On location, last weekend.

First time out…

Last weekend I took the MOTU out for a spin and recorded a gig for a friend of mine.

Here’s the setup:

direct outs & insert outs from FOH mixer feeding 10 channels into-
MOTU 828 MKII
P4 3.0Ghz/1G-RAM/200G-SATA-HD (in mid-tower case)
WinXP-pro tweaked per MusicXP.net
n-Track 4.0.4 build 1811

recorded 10 tracks at a time @ 24bit, 44.1Khz.

I was going to use the WDM drivers, but when I opened the record VU meters, I only saw 4 instead of 10! No problem, I’ll just go to the select I/O channels and fix that, right? Nope. Only four channels listed there… ####… No time to fool around, the band is about to go on… So I switch to the ASIO driver, set the channels and hit record. I let it run for a full hour. :O (Jump all the way into the pool, I say!). When I hit the stop button, it took n-track a full five minutes to “recover” and allow me to save. I then opened a new n-Track project and hit record again; did this three times.

The result? Mostly OK. The MOTU sounds good. However every now and then there is a digital stutter actually recorded into the tracks, rendering the take useless for anything other than a reference for the band. Danm. The hiccups seem to start around 12 minutes or so, and are scattered randomly throughout the rest of the recording.

Has anyone been successful into recording 10-20 tracks into n-Track without any digital hiccups? How long did you let it run?

What the heck am I doing wrong?!? I’ve unchecked the system timer do-hicky, set the buffering to default (high or very high, whatever it is)… unistalled and re-installed both n-track and the MOTU driver a couple of times. Grrr…

So… Any success stories with n-Track and MOTU? Using a laptop?

:cool:

Did you have other processes running in the backgroud at the time? Specifically, virus scan or the like? That has caused me to have hiccups like that.

Not as far as I can tell… I have a dual-boot set-up, and the OS that i use for recording has been tweaked per winxp.net, and has never been on the net.

How random is it? It could be cause by simple OS housecleaning if the temp folder or swap file gets filled…something like that. I don’t know if these would be like clockwork or when some threshold gets hit. (random thoughts)

Regardless, look for things that might block the bus, like high priority hard drive access can do. Occasionally video and even audio cards can do it (think creative).

I’ve actually heard a rumor that SATA may be faster in bursts than IDE but that it blocks longer sometimes. I don’t know where I read that, but the first thing that came to mind was how it affects audio recording.

I recorded our whole live CD with the MOTU 896HD. I did 8 tracks, 44.1/24-bit for 3 one-hour sets. I didn’t get any hiccups, pops, wierd noises, etc. I think I used the WDM drivers.

Personally, I’d add another hard drive. One for the OS and apps and a separate one for audio streaming. Like phoo suggested, sometimes Winblows needs to do a little “housekeeping” on the OS hard disk. If you are streaming to that disk and it can’t be released before the buffers fill up… glitch city. Could be that is your culprit.

TG

Quote (Mr Soul @ April 26 2005,16:19)
I didn't get any hiccups, pops, wierd noises, etc. I think I used the WDM drivers.

See... I was going to use the WDM drivers... I might take it out again this weekend and stick to the WDM to see if that makes a difference. Were you on a laptop?
Quote (gtr4him @ April 26 2005,16:51)
Personally, I'd add another hard drive. One for the OS and apps and a separate one for audio streaming. Like phoo suggested, sometimes Winblows needs to do a little "housekeeping" on the OS hard disk. If you are streaming to that disk and it can't be released before the buffers fill up... glitch city. Could be that is your culprit.

TG

Ah... forgot to mention... I've already got two hard drives in the box:

1-80G-7200RPM for the system
2-200G-SATA for data

Does your computer have a wireless Ethernet port? If so, disable it – especially if where you’re recording does NOT have a wireless access point. A long shot, but one that caused me grief.

What a thought, Jeff. My laptop has wireless that I use all the time, but the microwave at home wreaks havoc with it. Anytime the microwave is use the connection barfs and the whole laptop freezes in spurts. If I’m on the internet the whole thing clams up until the microwave is done. It’s a royal pain.

Quote (John @ April 26 2005,13:27)
I opened the record VU meters, I only saw 4 instead of 10!

