P-4 Dual Boot

DAW Update

I am steadily gaining a foot-hold on this P-4 Dual boot rebuild. Today, I installed the Lexicon CORE-32 audio hardware… and installed the drivers… They interact quite well with the computer… n-Track and the rest of the software and setup. The ASIO Drivers are about the only set of drivers that I intend to use…

However, I have discovered that the IRQ assignment is shared with the LAN/Network part of the computer… along with several other pieces of computer hardware… IT says in the computer properties that there are no hardware conflicts but when I try to import files into n-Track useing the LAN/Network n-Track locks up… This is a feature that I use all the time… “Streaming” audio files through the network… I don’t mind if the setup shares it’s IRQ assignments with any other pieces of hardware… but I’d like to have the Lexicon audio card with it’s own IRQ… There is a Com 2 Irq that I am considering to move it to… … IRQ 3 But I know very little about assigning that IRQ to the PCI port… The PCI port that I have the Lexicon Card plugged into is PCI Port 2

Is there a simple way of describing how I would go about re-assigning IRQ 3 to PCI Port 2 on this Mainboard?

Bill…

[EDIT]
I tried to burn a DVD of the '98SE Desk that I would use as a Back-Up to this Build… But I am unable to Burn a Bootable DVD disk that will boot… A screen appears saying that process is restricted…

Bill

You may be able to set the interrupts for the PCI slots in your computer’s bios. Also, I think that your computer will be forced to reassign the interrupts if you move the PCI cards to other slots. You might luck out and get find the audio card gets assigned its own interrupt if you simply move it.

On many PCs the BIOS will let you assign IRQs to card slots 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Actually, each slot has 4 PCI IRQs: A, B, C, and D. But, if the BIOS menu doesn’t say which of these (A, B, C, D) is being assigned to an IRQ number, it’s likely that it’s only assigning the IRQ number to PCI IRQ A. Since many PCI cards only use IRQ A, you are then just assigning an IRQ to a slot.

Lots of devices can share IRQs without difficulty BUT you are likely to have problems if your network card is sharing an interrupt with anything else, even if Windows doesn’t report a conflict.

T

Hi Bill!

Man I see you’ve been wrestling with getting your systems together. I know all about that - too well! lol!

I finally bought a new laptop to replace all my partially finished PC and mac projects and things have been much less troubling since then.

One good thing about notebooks is you’re forced to use firewire or usb which eliminates all your old hardware completely. Then you can relax and put all those PCI cards to rest in an anti-static bag or sell them on ebay or elsewhere. I bought a Yamaha I88x which uses firewire and its much better than all my old PCI cards.

About the IRQ assignments, I think all you have to do is go to control panel/system/system/hardware/device manager and select " resources by connection" from the view menu. It should list everything thats plugged in or hardwired and you can set the IRQs as you see fit. I think this is all you have to do -unless I don’t know what I’m talking about! lol.

no cents

-say, it looks like you’re from Nova Scotia…how’s the weather been up there? I’ve been wanting to take a trip there and to New Brunswick.

Hi nocents and tspringer and All:
All this came about when the Mainboard failed on this P-4 computer… The chipset on the failed board was a series 850 … whatever… and the replacment board is an 865 series… I believe that is where and how the issues surfaced…

I haven’t begun to address the XP Desk… I shudder to think how the XP Drive is gonna react to ALL This… I think I’m gonna be in for a “Rude Awakening”…

I planed to spend my time this past week and load all the Plugins I have on this build… But I only got a couple loaded… I wanted to “Ghost” this '98SE Build… But I don’t know how to do IT… I tried a few times but ran into “Stalled” DVD Burns… IT wouldn’t allow the Burn to produce a “Bootable” DVD Copy. If IT ain’t one thing… IT’s a half-Dozen, things… At this point-in-time the build is over 2 gig. in size. So I am in a bind burnning the disk in '98SE format… '98SE only recoginizes a 2 gig. file size… I’ve gone past the “Break-Point”… I just hope that I don’t uncover an un-repairable/un-bootable issue with this build… as - IT - Goes… If only I knew more about building Computer Operating Systems. :O ???

The weather has been spectactular up here… We had the mildest winter on record… That doesn’t mean to say we didn’t get any snow… But our heating systems… in these parts… got a real break… Money-Wise…

No-one can predict how the weather will be… We are surrounded by water… and IT is the big influence…

If you’ve never been in these parts don’t let the weather hold you back… Just make sure ya got rain gear and rubber boots… and lots of money… :laugh: :p Today, IT’s rainn’in to beat the band… but… No-one knows what “Band” IT is… :p No-one ever regretted visiting these parts… IT’s the greatest place in the world to visit-and-leave or live…

I’ve never done this… But “Google” the Cabot Trail… see what comes up… or the Bay of Fundy…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I forgot to ask… Where do you call “Home”… ?

