OT Rebirth for free

One of the first virtual instruments to get really popular was Propellerheads’ Rebirth - their recreation of the Roland
TB-303, TR-808, and TR-909 bassline and rhythm boxes.

Now they have officially discontinued the product, they have made a website dedicated to it where you can also download it for free.

Unfortunately it isn’t VST but you should be able to synch it up to n-track using Midi Yoke or similar. It’s a fun little programme even if you just use it to make loops you can then use in n-track.

Link? :)

http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/ :;):

Cool. :)

Wow… cool. I’m not into dance/techno but might come in handy.

217Mb!!! will have to set it going when I get home :)

thanks for the heads up Jeff

Rich

How much fun is that!? Thanks, Jeff!

I think you have to have a Bit Torrent account set up to download it.

I stumbled on this a while back whilst looking for something else. The idea seemed really cool at the time, but I have to say I gave up after about two minutes of playing around!

If anyone actually gets anywhere with this, I’d love to know.

Don’t let the Bittorrent download stop you; it’s easy peasy with the software that the site recommends.

Mark

AWESOME, THANKS!!!

Bittorrent looks like a napster-like file sharing program - is that what it is? In any case, it required some version of java that I don’t have. Well, I installed everything, and got rebirth, plus some of the mods of it. Never really looked at it, but we can use it with a midi loop back device in n-Track, so this looks like it will be fun.

Well, Rebirth is exactly what it is. I don’t think it will be of any great use to me, but it is nice to be able to see what the fuss was about. :)

I downloaded it (just got my ISP upgrade the other day), played with it, got my kicks, and smiled. I now know why ReBirth turned freeware. This is actually some sort of meta-nostalgia, where you get nostalgic over a piece of software emulating even older, obsolete hardware, and getting obsolete itself.

I should add, however, that ReBirth is by no means useless. Time has just taken its toll on it, and more powerful solutions exist today. It is sort of like playing with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum emulator on your 3 GHz Pentium IV PC, a thing I have done on several occasions. You smile, play for a while, and get on with life.

:D

regards, Nils

<!–QuoteBegin>

meta-nostalgia

Exactly!

I’m still going to try to get a few things out of it, just to see what happens - different tools guide one in different ways after all. My wife says it all sounds like stuff from her aerobics class… :)