OT: why I like this board

grr…

First, since I know that no one here knows, I’m getting married in the spring. Yay! Well, I am in charge of the music, and was going to use celtic music for the initial stuff and most of the walkdown stuff. However, I need to find some songs that are good, and also have good meanings. I mean, a wedding is real symbolic and stuff, and I want good meanings. So I went to a celtic music board and asked for suggestions on some songs. This board had multiligual celtic experts. It should not have taken long. However, since I overstated the credentials of one of my Burns Professor, (and since I am american and I rarely use spell check when quickposting, two things that apparently are cardinal sins in their book), all I got were about 25 email ridiculing my professor and me. (oh, and a few joke suggestions, which is to be expected in a forum.) I guess, since I always come here when I have questions about recording and stuff, and always get good advice, I expected the same elsewhere. Well, I was wrong, but thank you guys for always being there. I now know how lucky I am to have found this place. Thanks.

Fish

Congrats on wedding bells!!! It’s not to late to run like h**l :D
Just remember one thing, and this is the most important…
Marriage puts a serious damper on gear purchases. It’s all about the house and the kids. :D

But seriously… Congrats!!!

Well, as I can’t sleep, and being a long time Celt, here’s my wee bit. :)

First and foremost; Ride On performed by Christy Moore.

True, you ride the finest horse I have ever seen
Standing 16’ one or two, with eyes wild and green
And you ride the horse so well, hands light to the touch
I could never go with you no matter how I wanted to

Ride on, see you, I could never go with you no matter how I wanted to

When you ride into the night, with not a trace behind
Run your claw along my gut, one last time
I turn to face the empty space, where you used to lie
And look for a spark to light up the night
Through a teardrop in your eye

No matter how I wanted to

Love song? Perhaps not.

There again, when you hear the words along side the glory of the music, then you only get the feeling. And then perhaps, it’s the most wonderful love song you’ve ever heard. :)

Ali

Quote (Ali_G @ Oct. 30 2005,22:51)
Well, as I can’t sleep, and being a long time Celt, here’s my wee bit. :)

First and foremost; Ride On performed by Christy Moore.

True, you ride the finest horse I have ever seen
Standing 16’ one or two, with eyes wild and green
And you ride the horse so well, hands light to the touch
I could never go with you no matter how I wanted to

When you ride into the night, with not a trace behind
Run your claw along my gut, one last time
I turn to face the empty space, where you used to lie
And look for a spark to light up the night
Through a teardrop in your eye

Love song? Perhaps not.

There again, when you’re in the right mood, and listen to the glory of the music, then perhaps, it’s the most wonderful love song you’ve ever heard. :)

Ali

If I may, being of Irish decent, and having married an Irish girl, I can tell you that the Irish can pull a tear while singing the praises of a good hot bowl of porridge! This might explain the great bruhaha you got in response to your query…that, and the fact you didn’t use spell-check! :laugh:

We Americans seem to be known for our disregard of the spell-check feeture, generilly spicking.

Are you having a dig Sloom? Or mayhap boasting about the USA’s contribution to English Grammar! LOL

Ach anyway, are you apologising for your Irish descent, or do you somehow feel it’s something that justifies you waving your balls about? :D

Ali

<!–QuoteBegin>

Marriage puts a serious damper on gear purchases. It’s all about the house and the kids.

But seriously… Congrats!!!

Yep.

Congrats.

Can’t help with the music, but remember that if you are having the traditional-congregation-sing-along if it’s all new stuff you and your spouse may be the only ones singing!

Mark

Many congrats, Fish! Marriage is the most wonderful thing next to a Strat plugged into an old Vox turned up really loud! :)

Seriously - congrats!

my daughter was married last june and her music theme was celtic. she even hired a bagpiper for the guys ‘walk-in’. i recorded myself performing the music for seating and walk-in and it turned out pretty well. the music i used for seating was instrumental versions of “katie dear” and VanDeimans Land - U2. i used a MIDI bass flute and bassoon and an accoustic guitar…and N-track software with Classic plugins. For the bride’s processional i played pachebel’s canon in D with an accoustic guitar and made about 4 tracks of overdubs. On the recessional my son (a reason, PT user) recorded himself doing a satriani version of “midsummer night’s dream - exit march” or something like that…i dont know the exact title. our music was all instrumental and, based on the comments, it turned out very well.

cliff :cool:

<!–QuoteBegin>

For the bride’s processional i played pachebel’s canon in D

Ahh…among wedding musicians it’s known as the “Taco Bell” Canon. :)

Kidding! It is a very good and appropriate piece of music, obviously!