[EDIT Again]
The IRQ assignment on the Network is quite important… I would think… That’s if I use the the network for “Streaming” audio files… while useing that Lexicon CORE-32 audio card… or any other audio card that’s on this machine… If I could somehow assign that Core-32 Card to the printer port IRQ or mabey one of the Com Ports I think I’d be outta the woods…

Bill

Take a look at

http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/steroids.html

Might give you some ideas on making your boot DVD work.

T

O.K. I took a peek at that link. What a great link… I have some “Brain Fartting”… to do… That’ll keep me busy…

I’m looking into the BIOS and trying to assign IRQ’s to PCI slots… NO-GO… so far… I’m “Saving” my changes but they don’t seem to do anything when I check the properties after the DESK boots… I don’t know why… ?? Three devices are on this RIQ 10… The graphics card… the Lexicon card and the S/B 5.1 card … No wonder n-Track locks up… when I import wave files through the LAN… I guess my ability to re-assign IRQ’s is not takeing hold, in the BIOS… or something… If I could get the LAN off IRQ 10 I might be heading in the right direction…

But I’d like to get just the Lexicon Card off IRQ. 10 and then SEE… The BIOS IRQ assignment area says that ALL the IRQ’s are “available”… Whatever that means… I tried to get PCI slot assigned to IRQ 3 But… NO-GO… IT don’t happen… And… I think I have PnP… defeated or de-selected… Seems as though I’m missing something… But, I don’t know what…

Bill…

Try using the device manager to set the interrupts as suggested by nocent. Maybe the changes will ‘stick’ then.

T

Hi tspringer:
I gave the IRQ assignments a try in the Device Manager… NO-GO… the screen appeared saying that windows will decide these resources… I removed the Lexicon Audio card… I moved the S/B 5.1 card to Slot # 1 and I tried the Lexicon Card in the next two slots… The best I can manage is the Built in card and the S/B Card are on IRQ 5 with the LAN … and the Lexicon card in slot 3 with the USB controller on IRQ 11… There’s not a whole lotta choice… That’s with the BIOS in the auto mode. for the IRQ’s… That has turned into one big issue… I’m not so sure I can handle it…
I’ve put a bunch of time into it already… I’m frightened that’ll I’ll do something and the '98SE Desk will lock up and wouldn’t boot up…

Bill…

Bill

I feel your pain…

But, the chances are good that you’re not going to have a happy system until you get the IRQs worked out. I think that you might have given a clue to solving the problem in your last posting. If the BIOS interrupt selection is in the AUTO mode, I think that the manual changes that you make in the IRQ settings will be ignored. Also I suspect that Windows is detecting that the BIOS is in the auto mode and is just telling you that when you go into the device manager. Turn off the AUTO mode and try one more time to make the changes. You can always go back into the BIOS and re-enter your current settings if you have a problem booting.

T

Hi tspringer:
I know I had a manual that came with the mainboard on config’ing the BIOS… For the life of me I am unable to find IT… I think I put IT somewhere so I’d remember where IT was??? ???

Anyway, I’ll have another GO at this… BIOS config. I’m thinking that if IT doesn’t resolve, I’ll begin removing and shutting down hardware from the mainboard till I have IT reduced to a bare mininium of what the machine can accomidate and what I need operating in the BOX, for studio work… I’d like to have IT ALL up-and-running/working… BUT I have to-do-what-I-have -todo. Too Bad… I see that as putting a “Crimp” on the BOX…

Why is it I don’t have that limitation on this Intel/ASUS cusl2-c P-111? It has only a 1.2 mhz processor… But, IT ALL Works… IT’s not the fastest… machine I know of…

Bill…

Bill

If you can’t find your manual, most board manufacturers put the manuals for their motherboards on the net. You should be able to find the info you need there. Try

Here

T

I followed the link and couldn’t find P4P800-SE Mainboard. There appears to be lots of reference to the boatd… but at the link you posted… I’m gonna spend more time to see if I can chase down a link that’ll show IT… Lottsa times there’ll be support fourms for some boards. The ASUS CUSL2-C board was a seemingly “Classic” board… There is a Board that talks this board up as if there was no other board…

The thing is… This P4P800-SE board was dropped for the P4P800-Deluxe Board… Some of the differences are … There is no on-board Firewire support for the 'SE version… That’s just fine with me. I’m not in the “FireWire” Camp… However, FireWire support would go down alright with me, if I had IT…

A friend of mine that I spoke about on the other Thread has “Firewire” hardware, in his set-up… He had a paraellel failure at the same time… We both had Mainboards that went down… He’s in the middle of some real issues with his set-up, as well…

If I didn’t know better, I’d say the 865 chipset is the bottle-neck that we both are expirencing…

He’s the guy that’s working with those “SAX” Samples… He’s a Keyboard Player, by trade… He was just getting comfortable playing “SAX” Samples with his keyboard when his set-up failed…

He brought a pre-amp from a Westburn acoustic guitar over to me for some repair… That’s when we learned we had ASUS Mainboard failuers…

Too bad though… He’s not an n-Tracker… :O :( :laugh:

Bill…

Bill

Didn’t know the model number of your board before. THe manual for the P4P800 SE board is

Here.

