One output pair at a time?

New crashing bug in V5

I hit a problem in V5 what almost stopped recording in its tracks last night. I found some very old tapes from the late 60’s and early 70’s and have been transferring them to digital. One of them just happened to be a 4 track.

Symptom: Select more than one input pair (2+ of 4 available) and n-Tracks will crash an burn. It’s that simple and it’s 100%.

I have an Echo Layla20 with the latest drivers.

I wasn’t stopped for transferring because I still have V4 installed. Recording in V4 went off without problems but these particular V4 songs would not play in V5 without MAJOR stuttering.

Cold reboots of all hardware and the computer did not fix the problem. Neither did resetting the config files in V5.

I have not reported this to Flavio, but will be later today. I should be able to get a crash dump and song file that won’t play in V5 (if that part repros today).

Anyone else hit this yet?

<!–QuoteBegin>

Anyone else hit this yet?

Honestly phoo? I’ve been getting so much stuff DONE in Reaper, that I haven’t given n a good shake down in a while. I was just at my old church the other night and V4 there is still working like a champ. We tracked 24 simultaneous channels at 24/44.1 smooth as glass. I almost upgraded them to V5 a while back. Glad I didn’t. :( I was scared to do it AND I could not get a hold of the guy who bought the V4 license, so I let it slide.

I’ll try to repro this when I get home and report back. Something is seriously screwy in V5 IMO.

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’ll try to repro this when I get home and report back. Something is seriously screwy in V5 IMO.

CONFIRMED. Selecting more than one ASIO pair results in CRASH-A-ROONIE! EMU 1820M n V5 latest build… :(

D

select 1 mono track per output - make sure the tracks are set to output to the correct channels -
i.e.
track 1 = output channel 1 (asio output 1 using Delta 4/10)
track 2 = output channel 2 (asio output 1 using Delta 4/10)
track 3 = output channel 3 (asio output 2 using Delta 4/10)
track 4 = output channel 4 (asio output 2 using Delta 4/10)

YOU must manually select the outputs to use (bottom right box in mixdown song prefs box) - N will crash is you try to mixdown 4 outputs with 10 outputs selected as there are no tracks to send to the other outputs -

this works, as i daily mixdown 80 tracks to 8 using this method

Dr J

Quote (Diogenes @ Nov. 24 2006,23:14)
<!–QuoteBegin>

CONFIRMED. Selecting more than one ASIO pair results in CRASH-A-ROONIE! EMU 1820M n V5 latest build… :(

D

Please send me the .dmp file that the program should generate when crashing. I was unable to reproduce the problem with the Emu 1820M Asio drivers. Perhaps is something related to the program’s configuration. Please try reverting to the default settings and also deleting all the files in the “Documents And Settings[Your user name]\Application Data
-Track Studio 5” folder.

Thanks for the feedback,

Flavio.

Well, the program said it was creating a dump file. I searched all my installed hard drives for .dmp and could not locate a “.dmp” file. What’s up with that? I’ll try the test again after dinner…

D

EDIT
Oh well… they’re not ready to leave for dinner. Big surprise there… Anyway, installed 2178, tried again, no crash. I’ll try to break it some more later.

PEACE OUT!

The .dmp file will be in C:\Documents and Settings[Your user name]\Local Settings\Temp as n-Track Studio.dmp or n-Track StudioX.dmp where X is a number. They can get pretty big. The last couple of mine were over 13 megs. That’s a bit large for emailing, so it’s better to post it or it zip it first. It zips to under 3 megs usually.

Hi phoo,

I checked there and upon finding nothing ran a search of all hard disks and I included hidden/system files in the search parameters. No file. Does the program ask for permission to create the dump file first? Maybe I inadvertantly clicked NO or CANCEL… ???

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Does the program ask for permission to create the dump file first? Maybe I inadvertantly clicked NO or CANCEL…

Yep, it does.

The error I am hitting is when selecting multiple inputs. It seems to be related to the names of the devices somehow getting corrupted or otherwise making a mess of things, which is sort of odd. Unfortunately, build 2178 doesn’t help. Flavio is working on it though…It’s nice to have such quick support.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Yep, it does.

AHA! Seems I am not just fat fingered on the geetar…

The last couple of times I have tried dup’in this bug, it has worked fine. The FIRST time I tried it after reading your initial post, it crashed. Weird.

D

Build 2179 fixes the problem I was hitting. WOOHOO!!!

Thanks, Flavio!