OT:  eBook on Sound Design

Synth Programming

I can’t remember where I ran across this link but I thought this free ebook was pretty cool. It’s about sound design using modern (VST) synths. I haven’t actually used any of the synths covered but the concepts are pretty portable.

How to Make a Noise

The author also has a higher-res version complete with patches for $10 if you really like it. For the free version you have to supply your email address, but I haven’t noticed any extra spam resulting from it.

Enjoy.

Good one that, Hot dog. I have a couple of those synths, and Big Tick’s Rhino is oen of the most amazing ever.

You might want to pick up a copy of the last Computer Music magazine - they have a cut down version of Synth Edit in it, which is a blast and sounds really good, and playing with modular synths is the best way I’ve found for understanding them a little better, given that I’m not a synth guy. :)

Thanks for the tip. I’d never actually looked at Rhino before, but I listened to the sample sounds today and they are killer. Here lately I’ve been favoring Superwave P8 (have you checked that out? very cool) and SampleTank2, but Rhino may be worth spending a few bucks on. I’ll have to d/l the demo. Unfortunately the author seems to have suspended sales for his vacation should I happen to fall in love with it instantly… ???

Thanks for the link HDW - I’m pretty much a Luddite (or bass player - same thing :wink: ) when it comes to the world of synths/midi etc., but I’m pretty interested in doing as much as I can with what I have, and I know it’s all capable of so much more than I’m asking of it now.

(TomS @ Jul. 11 2007,15:56)
Good one that, Hot dog. I have a couple of those synths, and Big Tick’s Rhino is oen of the most amazing ever.

You might want to pick up a copy of the last Computer Music magazine - they have a cut down version of Synth Edit in it, which is a blast and sounds really good, and playing with modular synths is the best way I’ve found for understanding them a little better, given that I’m not a synth guy. :)

I meant “SynthMaker” and not “Synth Edit” - it is SynthMaker (cutdown) that comes with CM. A great way to waste several hours messing with filters and such, and doing the modular thing, even just to make some simple synths, is by far the best way to get what goes on in a synth.

I’m going to post a simple 3 osc synth (just to please my vanity, not because it is anything new, it is not) as soon as I can figure out how the GUI generator works. :)

I think Rhino stands out from the pack - I got Rainbow when it first came out, and at the time it was one of the best, although the GUI is not the greatest - but Big Tick’s developer makes stuff that has a specific sound, which is not always true in VSTi synths. I use his free “Cheese Machine” a lot.

Ah, Synthmaker :)

I’m definitely going to pick up that zine then, I’ve always wanted to play with that! If I’m thinking the right thing that’s sort of a VSTi-maker for people can’t/don’t want to program in C.

I d/l’d the Rhino demo, and it is very cool. Not badly priced either, though like I say you can’t buy it now and there is no ‘return from vacation’ date specified :(