, the original track…

Why is that ????

I just hi-jacked another thread…
:) Sorry, dannyraymilligan

Bill…

Bill, I move cloned tracks all the time. Check and make sure the track isn’t locked, when you right click on the properties for it…

Thanks for the reply… When I get back to these projects I’m working on, I’ll be sure to check their properties… to see if that’s what’s happening…

I know in the past I could always move the cloned track with no issues like that… Thanks for the help…

Bill…

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Nov. 15 2010, 7:20 AM)

Bill, I move cloned tracks all the time. Check and make sure the track isn't locked, when you right click on the properties for it....

Yup. I've not got n-T running at the mo', but I think you can right click in the clone to un-lock it, too?

Hi TonyR and All:

Thanks for the replies and support…

It so busy here today…
I spent most of the day wondering how come I was unable to connect to the Internet…
Finally It started up and it’s quite stable for the moment…
I hope it continues…
I am gonna get a call from the Server’s tech people in the morning to check my phone line from the distribution block/panel at the end of the street to the terminal block in my basement to see if there may be a intermittent connection… We can only wait-and-see if there is an issue with the wiring…
However, I have no loss of signal on my phone line…
and it’s the same wire…
No one yet can explain why one minute I have an Internet then for no reason there appears to be No Connection to the server…
BUT…
now, all is fine…

What gives. ????

Anyway, I believe I heard a post of another song you
did…
with THE FIX…
I need to check your other threads…
I believe you got the issue resolved-and-mastered…

Bill…

Well, I dropped in a new soundcard today, a Soundblaster Live! 24-bit, which I gather is about bottom end for Creative Labs, lol! I noticed right off that my noise “floor” (the minimum level on the signal to noise ratio) dropped over 10 decibels. It used to be right at -56 db, but now it shows as -66, which augurs for a significant improvement in my vocal recordings
:)
I did, however, discover something about n-track which I didn’t previously know: I went in and changed my settings to record and playback at 24 bit (after all, I finally have a 24-bit soundcard) and was immediately presented with a notification that 24 bit recording and playback are a shareware feature…

sigh

Well, when I get my quad-core system put together, I’ll be upgrading to the newest release of n-track then, I’m just hoping that it will run 24 bit without wanting me to pay extra moolah on top of running in 64 Bit Windows…

I believe you’re gonna be just fine…
I hope-so…

I’ve had the 24-bit version sense back when Flavio first offered it…

Bill…