OT: ACID users: when is a loop not a loop?

…that is the question

I see there are several fellow Acid users on the forum (…err the software, of course…).

I recently bought Acid Pro v3 to investigate the whole looping thing, being an Ntrack user of about 4 years. Wow! Lovely bit of software - perfect compliment to N-track.

Anyway, whilst most of the time it works great, with a couple of loops I am getting weird stuff happening. Like I’ll click on a loop in the little preview pane i na project, and it will display the properties wrong -like “512bpm” when the loop is nothing insane like that. Also, the loop then plays back weird if I try and use it. This is with loops from a pro CD collection, by the way.

I understand that for Acid to use a loop, there is additional info encoded somehow in the .wav file (bpm, key etc).
How is this done?
Can you edit it?
So how do you make your own loops if Acid needs thsi stuff?
ta.

Eyup!

I’m not a loop expert, but it sounds to me as if the loops you mention are probably recorded in high resolution and maybe require converting to 44khz 16bit before Acid can use them.
Just a thought.

Steve

I’m an Acid user who is brand new to nTrack :D

The loops can be (but don’t need to be) acidized to work seemlessly in Acid. 3.0Pro (which is what I have) should have come with Sound Forge XP which can be used to set these properties if you know the BPM etc. There may be other way’s to set them via some tool or something but you can either acidize them with Sound Forge or just set the BPM once you add the track to the song.

You can make your own loops a number of ways but the easiest is with Sound Forge (XP version should be good enough), that has all the WAV editing tools and the ACID property settings all built in.

I’m interested in why you think they go together. I’ve had ACID for years and can work it quite well, at this point I’m not seeing what nTrack offers that is “extra”.

Tony

Quote (tonyoci @ Sep. 06 2005,10:30)
I'm interested in why you think they go together. I've had ACID for years and can work it quite well, at this point I'm not seeing what nTrack offers that is "extra".

Tony

Thanks for this. I didn't get Sound forge - I bought Acid realy cheap on ebay from an overseas reseller. Legit copy, but doesn't have Sound forge bundled with it.

Basically there are several approaches to creating music on a PC:

-recording audio
-midi, and recording via VSTis/synths etc to audio
-pure synthesis (eg Reason)
-arranging loops

High end packages do all of these really well, but if you are on a budget you will need different tools to accomplish different things. N-track handles audio recording, multi-tracking and mixing briliantly but as nevr done the looping thing. Acid is very much a 'loop sequencer' and is does it brilliantly, I'll be doing loads of drums and percussion with Acid from now on and thennimporting into N track to use in projects and later on it will be great for playing around with dance music.

But Ntrack does a whole bunch of things Acid doesn't - just check out the specs - automated volume evolutions & fades, for example.

Can you add an external VSTi to an aux in Acid (such as reverb) and send tracks to it or do you have to use the fx that come with Acid?

The latest versions of Acid can use VST and the 3.0 version cab use it with a wrapper. You can use DirectX plug in’s with Acid.

You can definitely do all the mixing in Acid - I am living proof. I suspect that since I’ve only used Acid at any length I don’t even understand what would be better about other packages, your comment about automated whatever made no sense to me cause I just don’t know what it means :D

I also own Audition and could never figure that out either, but in truth, I never really took the time.

I can’t quite figure out how I would use Acid for drums and nTrack for mixing. When using Acid I combine multiple drum parts and they are an integral part of the mix, it would seem that by the time I’ve figured out the mix for the drums I would have had to already mixed the whole song ?

I have version 4, does the latest record at higher resolutions than 44/16?

Also, not knowing about V5, the master mixer in N makes mixing a lot easier. But I think in the long run, it’s what you get used to that is the easiest.

>>Tonyoci, guess you didnt take me up on my offer for the round/square midi adapter…

I found Acid really good for loops and the ability to “paint” the sample on and also use the chopper to cut the part of the loop you want out and pitch shift and time stretch really good.

What I couldn’t work out how to do in Acid (that I can do easily in N) is the audio recording and then mixing side of things.

N is easy for me to mix different wavs, use VSTi’s, use groups and AUX’s, use automation envelopes for volume, panning and effects parameters, route outputs to different outputs on my soundcard etc.

I didn’t spend very long trying to do this is Acid, but couldn’t work it out very easily or intutitvely. It didn’t seem to be geared towards this type of workflow… It seemed more along the lines of "Import your loops and then mixdown"

As syn707 said it’s more what your used to. You can probably do all that stuff in Acid but I just couldn’t work it out easily.
Same with Tracktion and Sonar - I’ve tried them and found them less intuitive to laying down some track, editing them, mixing them and then mixdown.

But if I wanted to do any loop stuff (have only mucked around with them to write silly dance songs to piss friends off etc., but haven’t used any in any serious amount of time or effort) I would do it in Acid, then mixdown the looped stuff and then import it into N to mix with whatever else I wanted to mix it with (tracked audio or midi).

Rich

Sorry SYN I must have overlooked your offer, I think the USB M-Audio adapter offered me better flexibility anyway

Tony

i cut my teeth on Acid, Pro 2.0 then 3.0, i find it the best program out there for loop based work, it is by no means a full fledged multitracker, but it never was and never will be, but loops, heck yeah, my method, to make home made loops, is as follows.

1. arm a track and hit record
2. strum a few bars of a chord (any instrument can be the same)
3. set the looped region and adjust until it loops seamlessly
4. go to tools/render to new track, and click, choose the option render looped region only,

Waa Laa a new loop, delete the origina and save as acid file

I may well not know about the greater and wider world but I have always used ACID as a full multitracker. I’m not clear what else I could want.

As many tracks as I want
Bus and Track effects
Master Effects

Everything seems to be there. Perhaps not as easily matched to a real mixer as other packages but it’s a fine tool for full fledged mixing + the looping makes it even better.

I agree Acid does multiple tracks, but not as effectively as a program like N-T, or cakewalk, or cubase. it was not designed to run like that, it will allow you to build as many looped or recorded tracks as you want, it is very limited at midi, although it is a tad better now, and will link with other programs through rewire. But it is not a true multitracker in the sense that it was not designed to work as a tool for a whole band to plug into and record an album. You can make it do most things pretty well, and some things great, I have done several complete songs on it, but other programs do some aspects of recording better, and easier. Looping is it’s strong point, it kicks arse at that.

Again it boils down to what you are comfortable with. I spent the last three years over at acidplanet, and still go there often, and really love the program, but for my style of recording (live guitars, midi drums, and bass, and keys, live vocals it is not the best program out there.