OT: Multi Input USB Audio Device

Looking for one …

Hi guys,

Just a quick question if you don’t mind. The band and I are planning to start recording our new CD in January and I am sorting out a brand new PC for the purpose. One of the requirements is a multi-input interface, with an aboslute minimum of 8 inputs (preferably 10) so that we have the capability to record the drum mics straight into separate channels.

Having pondered long and hard the merits of separate USB/FireWire devices and aoundcards/breakout boxes, I have come down on the side of the separate interface, preferably running under USB2.

There was one USB2 device (whose name escapes me right now) that was reviewed in a recent issue of Computer Music, with 10 in and 10 out for around £250, that scored (IIRC) 8 or 9 out of 10, which seems a good place to start looking.

Anyone have any experience with these beasts, or any opinions on devices that I might consider? That price bracket (£250-£300) is where I am looking to pitch it.

Cheers,
DaveC

Just so I understand, you specifically want USB? Not Firewire or something else entirely, like an S/PDIF Pre through a soundcard with a digital in, etc? Also, are you needing something with preamps built in, or are you simply wanting 8 channels?

Fish

<!–QuoteBegin>

There was one USB2 device (whose name escapes me right now) that was reviewed in a recent issue of Computer Music,

The Edirol UA-1000 is the only USB2 device I know of with more than four inputs. The only guy I know who said he had one was Waveman24 - haven’t seen him around for a while. While the UA-1000 is pretty tricked out (inserts, pres,) you’ll have more option if you open up to firewire too.

Willy.

Sorry Guys,

To clarify … FireWire is also fine (not sure why I specified USB2 as a preference, must have had a brainfart), but I am not looking at S/PDIF etc.

Also, don’t need preamps etc. as all that will be handled before it gets to the audio device, just the input channels are what I need.

Thanks again,
Dave

Personally, I’d go FireWire. Many more options out there and it is a proven protocol for transferring multi-channel audio to the PC/MAC. USB2.0 has a higher burst speed 480Mbps versus 400 Mbps for FireWire. FireWire smokes USB2.0 in SUSTAINED transfer specs though and thats what you want to prevent glitches, pops, etc…

My 2 centavos anyway…

TG

PS Look for a MOTU 828mkII on eBay? BUTTLOADS of happy 828 users out there…

how much is a buttload anyways? I mean, how much can you really store that way?

Quote (savingedmund @ Nov. 01 2005,14:30)
how much is a buttload anyways? I mean, how much can you really store that way?

Depends on the butt I suppose. ???

TG -- elucidator of euphemisms

Lots of inputs on a budget - Hercules FW 16/12. Mine works well, still trying to get it completely dialed in though. No new drivers since march though.

Hi again guys,

This is the Mother that I saw in CM a few months ago …

ESP1010

Quite like the look of this, even though it is PCI rather than USB or Firewire. CM scored it 9/10, and said that the missing point was entirely due to the fact that they don’t include an AC power supply to run the 48v Phantom Power in the box - you have to buy it separately.

Just have a couple of questions though.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the PCI approach as opposed to USB/Firewire?

Does the PCI connection act as a soundcard, or is it just to drive the device itself? If it does act as a soundcard, is it likely to conflict with any other soundcard already installed (the new PC is being suppled with a Soundblaster Live! 24bit card already in situ).

Thanks in advance, once again,
Dave

<!–QuoteBegin>

If it does act as a soundcard, is it likely to conflict with any other soundcard already installed (the new PC is being suppled with a Soundblaster Live! 24bit card already in situ).

It’ll act like a normal soundcard. It can have problems, but can often live besides it quite happily. I actually play all my games through the Herc and have disabled the onboard sound. Point being, you can map games and the like to the SBlive and set the preferences in Ntrack to whatever you like, but I just can’t be bothered setting up a switch or a couple of patchbay cables for it to send it to the same speakers.