Out of the closet...

…comes the Punk

Time to go public! Check out my Finnish Punk epic at my Myspace-page. Its the first that I’ve made public under the alias Petoviha.

The name of the song, Maa means Earth.
It’s recorded some years ago with an old casette four track, then transferred to a computer via some low-tech soundcards and mixed in ecasound and Linux. I didn’t have nTrack back then. That mixing session did not go so well, I had a too-slow computer, was not really familiar with ecasound, so I used it in a fairly tedious non-real-time text-string mode and ended up blowing a speaker on my hifi - which I used for monitoring. Almost blew an eardrum, as well.

I’ve applied some compression,
EQ and whatnot on the track now. It got a bit punchier, but I the sound is still a mess. Whatever, that
´s not the point.

The point is in the Punk!

:agree: Space'punk leaning toward punk'jazz? Or punk'fusion lol That's not a genera I hear much even though I've been called a punk. Your bridge and chorus are very original, sounds like a good show william!

You don’t say how long ago you recorded Maa but it has a genuine 1977 UK feel.

Channeling Johnny Rotten, eh? I love this. :laugh:

I like this one too, is a lot of energy.
And not a bad overall sound considering you started with an old tape.

Interesting to hear this as 20% of my music collection comes from Finland. Nice authentic ‘low tech’ punk sound. Captured the feel nicely. Well done! :agree:

Myspace crashes my browser. Maybe it’s time to update the net-box from win 3.1?
:disagree:

From reading everybody’s comments, I would probably like to hear this song. Iwont Tell, would you be willing to e-mail a copy to me? (I have thought of setting up an anonymous ftp directory at my site; I wonder if my isp allows that? Hmmm…) If so, thanks; if not, well, I do plan to get a new netting computer soon, so I can take this as an opportunity to practice patience… :)

'til next time;
tony

Thanks for the encouraging response!

This must have been recorded around the turn of the century. A dive into the archives might reveal an more accurate date. I’ve got a couple more of this stuff lying around, gotta sift trough it at some point.

wynot, I’ll see what I can do…I need a rest right now: It’s hard to be a punk-rocker, working for the Man.

Finland had its own of Punk-movement in the late -70’s and the 80’s. So this song is probably influenced by stuff I heard on the radio as a boy…
I’m born a country boy, I wrote the song in my head one day in the fields, driving the tractor:-) As a coincidence, many of the original Finnish punk-bands came from small country towns. Rural-punk! But the recording was made in the city-ish town of Oulu, where I studied.

I:-T

Quote: (wynot @ Oct. 09 2009, 8:52 AM)

Myspace crashes my browser. Maybe it's time to update the net-box from win 3.1?

Myspace crashes on everyones browser doesn't it?

I loved it, great stuff :agree:
Quote: (ange @ Oct. 11 2009, 9:09 AM)

Quote: (wynot @ Oct. 09 2009, 8:52 AM)

Myspace crashes my browser. Maybe it's time to update the net-box from win 3.1?

Myspace crashes on everyones browser doesn't it?

Well! Now I don't feel so bad... Remember Dylan's lyric about:"I froze, right to the bone. New York Times said it was the coldest winter in fifteen years. I didn't feel so cold then!"

'til later;
tw

Hi Iwont Tell:
It sounds great over here…

The page opens-and-streams with no issues…

I have an ASUS/Intel dual processor setup with Vista Home Premium 32-bit…

The kids around here would give up there lunch money to load that stuff on their i-Pods…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Oct. 12 2009, 12:28 PM)

The kids around here would give up there lunch money to load that stuff on their i-Pods..

After another dreary day at the office, the great vision arrives: I should like totally sell out, rip off my band buddies for their share, go live in a LA mansion with a model, the loose it all to the crooked lawyer I hired to do the ripping-off.

Sounds like a plan :agree:. Guess I'd need more than one three-minute tune, though :-)