OT: Audio Compositor

Gone for good?

Hey there,

One of the packages I use frequently is Audio Compositor, a fantastic shareware thing that renders MIDI to wav using soundfonts.

Just recently I noticed that the website has vanished off the face of the Earth. Anyone know whether it has just moved, or disappeared for ever - likewise the software itself?

Fortunately, I have all my downloads securely backed up, but there was some useful Help info on the site that I have made use of from time to time, so it would be a shame if it has gone for good.

Cheers,

Really? it was a great product. But times has changed, time ago it was the only guy in the block, but today you have a lot of options, and some free, maybe this ruin their sales.
By example, you can render at high quality using sfz. And also you can use SynthFont that has a very close goal to Audio Compositor but is free and growing.

Well - I use Timidity to render midi to wav from a soundfont - does an awesome job - I use a little batch file - a single right-click and I get a rendered WAV.

However, I can’t do track by track rendering - the wave output files do not start at 0 time - they start at the first note played - far too hard to sync.

However - if SynthFont manages the track by track output I may well switch.

I do feel that this could be a really neat feature to add to N-Track - MIDI to WAV using Soundfont. This could be done without the hassle of setting up VST instruments and tracks etc. Anyway - I can hope.

Thanks marce

Simon

If you already have programmed you midi track into N (or even if you just import a midi track) the step to then render it to wav using a VSTi isn’t a big step…

I would rather N left it up to you to decide what midi device you want to route the midi track to rather than try and have one built in that would probably end up being a jack of all trades but master of none.

Depdning on whether you had a drum track or a melody track you may want a very different VSTi to playback the midi track

Sometimes you may want a soundfont player, sometimes you may want a sample player…

Audiominds has a good tutorial on how to use sfz in n-Track.
If you already have a midi track it is very easy.

Rich

Thanks guys.

I wasn’t aware of SynthFont, but it looks good. Seems to do all the same stuff as AC but with a few more useful functions on top. I particularly like the fact that you can make minor changes to the MIDI file without having to close it and go back to your MIDI editor, and assign different soundfonts to the same MIDI file at the same time - both things that I frequently found myself wishing AC would do.

I’ll go give it a try.

Cheers,

Quote (DaveC @ April 08 2005,04:38)
Thanks guys.

I wasn't aware of SynthFont, but it looks good. Seems to do all the same stuff as AC but with a few more useful functions on top. I particularly like the fact that you can make minor changes to the MIDI file without having to close it and go back to your MIDI editor, and assign different soundfonts to the same MIDI file at the same time - both things that I frequently found myself wishing AC would do.

I'll go give it a try.

Cheers,

Only be aware that the thing is beta, and a little buggy in some machines, but most times works pretty fine.

luck!