OT: Why have my speakers started to buzz?

Massively irritating …

Hey guys,

I have been running my PC with a pair of Edirol MA10A powered speakers for the last 3 years with no problems at all - good speakers for the price (less than $100).

However, over the weekend they spontaneously started to hum/buzz. Absolutely nothing whatsoever has been changed, moved or altered, they just hum now, where they didn’t on Friday. I have checked all the cable connections, no problems there, and it doesn’t appear related to the PC as the sound is absolutely identical whether the PC is switched on or not. On top of that, it doesn’t change with the volume either, it is just a constant, massively annoying hum.

The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like the hum/buzz that my Grandad’s old (very old) wooden cased record player used to make whenever it was switched on.

Anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Try turning off the pc and unplugging it. If the buzz goes away, then you have a ground loop. Try plugging in and unplugging all power connections a few times (in their same outlets) and see if that cleans it up…

Also unplug the monitor as well…

I solved a similar problem by plugging the PC monitor in using a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter. Unplug every item until the hum is eliminated, that isolates it. If you take out the audio plug to the sdpeaker, does the hum go away?

However, you may also want to check to see if you have any of the following installed in the house, as they can cause this (maybe you installed one this weekend):

light dimmer
halogen lamp
one of those lights that turns on when it gets dark
Sometimes some appliances
Portable phone?