Congratulations Fish… No more lonely Friday nights for you… (you’ll always have your right hand!) Married for life and if you take the I out of married you find that you are marred for life. But enough with the married jokes… take my wife… please…

:p

It is a funny thing that when people find out that 2 people are about to be wed, they say “congratulations” to the groom, but “good luck” to the bride. Since women are the ones that really push for marriage, shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Hmmmm

Mike

I was looking for Celtic MIDIs last year and stumbled upon http://www.electricscotland.com and it has a lot of MIDIs and info on Burns, Scotland in General, etc. Take a look here:

http://www.electricscotland.com/music/mmusiccol.htm

There are some beautiful tunes there. You might ask Ali what would be appropriate for weddings. Personally, I like “Lord MacDonald” and “Dumbarton’s Drums” but they are probably inappropriate for the occasion.

Marriage has been the most important thing in my life. We are nearing forty-five years (in December) and I just don’t know where I would be today if it were not for my wife’s love and encouragement. Marriage takes a lot of work as in anything else worthwhile. It needs to be constantly nurished and renewed to stay healthy and alive. Best wishes to you both.

HTH

Don

Quote (DrGuitar @ Oct. 31 2005,09:55)
…It is a funny thing that when people find out that 2 people are about to be wed, they say “congratulations” to the groom, but “good luck” to the bride. Since women are the ones that really push for marriage, shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Hmmmm

Mike

Seems that some surprises are more unpleasant than others- ask my wife! :laugh:

And I have to note, having said that: It’s good to have a home. Frankly, for my part, I needed a little more reason than just myself to pull that together, and I bet I’m not the only dude here who feels that way. And yep, it’s well worth all the work- love is a great thing. So,…

“Good Luck!” :D
Quote (Ali_G @ Oct. 30 2005,23:40)
Are you having a dig Sloom? Or mayhap boasting about the USA's contribution to English Grammar! LOL

Ach anyway, are you apologising for your Irish descent, or do you somehow feel it's something that justifies you waving your balls about? :D

Ali

:D Hee-hee... you got me!

What's "Grammar"?

<!–QuoteBegin>

What’s “Grammar”?

Is that a trick questern? She’s my Mommer’s Mommer of course.
Quote (phoo @ Oct. 31 2005,15:10)
Is that a trick questern? She's my Mommer's Mommer of course.

terrible. just terrible. :D

that electric scotland site might help, actually. thanks. It has all the lyrics with it and stuff. I have Real Rapsody, so I can... umm... "listen to" different versions of them if I find something I like. (what? I can have n running on record in the background while I "listen to" this stuff, can't I?) Thanks a lot for the suggestions and advice. I'll check the rest when I get back home to my pc. anything and everything is appreciated.

the "nearly hooked" fish

Yes congrats Fish!

I’ve been married for… well… A LONG TIME! (Over twenty YEARS). I will say this, I love my wife and hope and pray nothing ever happens to separate us. Now, having said that… she is the first and LAST Mrs.gtr4Him! It’s cheaper to rent or borrow… BEST OF LUCK!

TG

PS I agree. This is a cool forum. I can’t help much on the Celtic music front though. I’d go for Tom’s Strat through a cranked VOX if it were me though! :p

You’re right Don, there is a lot of very beautiful traditional Celtic music, but there’s also a lot of very good “modern” stuff too that still keeps the flame burning.

And I still say, Christie Moore has to be your first stop there.

Listen to “Ride On” Fish; a haunting Gaelic melody that would never be out of place at any Celtic event, no matter how traditional.

But if you are looking for older stuff, then Lizzie Lindsey, Wild Mountain Thyme, Carrickfergus, are amongst my favourites.

But for non vocal stuff, then you have a world of choice. (A few years ago at the Edinburgh tattoo, I heard a solo piper in the street play Guns and Roses’ Sweet Child of Mine, and it was absolutely incredible! :D)

Quote (DrGuitar @ Oct. 31 2005,09:55)
Congratulations Fish… No more lonely Friday nights for you… (you’ll always have your right hand!)

Heh, I am not married, but after living with the same person for 7 years, you’ll get to the point where you want a Friday night just to be left alone to solder cable, or rearrange the studio, or lay face down on the floor. You become so completely de lonlified you can’t wait to be left alone for 10 minutes. :D

Though, I wouldn’t want to have it any other way. Girls is swell if you get the right one, especially if you can find one that will work as a team with you to take over the known universe and will call your mother to make excuses as to why you can’t make it for dinner some night cause you just plain don’t feel like it. Or when you need cream applied somewhere awful… That’s when you know you have the right one, when they aren’t afraid of your dirty under drawers or putting cream on weird hairy purple things on your butt. THen you know it is love. (Of course, you’ll have your turn putting cream on something too, so don’t get too smug.) :;):

My daughter just brought me a CD of Irish music by Alisa Jones all instrumental and played on a hammered dulcimer. Just beautiful, Fish!

Bubba, Or when you come home from deer hunting and she starts to chew the deerhide to make you a pair of slippers and a doeskin jacket.

Don