On the Heavy side...

awaiting real drum track :slight_smile:

Hey guys this ones a we bit on the heavy sideā€¦

Waiting for a real drum track from John Wooten, he da man!

The Day

keep shininā€™

jerm :cool:

Try again Jerm - no link for me.

I had to go make a pageā€¦sorry.

IT should be up nowā€¦again my deepest apologies.

Run it back to zero and try again Jerm - link is still not working - for me anyway.

Listening now Jerm, sounds great buddy!

erā€¦

this is the URL

http://jeremysdemo.tripod.com/index.htm

I had ā€œ'htmlā€ at first, which is probably why it didnā€™t work, that lilā€™ ā€œlā€ makes a huge difference!
:)

keep shininā€™

Hey I would do the count 1, 2 , 3, 4 like the megaphone voice at the end. Just a thought

Quote: (Yaz @ Jul. 04 2008, 4:53 PM)

Listening now Jerm, sounds great buddy!

Thanks for the kind words,

I thought it was low response on the high frequencies when I mixed the guitars but always seemed to do more damage than good messing around with the Ntrack EQ plug, so I left it as is.

I can't wait to get the drum track done so it has the more natural live band feel I do favor. :peace:

I worked on mixing this so long my ears are bleeding, I'm ready to hand it over to someone else, who hopefully knows what they are doing better and has more patience than me.

keep shinin'

Quote: (Yaz @ Jul. 04 2008, 4:56 PM)

Hey I would do the count 1, 2 , 3, 4 like the megaphone voice at the end. Just a thought

That's a great idea!

It would make the change to the acoustic more dramatic, I was originally going to put a heavy guitar there at the transition with the bass and snare to do just that, but thought that was over done in music these days.. those heavy extreme segues.

A little razamataz on the 1,2,3,4 might just serve the purpose without being overly predictable.

Keep shinin'

I Like the tune - vocals need some layering or more processing to fatten the up and make them as heavy as the track - they stand out a little too much over the track and itā€™s not all volume related - know what I mean? Love the processed vocal section.

Get the drums on it and mix till other body parts bleed!

:agree:

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jul. 04 2008, 5:16 PM)

I Like the tune - vocals need some layering or more processing to fatten the up and make them as heavy as the track - they stand out a little too much over the track and it's not all volume related - know what I mean? Love the processed vocal section.

Get the drums on it and mix till other body parts bleed!

:agree:

Thanks for the tip.

As far as processing what did you have in mind?

I don't even think I compressed them, if memory serves me correct.

IT seems the more I process the worse the mix gets, so I tried to keep it simple.
I did other mixes where I compressed the overall mix and vocals more, along with messing around with the EQ in some of them, but to no avail, and alas my patience ran out.

Maybe when I have more gump I will try and compress the vocal again and the other tracks so that it will sit better but without mixing in the drums first (since that is what got over compressed when I tried to do it before)

keep shinin'

What I was hearing Jerm was maybe a short delay using n-track tempo delay with maybe 10 - 15% feedback and play with the ā€˜wetā€™ sliders starting at zero 'till it sounds thickerā€¦ tempo delay is what I prefer over any reverb. After you get it where it sounds heavier you might compress it to fit where you might hear it belonging for your tastes. Donā€™t forget to play with the delay length etc on the bpm knob - try it at the same bpm as the song is - then play around from there - of course you can also do the left and right in dif bpm - wet - and dry to really put in some serious mix time. I think you can also draw in changes in tempo delay too if Iā€™m not mistaken under effects parameters envelopes. Great tool thatā€™s highly under-utilized, IMHO.

yep the need the drums.
the double-tracked vocals have an ian anderson feel.

as a fan of frequent over-processing, sticking a delay or slapback on them vox is something that i could get behind.
i like to use an effect called ā€˜retrodelayā€™.
donā€™t know a link right now.
itā€™s free, has several parameters that can create cool things with some tinkering.
wait, hereā€™s the link:
http://e-phonic.com/plugins/

Yeah, iā€™m agree with Poppa. The voice need some improvements. As i have experimented the voice itā€™s most difficult part to record and to mixā€¦ And the guitar mix is like stainedā€¦ itā€™s not clearā€¦ too bass.

good song, but far from PRO: 55%

I appreciate all the suggestions guys.

I did another mix this morning, hopefully my percentage of professionalism has gone up! :)

I donā€™t knowā€¦do professionals throw equipment across the room and slam their heads on the table? :laugh:

IT should be up in a fewā€¦

As I said in the OP I was not happy with the frequency response in the higher digits (dead) which yes results in a bassy mix.
Unfortunately bringing up the higher frequencies made a few of the guitar parts kinda bight the ear, so I will have to go back to earlier mixes and adjust those parts to be lower before I slap the compresserEQ in the full mix.

Poppa, I took your suggest and added a bit of echo on the vocal, also compressing the entire mix with the vocal which seems to have let it sit better (to my ears anyhow)
Oh, and one more thingā€¦I put the 1,2,3,4 at the end as suggested as well.

keep shininā€™

Hey Jerm,

Still canā€™t link to this. get on to the page but then get an error message and wonā€™t let me go back. Iā€™ll keep trying every now and then,
Cheers,
Ian

Sorry about that bruffie

This is the URL.

http://jeremysdemo.tripod.com/index.htm

Maybe copy it and put it into the browser?

What browser are you using if you donā€™t mind me asking I know different sites behave differently in Explorer.

I using Mozilla, and the page opens up ok.

If you do manage to get the page open it is the file labeled the daydrumreff.wma

Thank you for taking the time to try and listen, this one isnā€™t going on any of my stream sites and is only going to be up for a little while, the inner circle, since itā€™s going to be on the upcoming CD for God Thread, so once the drummer has slurped it itā€™s getting deleted.

I do hope you are able to get it before then. :agree:

You may have been trying while it was transferringā€¦I had to replace the old file this morning with the new mix.

keep shininā€™

Hi jerm:

Iā€™ve been busy on other things and not paying attention to song links that gets posted hereā€¦
ANDā€¦
I have a slow modem connection to the Internet, as wellā€¦
I read in an earlier post that you are waiting for Jon Wooten to post you some drum tracks for your projectā€¦

What a great drummer this guy isā€¦
ANDā€¦
he has the Musical Edge for the Tracks he makes for a lot of Music Styles/Flavorsā€¦

Billā€¦

Hi Jerm,

Using Firefox 3. Listening now. Guitars nice. I didnā€™t hear the 1st mix, but the voice sounds ok here. Not an easy song to sing. It would really be improved with some nice agressive drumming.
Good stuff!
Ian