T

Hi tspringer:
I found the link and I’m downloading the manual as I reply … here… Thanks for the link… I somehow can never find a page that has what I wanrt/need but someone posts it and that’s - that… With my modem and wire it’ll take me another 21 minutes… But the are some other files there… I’m gonna check… I think the BIOS version that is installed on this board is 1009… but to make sure I’ll boot the machine. We’ll see…

The ASUS disk I have has all the drivers and updates… But I am at a loss… I didn’t see the Manual for the board on there…

Bill…

Intel P-4 Dual Boot Update…

I finally got the IRQ assignments to work and I have the '98SE Desk up-and-running.

I found the User Guide/Manual… IT was in the place I decided to put IT so I wouldn’t forget where IT was… It was under another book in the bathroom… That’s where I do most of my reading… and understanding how things work and all…

Anyway, I had to BIOS/Disable all the on-board hardware… that the mainboard had… Network audio USB Serial and Parallel ports to FREE-UP the IRQ’s… Can’t be used and assign IRQ’s at the same time… The On-Board hardware takes preceedent over the IRQ assignments of the PCI Ports… on this board, anyway… Mabey, there’s another way to do this but for now…

When the dust settles, I will fire up the XP drive and look into the issues that might develop as that rebuild takes hold…

A mainboard failure is something I wouldn’t soon forget…

The hardware so far seems to be working well with each-other… The Lexicon Core-32 Card needs it’s own IRQ… I have a S/B 5.1 card… a modem Promise-T raid card modem and Matrox G-550 graphics card with two DVD Burners and five 80-gig, hard drives…

I am unable to get USB support yet… IT would be nice to have some USB Rev.2.0 ports…

Bill…

I’m still working away on this P-4 machine… I tried to get the XP Drive to boot to a desk… NO-GO… All I got was a Blue Screen… and a RAM Dump… Saying to avoid causing damage to the computer IT was shutting down… IT is the original drive that the XP Desk was loaded on… IT’s a Maxtor 80 gig, 7200 rpm 8 meg buffer hard drive… IT can’t be much older than a year old… It is partitioned into two 40 gig’s… I think I’d like to remove the partitions and only have the 80 gig. drive as ONE Partition…

I un-plugged all the other drives and I only have that drive powered up… I set the BIOS boot to Boot from the DVD drive to begin re-installing XP Home…

However I am unable to format the drive or boot from the DVD Burner/Drive to begin installing the Operating System…

What could I be doing that is not allowing me to do this task?

Bill…

Bill

Can you boot to Win98 with both drives attached to your system? If you can, try reformatting the drive where you want to install XP from within Win98. Then disconnect the Win98 drive and see if you can boot Win XP from the CD.

T

Hi tspringer:
I called one of my computer buddies yesterday… He is an “Image” guy… Together we came up with a floppy disk that will boot the machine… in DOS… However, XP will not load from a DOS prompt… or… so I discovered… The drive that I want to load XP on is the original 80 gig Maxtor drive (That was in this P-4 machine) that I bought when I first moved into that operating system… At that time I partitioned the drive into two 40 gig partitions… They appear in DOS when I boot from the floppy disk into DOS… But, that’s all I can do with the DOS screen setup… When I prompt to the DVD drive in DOS I see is the XP Disk directory but when I prompt to “Setup” I get "Windows XP does not load from a DOS Prompt… IF I set the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive IT doesn’t “RUN”…

I will try your suggestion today and see if I make any “Headway” … along those “Lines”… I considered that approach but something kept me from makeing that attempt…

I tried to boot the machine from a "98SE floppy… Boot Disk. When IT did I got the same … XP does not install from a DOS Prompt. I have to be missing some simple BIOS adjustment that’s keeping this machine from running the XP Disk in the DVD reader… I’ve set the Floppy drive as the first boot device… The DVD as the first boot device and all combinations of Boot Configerations I can think of… NO-GO is the answer… IT can only happen to me… ??? :( :laugh:

Bill…

Keep in mind that when Win98 was tested and released machines were much slower - in the 533 mhz range or slower, with most machines in use being much slower. Sticking Win98 on a 1 ghz plus machine could be exposing timing issues that only surface with particular harware andor software. It wasn’t designed for today’s hardware.