Out of synch

Problem with synchronising vocals

Hope someone can help this newbie!

I have a Creative Audigy 2NX USB soundcard. I have recorded a wave file, using Noteworhy Composer and my midi keyboard.
When I record a vocal track (approx. 3 minutes), the resulting song has the vocal track creeping ahead of the intrumental track, especially in the middle of the track - it seems to come almost right again at the end.
Any ideas?

Are you singing on time? Are you using a metronome or click track?

Unfortunatlly there’s any number of reasons this could be happening, depending on your proccessor speed. Ie 1G, 2.6G, 766mhz ect. CPU…
And other things that can slow music programs down in general, IE other music programs…not needed at the moment of course. Again if your running on anything higher than 800mhz speed shouldn’t be an issue. Even with a couple of music programs goin’ at once.
There’s all kinds of settings inside the prefrences box that can help the computer keep up with the task, 'cause based on the info in the question this does sound like a lag problem. make shure you have the program set for higest priority. You can mess around with other setting as well like, mono playback during recording. Sometimes if it’s a slower computer, you can bring up the CPU by a few ajustments.
Also, if you really like the vocal track and don’t have time to re-do it but need a mix anyway, you can copy and paste different parts of it, moving them around on the timeline until they’re n~sync. Just highlight the part thats off. Go to Edit>Copy
Now slide the track edge past the part your tyin to fix. Highlight the area again if it didn’t stay that way. Edit>Paste Now you can soom in on the timeline (magnifying glass icon that has a plus in it. Now click the cross icon that has arrows on all 4 sides. Right click Hold, and slid ethe track part, forward or back till it sounds right.

Hope this helped, if not someone more knowlegable will shime in soon enough…]

jerm

Quote (Wes @ Oct. 16 2004,18:52)
Hope someone can help this newbie!

I have a Creative Audigy 2NX USB soundcard. I have recorded a wave file, using Noteworhy Composer and my midi keyboard.
When I record a vocal track (approx. 3 minutes), the resulting song has the vocal track creeping ahead of the intrumental track, especially in the middle of the track - it seems to come almost right again at the end.
Any ideas?

Hi Wes:
I don't work in midi, but, as I read your post I'm thinking that mabey, you have NoteworthyComposer files that are "unrendered" and when importing them into n-Track there may be an issue with "Sample/Word-Lengths" or something like that, causing a sync'ing issue between n-Track and Noteworthy..

It might be interesting to convert the Noteworthy files to .wav files in n-Track first, and then see what happens.. ??? :O

Mabey, none of that applies to your issue, but it might inspire you to tackle the issue another way..

Bill..

Thanks Marce - yes, I’m singing in time (at least, in time with the instrumental track)

Bill - I used Wave Creator to save the midi file as a .wav file, and imported that into n-Track.

Jerm - Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 1 GH processor - I had no problems until recently - am wondering whether the Win XP SP2 upgrade has stuffed things up?

Wes

Hi,
try using 48.000 as your default samplerate.
There are some wellknown synch problems regarding the 44.100 samplerate when running a Soundblaster Card.
Regards Henrik

:D
Thanks everyone! Tinkering with the buffers seemed to do the trick!

Wes