:D Nothing like a little "Shock Therapy". bummer! It's always good to fire up and record the input setup your going to go out to record with, before leaving the house! :D yada yada yada!

I've been doing some remote recording, I always stop recording after each song and save as. I've been having great results with M-Audio. It's intresting to hear you and MrSoal say you record for hrs at a time. Amazing! I would have been pretty ancy while the computer thought about delivering the huge wave file. Did you see how many megs they where? lol Good go'in! Thanks for shairing! :cool:
:blues: I ment; how many gigs they where! :D
Quote (Tom @ April 27 2005,01:16)
Quote (John @ April 26 2005,13:27)
I opened the record VU meters, I only saw 4 instead of 10!

:D Nothing like a little "Shock Therapy". bummer! It's always good to fire up and record the input setup your going to go out to record with, before leaving the house! :D yada yada yada!

Yep... I did that... n-Track has been doing that to me every now and then (losing track of MOTU's WDM inputs).

Jeff -- I don't have a wireless network card, and have disabled the onboard Ethernet port via Device Manager...

I use 2 MOTU 2408s to record 32 tracks into n-track every week, typically about one hour of recording time. I break the recording down into blocks of 15-20 minutes each. I have an AMD 2400, 1 gig memory, and a dedicated recording hard drive. I use the WDM drivers with n-track. I experience a digital glitch about once every ten hours of recording or so. I usually attribute the glitch to some process in the computer kicking off. I record with n-track v3.3 build 1516.

Quote (weekendtracker @ April 27 2005,09:31)
I use 2 MOTU 2408s to record 32 tracks into n-track every week, typically about one hour of recording time. I break the recording down into blocks of 15-20 minutes each. I have an AMD 2400, 1 gig memory, and a dedicated recording hard drive. I use the WDM drivers with n-track. I experience a digital glitch about once every ten hours of recording or so. I usually attribute the glitch to some process in the computer kicking off. I record with n-track v3.3 build 1516.

(John rushes off to get n-Track v3.3 build 1516) :D

Are you using a laptop? When you say "dedicated recording drive" do you mean that you have a dual-boot setup, or that you have an actual second phyiscal HD for storing data?

I'm hoping the WDM drivers will work better for me this weekend...

Danm… I thought that v3.3 was still available here for download… maybe I still have it at home… ???

I have 2 hard drives, one dedicated to receive the audio streams only. I’m using a mid tower unit rather than a laptop. I also record 24 bit 44.1 kHz. n-track V3.3 build 1516 is still available. Someone here can give you the link. I got it from Mark A. not long ago. At present, I found all builds of n-track 4 unusable with my set up.

See... I was going to use the WDM drivers... I might take it out again this weekend and stick to the WDM to see if that makes a difference. Were you on a laptop?
No - I was using my DAW (the recommended configuration on my website). I'd be concerned about using a laptop which generally don't have very fast disks (over 5400 RPM).

While I generally agree about the 2nd drive issue, I don't do that myself. I have 2 fast drives in a RAID-0 configuration and Windows & my audio on all on it. However, I do put my audio on a different logical drive which I format to 32K or 64K cluster size.

I also do these tweaks (in addition to others):

- Set Virtual Memory to a fixed size
- Turn off disk performance satistics
- Disable Paging Executive

Also, I personally would always use WDM over ASIO if given the choice. Hope this helps.
Quote (Mr Soul @ April 27 2005,11:44)
While I generally agree about the 2nd drive issue, I don't do that myself. I have 2 fast drives in a RAID-0 configuration and Windows & my audio on all on it. However, I do put my audio on a different logical drive which I format to 32K or 64K cluster size.

I also do these tweaks (in addition to others):

- Set Virtual Memory to a fixed size
- Turn off disk performance satistics
- Disable Paging Executive

Also, I personally would always use WDM over ASIO if given the choice. Hope this helps.

Hmm.. RAID... I think my MOBO has a controller built in, and I've got a spare 80G drive indentical to my current system drive that I could use. Might be worth a shot...

I'm pretty sure I've set the virtual memory, and turned off the statistics (per winxp.net), but I'm not familiar with "Disable Paging Executive" where is that option found?

Speaking of laptops; Hitachi makes a 7200RPM 2.5"HDD. I just ordered one... I'd like to not have to lug around a mini-tower and monitor unless I have to.

Thanks for your input.

:cool: