Orange Blossom Special

Guitar Version

I recorded this as a 3-piece band. This version of Orange Blossom Special was recorded by the Hellecasters. Our version is a cover of their arrangement. The guitar uses a delay to repeat each note played.

Jamie Johns - guitar
Lynn Brown from the Well Hungarians (St. Louis) - drums
Keith Reding (me) - bass

Two MXL 993 overhead stereo mics on the drums and a Shure beta 52 for the kick.

The tele guitar used a Fender Pro Jr. amp mic’d with a Shure beta 57.

The bass was run into a Samson tube preamp then straight into the recorder (Presonus Firepod).

N-track as the recording mixer. Not much effects except for a little reverb on the overhead drum mics and some compression.

Rather simple setup.

Here’s the link.

http://www.keithredingband.com/OrangeBlossomSpecial.mp3

This song is really fast so hold on! :D

Keith

This is one #3|| of a performance! Well, the guitarist blows a couple of notes here and there, but who cares as long as the track rocks at a blistering pace -great cover! :D

One suggestion: I noticed the guitar is rather dynamic, which is great, as it helps get a flow into the song, whereas the drums stays at excactly the same level througout the track. Try doing a mix where the drums follow the guitar level dynamics up and down - nothing excessive, a couple of dB goes a long way - but the musicians may sound that much more ‘together’ when mixed that way. Don’t touch the bass level, as it provides the ground of the track. Try also to do another mix where the drums compliment the guitar in level. (i.e. the guitar goes up in level - the drums go down)

Thanks to your compression on the drums, they are that much more manageable in level when it comes to mixing. I’d like to hear the result.

regards, and season’s greetings, Nils

Good suggetions. I’ll work on that and repost.

Keith

Hi Keith:
That cover song has lots of energy… With that kind of stuff in your play lists, it’ll keep you working as long as you decide you want to work… Do you guys have day-time jobs? or… Do you just work the Bars with your music?

Bill…

I play in a few different band and we all have day jobs.

I play trumpet and sing in a dance band, and I play bass and sing in a variety band where we do country, older R & B and classic rock. We mostly play bars but do private corporate parties also.

For a living, I have a Ph.D. in Microbiology and work for Monsanto in Regulatory Affairs (I get government approval for our agricultural biotech products).

The fancy guitar player on Orange Blossom Special paints window shutters for a living. The drummer plays drums full-time and is moving to Branson to play in one of the theathres.

I’d probably starve to death if I had to play music for a living.

On another note, whenever I login, I am still listed as guest. However, I am listed in the directory.

Regards,

Keith
http://www.keithredingband.com

:D

That’s a great post:
In the early days of my Bar Room Playing, I was a research technician at the Dalhousie University Chemistry Department… I manufactured equipment for the Masters and PHD students… When I look back over How-and-What I did back then, I have no idea where all that energy came from… This went on 7 days-a-week…

It was nice to get up in the morning knowing what you were gonna do, for that day… You didn’t have to think about it…

I think if you want to be a musician, Branson may be the place to look for work…

This playing for a living ain’t what it used to be… if you’re conscientious and serious about your work your as good as the last job you did… It’s a tough way to make a go of it…

Bill…